drag won't hold

Started by Martianfish, October 21, 2010, 01:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martianfish

Alan - I have a Daiwa Accudepth plus 47lc conventional reel and the drag slips, even when I tighten it all the way.  I've opened it and nothing seems wrong.  Put it back together and it works for a while and then nothing.  The washers are 3 metal and 3 fiber, they look like the three set that you show replacing with the five set.  If thats what I need to replace, let me know.  Even if I have to smooth the edges of the metal washers (can do) so that they don't cut the new fiber ones.  I need to do something because its not easy to reel up a nice cabby without a drag.  Thanks, Martianfish

alantani

could you possibly have spectra that is slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Martianfish

Have not thought of that, checked and that does look like it is my problem.  Going to pull all the line off and put some duct tape (cloth style) on the spool and then respool the line.  After I get this done I''ll let you know the results.  Thanks.

Diesel

There's better ways to connect spectra to the spool than duct tape. Here's a tip for the Jerry Brown site:

Myth Busting:  The truth about line slipping on the spool etc. 

Many mistakenly believe that Spectra® will slip on the spool unless you take Draconian measures to prevent it.  Experience has clearly shown that putting on several layers of mono, Dacron or duct tape are totally unnecessary. This practice is not recommended to solve a problem that does not even exist.  Braided line grips the spool much like tread on a tire grips the road better than a smooth one with an infinitely small contact area. 

Before you start spooling, form a good knot, (such as the Berkley Trilene knot) cinch it tightly on one side of the spool leaving a long tag end to be laid across the arbor.  Spool the first full layer of Spectra® onto the spool in a close side-by-side fashion under tension of 6 or more pounds over the tag end.  If this is done, the line will not slip!  No exceptions have been reported but try pulling on it at this point if you have any doubts.  When convinced, you might tell a friend that it works. 

Continue filling the spool under tension without any exaggerated crisscrossing.  Tension about1/2 the drag pressure expected may be appropriate when spooling heavy- duty line. Exaggerated crisscrossing creates open space in the spool which may invite the subsequent layer to dig in.  In any case, crisscrossing is a one-time-event because you would not attempt exaggerated crisscrossing when fighting a fish because to do so would give the fish the opportunity to shake the hook.  Actually, even if you think you are laying the line tightly under tension in a close side-by-side fashion, it is likely that you can't see that you are crossing several wraps every turn because the line is so small diameter.

Some believe that Spectra® should be spooled on wet.  This is not needed, but if it makes you happy, ok.  The main concern with wet spooling is that often insufficient tension is applied.  Fresh water causes no problems, but I would not use sea water which has about 3.5% salt (about a 1/3 pound per gallon).  Salt causes spool erosion.  You would be saturating the line with salt all the way down to the bottom of the spool to start trouble later.

Bryan Young

Instead of stripping off all of the line, I'd used a sharpe marker and put a little dot on the line and spool and tie the line to something rigid and pull with the drags set. If there is any slipping, the two dots will not line up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Martianfish

The small strip of duct tape on the side of the arbor seems to have done the trick.  Didn't do the side by side as my reel has a line guide and the line made several passes on the tape and secured itself nice and tight.  I remember when level wind reels had a small post on the arbor that the line was secured to.  On my other reels without line guides I do the side by side fairly close together until the reel is almost full, leaving room in case I'm fighting a good fish and forget to side by side with my thumb.