Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 22, 2015, 12:18:02 AM
More like Grand Old Beauty! ;D Good Job Aiala! It looks great! ;)

Thanks, Mr. Shark! Coming from you, that's an immense compliment.  :)

Michael, what a great story! (Did you ever find out what was the winning fish?) That tournament must have been a lot of fun. Maybe we'll have a modest version of it this summer with the "Vintage Challenge" aboard SOA... I'm definitely bringing my Long Beach (but filled with mono instead of Cuttyhunk. ;))

As for entering your world, I'm in no way on a level with you or the other grand reelmeisters here, but I definitely do share the joy and satisfaction of restoring old neglected reels to fighting trim. It probably has something to do with my age <sigh> but I just love the classic gear... using it takes me back to my long-vanished youth, when the fishing was great and the future seemed limitless. Sic transit gloria mundi!  :-\

Still, further angling adventures beckon... it's never too late... and I can't wait!  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteMichael, what a great story! (Did you ever find out what was the winning fish?) That tournament must have been a lot of fun. Maybe we'll have a modest version of it this summer with the "Vintage Challenge" aboard SOA... I'm definitely bringing my Long Beach (but filled with mono instead of Cuttyhunk. Wink)

As for entering your world, I'm in no way on a level with you or the other grand reelmeisters here, but I definitely do share the joy and satisfaction of restoring old neglected reels to fighting trim. It probably has something to do with my age <sigh> but I just love the classic gear... using it takes me back to my long-vanished youth, when the fishing was great and the future seemed limitless. Sic transit gloria mundi!  Undecided

Still, further angling adventures beckon... it's never too late... and I can't wait!  Cheesy

Nope, I never heard from that group again, but I had no complaints, sometimes that is how I judge whether my deals went well or not. It relates to that old cliche, "No News is Good News" ::)

Of course you are on the same level with everyone here. We can always spin a personal description of our place to make ourselves feel lower or higher than our true level but in actually we are all equal. I feel like the new person here, so that makes me somewhat insecure but I keep telling myself that I am in a good place with good people, that are interested in what I have to add here, so that makes me feel on a more equal plain with the group. But the truth of what I see is you have Seniority in this group and I do not, so, like the old time Union guy that I am, I bow to the Seniority.
          And since you brought up age, I would never do that first with a lady, I deeply understand the wisdom that age brings to an individual. I remember our sport when the rules were much more loose and the ability to actually live off the catch was a possibility. I will be celebrating the 37th Anniversary of my 30th Birthday this year and I believe your youthful enthusiasm surpasses mine.

Jerseymic

Picked this 67 up recently, bit of a mess, I just liked the tail plate and the cast control.

Have not stripped it yet, but I can't see any part numbers on the stand, star or handle.

It has the word grease and the knob has a sort of olive tinge.

Are all the parts correct, or have some been swapped.

I am sure someone can tell me the approximate age.

Thank you in advance,

Mike.

Penn Chronology

QuotePicked this 67 up recently, bit of a mess, I just liked the tail plate and the cast control.

Have not stripped it yet, but I can't see any part numbers on the stand, star or handle.

Mid 1940's, more than likely post-war. Without any part numbers showing it probably dates 1946 or 47. I say post-war because of the counterweight on the handle but I could be a few years off. These reels were made basically the same in the year before and after the war. They started to change in the late 1940's with the addition of numbered parts and then with a side plate style change. I like the Early Long Beach large reels with the external drags. I feel they were the best ever made for that size. Side plates felt a little heavier and the external drags are much easier for a quick fix or disc change.

The cast control is an aftermarket non-Penn add on. Here is the paperwork for the A-Square Fluid Hub you have on your reel:

Jerseymic

Mike,

Thank you for the information.

This is to put in my collection, do I leave it as is, give it a clean as best I can, or replace the chrome with what is available.

Best wishes,

Mike.

P.S.

Your book is on its way, can't wait to get hold of it!

Latest update : Processed through our ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) facility on January 25.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis is to put in my collection, do I leave it as is, give it a clean as best I can, or replace the chrome with what is available.

I would clean it inside and out. Polish with your favorite chrome polish. I do not like to replace original parts unless I have parts from that era. New parts have part numbers stamped on them and, even if they fit correctly are historically incorrect.
              That is my humble opinion.

Bryan Young

Wow, very interesting...aftermarket cast control adjustment knob
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jerseymic

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 26, 2015, 05:14:22 PM
QuoteThis is to put in my collection, do I leave it as is, give it a clean as best I can, or replace the chrome with what is available.

I would clean it inside and out. Polish with your favorite chrome polish. I do not like to replace original parts unless I have parts from that era. New parts have part numbers stamped on them and, even if they fit correctly are historically incorrect.
              That is my humble opinion.

Thanks Mike, I will do as you say.

Mike.

Jerseymic

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 26, 2015, 08:36:21 PM
Wow, very interesting...aftermarket cast control adjustment knob

Yes Bryan, couldn't believe it, after Mike posting a picture of a Long Beach earlier in this thread with a cast control, I find one in the U.K.!!

Mike.

Aiala

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 26, 2015, 05:14:22 PM
I would clean it inside and out. Polish with your favorite chrome polish. I do not like to replace original parts unless I have parts from that era. New parts have part numbers stamped on them and, even if they fit correctly are historically incorrect. That is my humble opinion.

Exactly so; and speaking of which, I have, free for the price of shipping, this (unstamped) original spool from a very old (40s? 50s?) Long Beach 68:

If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

coastal_dan

What an amazing thread, I'm in awe of the wealth of knowledge here!  What a blast to read.  Thanks!!!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

DesertCatRat

Am new here,terrible with these tech computers, but I can fish,so this is my long beach pat pending ,no parts #on any thing ,everything seems right less the handle and nut,it may be a pflueger handle missing hex nut,believe spool is 1 5/8, got at garage sale in Palm springs of all places,works well,but has been used,I did not go crazy restoring it,just opened n lubed
Brian

DesertCatRat

One more,oops
Brian

Penn Chronology

Desert Cat Rat,

Interesting reel. I especially like the vintage sticker on the tail plate.

You said the spool width is 1 5/8, which would make it a 150 yard, small side plate diameter Long Beach. I have never seen that size with a Patent Pending plate. Could you measure the side plate diameter? If it is 3 1/4 inch then the spool should be a 1 7/8 inch.

The Pflueger handle adds a bit of confusion to the old Penn ;D

Thanks

Mike C.

CapeFish

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 26, 2015, 05:32:55 AM
QuotePicked this 67 up recently, bit of a mess, I just liked the tail plate and the cast control.

Mid 1940's, more than likely post-war. Without any part numbers showing it probably dates 1946 or 47. I say post-war because of the counterweight on the handle but I could be a few years off. These reels were made basically the same in the year before and after the war. They started to change in the late 1940's with the addition of numbered parts and then with a side plate style change. I like the Early Long Beach large reels with the external drags. I feel they were the best ever made for that size. Side plates felt a little heavier and the external drags are much easier for a quick fix or disc change.

The cast control is an aftermarket non-Penn add on. Here is the paperwork for the A-Square Fluid Hub you have on your reel:

Years ago I bought a batch of tackle from a retired gentleman and there was one of these cast controls that came with an old jigmaster.