Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's a Long Beach I've been wanting for ages. They don't come along every day, don't last long, and I usually miss them. I got this LB 62(150yd. version) as a birthday gift...sweet!! It's got a lot of character, but mint examples of this one are scarce. It's all complete and correct though, and it has the only picture tail plate I didn't have an example of. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

Nice one, Mo !  And, Happy Birthday !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

milne

Happy birthday Mo,
                   That's a ripper of a reel !  great pressy.

Col

Ron Jones

So is it between a 60 and 65 in width? Nice find, I'm glad you're happy with it.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 27, 2019, 11:05:11 PM
So is it between a 60 and 65 in width? Nice find, I'm glad you're happy with it.
Ron Jones

Hi Ron,
   It's actually more narrow than a LB 60. It appears to be the same width as a 501 Jiggy...and the plates are the same size as the Jiggy too! It's smaller all around than the LB 60/65 family. The handle is smaller too, sort of like an early Beachmaster 160 handle.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. See this thread for photos and info on the "little" Long Beach reels...the LB 61, 62, and 63. 8)
    https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17597.0

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Very nice!
Happy birthday, young man!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

broadway

First off, Happy Birthday Mo!
Second, it pays to have nice friends who collect Penn reels. ;)
Lastly, I love the LB's smaller than the 60, and they are much harder to come by. Yours has the more difficult to find tail plate which adds in the cool factor.
Nice one to add to the collection.  Enjoy her Mo.
Best,
Dom

Ron Jones

So, this is the first 501! I am slowly but surely trying to put the creation of Penn reels in my mind. It works sort of like Magnum rifles. I am reasonably certain that the 404 Jeffrey and the 375 H&H originally had the same rim diameter. The 404 is a Nitro round made for a bolt gun and H&H came up with a rim as a sales gimmick; or at least that's the way I've put it together. There is always a pattern of why, and I am enjoying figuring out Penn's.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

I believe the H & H is a belted cartrige for a bolt action rifle and the Jeffery cartriges were designed with a rim for double rifles for dangerous game.       Rudy

Alto Mare

Nice little reel Mo, enjoy it! ...Happy Birthday...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Quote from: RowdyW on May 28, 2019, 04:51:33 AM
I believe the H & H is a belted cartrige for a bolt action rifle and the Jeffery cartriges were designed with a rim for double rifles for dangerous game.       Rudy

There are rimmed Jeffery cases, but the 404 and others based on it are a rebated rim case. Today, the cases use different shell holders, but if you look at original drawings, that probably wasn't the case. Similar to the first model 70 375s, they couldn't load a lot of European ammunition because they were chambered with reamers using outdated drawings. That is one advantage of CAD and shared files, it is way harder to not use the correct specifications. Of course when you don't, you feel like an even bigger idiot.

Back to the old LongBeaches, was there a 99 sized LongBeach that used standard gearing?
Ronald Jones
"

OlDirtyJohn

Hello everyone,

There is an overwhelming amount of GREAT info here!! My head is spinning.

I recently found  six (6) of my grandpa's old Penns. Five of them are Long Beaches, two 60's, a 65, 66, and 67. The sixth reel is a Peer 109.

They all seem to be a decent condition, at least they are mechanically sound. I would love to clean them up, grease and oil, put some new drags and fish them.

OlDirtyJohn

Here are some pics of the 67