Saltist 30Th

Started by Roger, October 21, 2010, 08:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

My son bought a 30TH from Longfin the other day when he had them on sale. He went ahead and ordered some new washers from Dawn at the same time. Both the reel and the washers showed up on the same day and thats never happened before. Tore the reel down and greased everything and pulled the shields and cleaned and oiled the bearings and swapped out the original washers with greased carbon fiber.

Spooled the reel up with 65# Tuff Line Indicator and started playing around with the drag. Worked my way up to 20# with no problems. Cinched it down and went to pull again and before I got the spool to moving I heard a pop and thought, oh hell, there went the ARB. Backed off on the pull and everthing seemed to be ok. Well something popped, don't know what it was so I went ahead tore the reel down again to look at the ARB and it looked fine. Don't quite know what it was so I put it all back together and everything seems fine.

This morning I didn't have anything going on so I decided to pull an Alan Tani and put a spring behind the AR dog. I went ahead and left the little leafs on the dog just to see how it worked and now it sounds like a Penn just clicking away. I kind a like that. If that little cast tit that the AR dog sits on ever breaks I'll pull another Alan Tani and put a screw in there.

Oh, by the way does anybody know where I can get a couple of ARB's for this reel without going through Daiwa. I'd like to get a couple for this reel and keep on hand for when it does give up.

Here's a few pic's, I meant to take more but sometimes I just forget about it when I'm piddling with these things and don't pay any attention to the dates on a couple of the pic's, something got out of wack the other day.

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

unpescador

Kudos on the saltiest mod!!! Thanks to Alan I now have a clicking Torium and was wondering how to do a similar mod to my Saltists. If you could please elaborate on what type of spring you used and how it was secured in place.  ???
Thanks.

Roger

It was just trial and error. I've got a draw with an assortment of small springs and found one that seemed to fit. I tried playing with it a little bit without the sideplate on but the spring would fly out every time. There seems to be a ridge on the inside of the sideplate that holds the AR dog in place which also helps keep the spring on place. Just be sure to watch the spring as you place the sideplate on so it stays put. I've had it right here by my recliner for the last few days playing with it, cranking it, throwing it in freespool and throwing back in gear and no problems so far.

My son goes back out on the boat Tuesday and its going out with him so the real test will be coming in the next few weeks and then we'll see how it holds up.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain