Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

The Penn Long Beach goes right back to day one of Penn products. It started as the Model K in 1932 and stayed in production right up to modern times. There are so many factory stock variables, that most people would not think of customizing one but I bet I am in the right place to see custom Long Beach models.
             Penn made the Long Beach in 8 basic models running from 100 to 600 yard stated line capacities depending on what time in Penn history we are talking about. So I am hoping to see some interesting variations here. I will start the thread with a factory experimental Long Beach that was actually never put into production and was also never given any Model Number. The line capacity of this reel was 60 yards and I believe it is a one off experimental model that was rejected as a possibility for production and then stored away in the Penn vault until it was discovered around 2003.

Here is the only 60 yard Long Beach that exists:
                               ( Now about a year and a half has passed since I placed this information about the 60 yard Long Beach here. I now own this reel and also now know it is not a Long Beach. This reel is one of three narrowed by Penn, Model 160's ).

Tightlines667

Wow!  That reel looks to be in mint condition, and is a factory one of a kind.  That is the defination of rare.  Historically significant as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

I like that reel, too bad they didn't make more.  My 60's are all well used rats.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Wow Michael, all I gotta say is I want one.

All my long beach reels are stock production models, so nothing worth showing on here, but I'm sure other members have a long beach or 2 to show.

Thanks for sharing Michael
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Aiala

It's an interesting and valuable curiosity, all right, but... 60 yards?? Seems to me, one halfway decent fish and you'd be spooled in about four seconds. Not surprising that Penn deep-sixed it.   :P
~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

Looks like Penn was ahead of their time with the narrow reels.  In spectra terms today, that reel could hold 200+ yards of 50# braid.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

The old line capacities of the Long Beach models were based on Linen Lines that are a bit different in today's capacities. The Model 60--250 yard and Model 65--300 yard reels were more than likely based on 9 thread linen line, which would be the thickness of about 30 pound test mono in today's world.

The reel I pictured in the first post is not mine. I really wish it was but we all know how that goes. It is in the hands of  Penn Historian who was kind enough to share its existence with me. The picture I posted of it is the only picture I have. It never left the factory until 2003, so it is mint or as so perfectly described by Ms. Aiala:

QuoteIt's an interesting and valuable curiosity, all right, but... 60 yards??

If Braid line exited in the 1930's when this reel was thought of, it may have gone into production.

So, I hope there are some other customs that show up on this post. Hint, if you take a Long Beach, Model 68 and exchange its parts with a Penn Senator 113 using a wide 4/O stand, you can build a couple of Frankenreels:

Superhook

Here are the earliest Long Beaches.  All original and all special (to me anyway)

L/R 1932 Model K , 1933 :- 250 yds Long Beach , 300yds LB and a 250yds LB Trade reel with Kingfisher name/logo made for E.K.Tryon

Overhead photo shows the wider 300yds model. All have drilled spools for tying fishing line to.

Model K on the right shows the smooth domed click button . The other 3 are waffle clickers.

'33 LB with Kingfisher logo.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere are the earliest Long Beaches.  All original and all special (to me anyway)

That group of four Long Beach reels are the bottom line of a Penn collection. Three first year 3 pillar models and Model K. It does not get any better than that. :o :o :o

Fantastic Collectibles!

Newell Nut

I have seen a lot of big AJs and cobias caught with the 60s and 65s on our party boat but a lot of us don't fish them because they just aren't sexy enough. Over the past year I bought a lot of mint ones for the boat and I kept a nice one for myself and I picked up this 66 that is like new and was surprised that it took 5 standard thickness CFs and the gears are steel. I added the 24-55 handle to it and it has a little more sex appeal than a 65. I am a little partial to my Newells so when family comes to town they will fish the 65, 66 and a 309. If Newells did not exist I would be happy to fish for grouper and snapper with a 66. The weight is good the spool size is good and this new handle just tops it off nicely.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have seen a lot of big AJs and cobias caught with the 60s and 65s on our party boat but a lot of us don't fish them because they just aren't sexy enough. Over the past year I bought a lot of mint ones for the boat and I kept a nice one for myself and I picked up this 66 that is like new and was surprised that it took 5 standard thickness CFs and the gears are steel. I added the 24-55 handle to it and it has a little more sex appeal than a 65. I am a little partial to my Newells so when family comes to town they will fish the 65, 66 and a 309. If Newells did not exist I would be happy to fish for grouper and snapper with a 66. The weight is good the spool size is good and this new handle just tops it off nicely.

OH well, I have to admit, sexy is not how I judge a fishing reel ;D but I understand. The Long Beach is a workhorse, work horses are not usually sexy. I think that 66 you have worked is pretty cool though. ::)

CooldadE

I bought my first conventional reel in 1976, it was a Penn 60. I preceded to load it up with cheap 40 lb. test mono. Short story , bad idea. As I learned how to cast the ill tempered beast I had to cut my way out many times. I got better at it and swapped out to premium 30 lb. line and all was well. Sadly I got rid of it long ago, but recently acquired one in excellent condition. I  don't know if ill ever spool it up and use it but I'm happy to have it. Maybe I'll spool it up with cheap 40 lb. mono and relive my youth.
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Early 2-speed Long Beach, So. Cal. style.