Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

The Bakelite spool Long Beach is a very tough find. I cannot even guess how many of the white spool versions exist.  I have seen that white spool on the Penn 80 and less often on the 85. I assume the same spool from the 85 will work on the Long Beach Model 60.

I have a 1950's red 85 with a white spool. It is a very attractive reel.

But it is not a Long Beach.

I believe yours is the only Long Beach I have ever seen with a white spool. That must have been a special order.

Superhook

Mike,

I have seen one #285 in the box circa 1940 with a white spool. Only ever seen the white spools in the 250 yards size.

Your #85 with the white handle is colour co-ordinated. If you had one green plate Sal would be all over it with one of those non-refusal offers.

Ray

Alto Mare

;D ;D...you got that right Ray.
It has been great having you guys here, I've learned and enjoyed so much. Thanks for not holding back and sharing with all of us. ;)

With all of this amazing info, I'm surprised that Dom (Broadway), is not mentioning his "Big Red" :-\, I would love to hear if you guys have ever seen another 115 with red plates.
Thanks for keeping us on the edge of our seat.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt has been great having you guys here, I've learned and enjoyed so much. Thanks for not holding back and sharing with all of us. Wink
As long as we are fitting into the wants of the Forum, I am happy to share. I like sharing, I always have. I find it difficult to understand collectors that want everything to be a secret. Maybe they figure that if they keep it a secret, only they can get the good deals. That is a sad testament to collecting if that becomes the norm. I like to share the info, it brings more stuff to the surface and broadens the experience for all collectors. It also exposes more of the real, true history and helps to shrink the, ""Hearsay History"".
               So, I am glad we are welcome here and thanks for the kind words........................... :)

QuoteWith all of this amazing info, I'm surprised that Dom (Broadway), is not mentioning his "Big Red" Undecided, I would love to hear if you guys have ever seen another 115 with red plates.
I have never seen a 115 with red plates. Red was a common specialty order for Penn. It is hard to say if red was the most common of all the special order colors, but it probably was.
                Even though there are many Red Penn reels, there are no Red 115's that I know of, except now that one seems to exist here. A red 115 would wake up the online auction world, I am sure.

broadway

Mike and Ray,
Your knowledge and collections amaze me, and have open our eyes to seeing what's out there.  I, for one, have passed up on a few oddly colored penn reels and a few reels with those cast control whoseys thinking they were phoneys.  Sals right about how nice it is for you guys to share with us instead of hoarding all the collectibles you can suck up.  I have never seen or heard of a penn white spool, a salesmanship color sample chain, or many of the other special parts/ accessories you've brought to our attention. 
Being that I'm typing this from my iPad ill have to wait till I get off work so I can post a picture of Big Red from my laptop and the broome stick she rides on that Sal so graciously gifted to me. Thanks Sal ;)
When I bid on the red 9/0 I was expecting a painted 9/0 (you know ebay) but instead was pleasantly surprised with the real deal.  Ted and I are a bit surprised they let a 9/0 leave the shop when with red plates because only the high speed reels were red.   Wouldn't that be a little contradictory?
Thanks for bringing these relics to our attention... You both have beautiful collections that you should be proud of.
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on December 20, 2014, 07:04:36 PM
Mike and Ray,
Your knowledge and collections amaze me, and have open our eyes to seeing what's out there.  I, for one, have passed up on a few oddly colored penn reels and a few reels with those cast control whoseys thinking they were phoneys.  Sals right about how nice it is for you guys to share with us instead of hoarding all the collectibles you can suck up.  I have never seen or heard of a penn white spool, a salesmanship color sample chain, or many of the other special parts/ accessories you've brought to our attention. 
Being that I'm typing this from my iPad ill have to wait till I get off work so I can post a picture of Big Red from my laptop and the broome stick she rides on that Sal so graciously gifted to me. Thanks Sal ;)
When I bid on the red 9/0 I was expecting a painted 9/0 (you know ebay) but instead was pleasantly surprised with the real deal.  Ted and I are a bit surprised they let a 9/0 leave the shop when with red plates because only the high speed reels were red.   Wouldn't that be a little contradictory?
Thanks for bringing these relics to our attention... You both have beautiful collections that you should be proud of.
Dom

