Ambassadeur Thumb Bar Problem

Started by Bucktail, October 17, 2010, 08:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

I'm working on an Ambassadeur Record 60.  After the thumb bar is pressed to cast the reel will not engage when turning the handle.  When I opened the reel it seems like it will return when I push it, but when turning the handle it gets hung up just enough to not allow it to return to the original position.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly.  Does this make sense?  Any thoughts?
Just a jig-a-lo

surecatchbilly

Look close at the clutch arm part #22807.The tiniest bit of wear will keep it from engaging.Good luck.
              Surecatch

Brewer

i just finished two of those record 60s. thumbars can be tricky. be sure that the thumb bar is in the upright position when putting the crank sideplate back. if this is not done it will not return after being depressed.
"stay thirsty my friends"

alantani

then thumb bar has a pin in it.  sometimes that pin gets pushed in too far.  you have to pull the pin back out so that it properly engages the return lever.  can you take a look and let us know? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

I tried to pull the pin further out with pliers, but it didn't budge.  I think it's out as far as it goes.  I guess I'll have to order that part?
Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

You can also get this problem if the frame or sideplate is tweaked just a little. A check for this is to slightly loosen the thumb screws on the sideplate and see if the thumb bar release works. It might. If it does, you can decide if you want to bend the frame or sideplate into shape. I just did this with a 7000 Big Game.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

surecatchbilly

712-336-1520 is a good number for abu parts,,they have always done well by me.

alantani

i think this is the best photo i've got and even this one does not show the "return lever" clearly. 

underneath the main gear is a drag washer and then a stainless steel ratchet gear.  when the reel is in free and then you turn the handle, the ratchet gear will strike the bent up lip of the "return lever" and the pushes the entire lever "up."  at that point, the reel pops back into gear,  something is getting in the way of that process.  either the ratchet gear is not catching the lip properly, or the entire return lever is bound up so that it will not "snap" back into position.  before you start ordering parts, pull everything apart again, start fiddling with the parts, work the ratchet gear, see how the return works, then try to figure out where it is "not connecting" or where it is "binding up" and try to fix that.  alan

ssiniscalchi

alantani

Bucktail

Thanks.  I'll try those suggestions next time I have a chance to play with this reel and let y'all know what I find.
Just a jig-a-lo

surecatchbilly

Nice pictures,I wish I had you guys photo skills.It's the bent up lip of the "return lever" that sometimes shows wear,I guess it comes fro
m hitting the crank before the cast has ended.Muskie fishermen sometimes do this,I had spent hours on one before my eye caught the problem.