Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

sure cleaned up nicely, steal at 5 bucks. good looking out by your sister
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

Classic style from the 1940's. In the future these will surly fade out of the market. Good to save one like this.

Tbrom

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 14, 2018, 05:58:09 AM
Classic style from the 1940's. In the future these will surly fade out of the market. Good to save one like this.
thank you

basto

In my eyes, that reel is beautiful. I am a sucker for picture tail plates and have bought some of my Penns for the tail plate alone. This one reminds me of a 160 I found recently.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

1badf350

Quote from: DesertCatRat on January 28, 2015, 12:53:52 AM
Am new here,terrible with these tech computers, but I can fish,so this is my long beach pat pending ,no parts #on any thing ,everything seems right less the handle and nut,it may be a pflueger handle missing hex nut,believe spool is 1 5/8, got at garage sale in Palm springs of all places,works well,but has been used,I did not go crazy restoring it,just opened n lubed
I find this one very interesting. (Pic posted below courtesy of DesertCatRat from page 9) I have two reels with Duvalls stickers. A 12/0 and a Live bait caster. I asked about this store over on Bloddydecks and this is the one response I got from member Deep Water Sail:

QuoteI was 10 years old in 1946 and Duvalls was a few blocks from my home
on Vermont Ave and 45th street on the corner a few blocks below the
Los Angeles Colisium. They sold fishing tackle and repaired outboard
engines. The owner was Mr Duvall and his son-in-law. I would hang out
after school in the store because I loved to fish and listen to the salty
stories. A few years later both of us moved away, the neighborhood
was starting to run down.This area was known as the killing fields, South
Central Los Angeles. I always wondered what happened to Mr Duvall
because he was very kind to me. Great memories.
-Deep Water Sailor
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

This is my live bait caster with Duval's sticker
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

mo65

Something I noticed about Tbrom's LB 60...the tailplate appears to be dark brown...not black. Until now I've only seen those plates in black or occasionally mottled(brown with black speckles). Like Chris, I like those dealer stickers too, just cool nostalgia. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tbrom

Quote from: mo65 on September 06, 2018, 10:58:51 PM
   Something I noticed about Tbrom's LB 60...the tailplate appears to be dark brown...not black. Until now I've only seen those plates in black or occasionally mottled(brown with black speckles)8)

Mo it is dark brown. The other side plate is black. I have the reel in my hands and didn't pick up on the color difference and probably never would have and you noticed it in a pic! Good eye.

Tim

Penn Chronology

This is my live bait caster with Duval's sticker

Duvall's was around for many years. I do not know much about it but I do know it goes way back. Here is a card from that shop. Their early Penn Trade Reels should have a red knob.

basto

The 259 is one of my favourite Penns.  When I received mine , it was as smooth as butter but had some surface corrosion on the rings and stand, so I got some new parts for it and it rejected them. Did not want to operate smoothly at all. I put the original parts back and it was happy again.
This has happened to me with 155 also. I just leave them alone now unless its a gear sleeve or dog ......."if it aint broke, don't fix it"
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

I just leave them alone now unless its a gear sleeve or dog ......."if it aint broke, don't fix it"

That is perfect. Sometimes we feel that a modern upgrade will fit and sometimes it does; but, more often than not, a reel made in the 1930's, even though the Model Name is the same, has enough minor differences to make the difference major.

mo65

I picked up this Long Beach 65LS for 30 bucks and was stoked...ya don't see many light spooled 65s listed. Plastic spooled 60s are plentiful, but the 65s show up a lot less.  Then about an hour later I was surfing fleabay for more LB parts and I see another 65LS for $14.50 shipped! Talk about a bubble buster...sheesh! Oh well...mine was in a bit better condition. The plates are sharp and shiny, all parts are correct, and it even has the "accessory" clamping stand. 8)

thorhammer

That's a nice find! Has Ted pm'd you an offer yet, LOL.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on February 02, 2019, 03:54:13 PM
That's a nice find! Has Ted pm'd you an offer yet, LOL.

Hee hee...I don't think he will...he has a boxed 65LS that makes mine look like kid stuff! :D

1badf350

-Chris