Dom, your big red needs to be on a separate thread on the senator tutorials page and it should be "show off your senators"...this is a thread about smaller penn reels. Time to get serious and whip out the old senators. I believe Mike and Ray will once again raise the roof with a few examples of non-typical senators....and some of the oldies that most have never laid eyes on.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

We are all in the right place for sharing. Just like I showed that vintage penn 62 to you Michael. I hope your colleague got it, because I let it go. I have no business with a reel like that.
We are all friends here and we are glad You and Ray are here.
Dom's Big Red is a one of a kind, just like him.
I love seeing the rare gems that you have to show us. ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteDom, your big red needs to be on a separate thread on the senator tutorials page and it should be "show off your senators"...this is a thread about smaller penn reels. Time to get serious and whip out the old senators. I believe Mike and Ray will once again raise the roof with a few examples of non-typical senators....and some of the oldies that most have never laid eyes on.

Ted, a new thread about Senators sounds good to me.

Dom, a red 9/O would be a perfect place to start since the 115 is the first Penn Senator.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI love seeing the rare gems that you have to show us. Wink

It is nice to here you compare our antique reels to rare gems, unlike my wife who calls them Old Junk................. ???

Vintage Offshore Tackle

As requested, see the new post in this forum "Dom's red 9/0 Senator".

Superhook

#259 fitted with "Powerhouse " transmission. It is only a single speed of 7 to 1 ratio. Free spool & drag still work but unlike the "Reel Deal " trannsmission you cannot switch back to the original Penn factory ratio which would make it hard winding in a struggling fish.

broadway

Mike,
   You guys are so good about posting photos, and I'm so bad.  Dominick and a few others here have helped me to get the hang of posting them, but it still takes me a while.  I got home from a 12 hr. day and am hitting the hay after a beautiful meal that my fiance had prepared for my tired butt.  By Monday afternoon (my day off) I'll have them up... fair is fair.  You and Ray have some stellar, one off, super rare, and historical Penn reels that we appreciate you sharing with us.  Just a heads up... Ted and Sal have some unreal pieces that you'd probably be able to make a separate volume of your book (did I mention it's awesome) out of.  Thanks for the gem compliment, Daron... more like a rough diamond. ;)
Alan, created a team of guys/ gals that are all cut from the same chunk of rock... I'm just happy to be here
Thanks
Dom

Superhook

Mike was working on Penn history long before i began collecting . Mike let me in on a lot of information on early reels and what to search for and we got serious about the earliest Senators . The reels had to be found and proven correct before Mike could stick his neck out with photos and facts that verified or disproved the catalogs , still an ongoing hobby . Nobody can own every reel that they would like to but it is always fun searching . We will show what we've found and some that may only be a photo . It should help others to find and identify old Penns for those who wish to collect.  Mike's book covers everything for those first 25 years and we will post some more photos to make it easier and a bit of fun for all of us.

Thank you to Alan Tani for allowing us to be part of this membership.

What we will try to do is keep separate threads for each Model . ie one for Long Beaches another for Senators etc so it will be easier to find the photos and info of a particular Penn model.
It seems a bit weird to be so outspoken after so many years of collecting and learning about the Penn reels so if i get a bit much just let me know.

A photo of the people at Penn who made the early reels that we all collect.

George4741

Some very unusual and interesting reels here.  I especially like that narrow 60 yd Long Beach.

This is the only Long Beach I have.  Nothing special, but I also have the original box and papers.  

I also had a very old Long Beach without any number designation on it, but it was the size of a 65.  Ugliest reel I ever owned, and almost all of the chrome had been eaten away, but it had the longest freespool of any reel I've ever had.  I sold it on a whim.
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Dom,
I've been working 12 hour days for the past month. Somebody has to do it brother! ;)
I really like that picture of the penn factory. It looks like it was hot in there. I can relate! :P
Life is Good!