320gti/320gt2/321gti

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I've never held a triton.  Not sure what the parts situation is either, I would expect it's pretty bleak.  The 320 drivetrain is basically a 4/0 the only limitation is the graphite frame.  Parts readily available from Mysticparts.com.  I would take the 320 over the triton.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

I cannot understand the penchant for removing level winds.  I for one love level winds and when loaded correctly they function very well.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Barishi

Quote from: Bill B on September 13, 2022, 06:06:13 PMI've never held a triton.  Not sure what the parts situation is either, I would expect it's pretty bleak.  The 320 drivetrain is basically a 4/0 the only limitation is the graphite frame.  Parts readily available from Mysticparts.com.  I would take the 320 over the triton.  Bill

Thank you guys for replying. How corrosion resistant is the GTI? Considering that the one in this service thread comes in with some green on the brass. A bit of my concern is with longevity, since where I live Penn doesn't provide parts in stock.

Bill B

If you follow a good maintenance program, fresh water rinse after every salt water trip, yearly breakdown and reassemble with fresh grease and oil, it will give you years of fishing.  If possible stock up on a couple complete levelwind assemblies (pawl, worm gear, idler gear), and bearings, which can be ordered from mysticparts.com.  If you have a bearing supplier that is local they can be purchased there.  They don't have to be specialized fishing reel bearings, just the same size.  Bill

Barishi

Quote from: Bill B on September 14, 2022, 05:42:31 PMIf you follow a good maintenance program, fresh water rinse after every salt water trip, yearly breakdown and reassemble with fresh grease and oil, it will give you years of fishing.  If possible stock up on a couple complete levelwind assemblies (pawl, worm gear, idler gear), and bearings, which can be ordered from mysticparts.com.  If you have a bearing supplier that is local they can be purchased there.  They don't have to be specialized fishing reel bearings, just the same size.  Bill

Thanks. Have you used a GTI?

Bill B

Yes, I have 2 of the 320's and 1 of the 310's.  The 320's get used for deep sea fishing dropping 10-12 ounces of lead 300' with a dropper loop.  I picked up both used, replaced the levelwind pawls and worm gears just as insurance, with spares if needed.  They get a yearly service and fresh water rinse after each use.  Highly recommend the 320's.

Barishi

Quote from: Bill B on September 15, 2022, 06:35:21 PMYes, I have 2 of the 320's and 1 of the 310's.  The 320's get used for deep sea fishing dropping 10-12 ounces of lead 300' with a dropper loop.  I picked up both used, replaced the levelwind pawls and worm gears just as insurance, with spares if needed.  They get a yearly service and fresh water rinse after each use.  Highly recommend the 320's.

How do these compare to newer reels? Besides the weight, of course. What size fish would you recommend these for? Thanks for taking time to answer.

Bill B

I am hesitant to say how big of a fish.  Let look at the drag.  The gears and drag washers are near clones of the gears in a 4/0 Penn Senator 113H.  The 113H delivers an easy 20# of drag.  20# of drag is a chore to hold on to during a long fight, but completely doable.  The limiting factor of the the 320 is the graphite frame.  Alan believes the 320 is good for 15# of drag all day long and I agree. 

So we can reverse engineer our look at the 320.  Using the 1/3 rule for drag setting, 15# of drag would be 1/3 of 45# fishing line, so we will round up to 50# fishing line.  50# line will catch a lot of fish, I would be comfortable chasing yellowtail, small tuna, halibut with 50#.  I'm not familiar with the fish in your area, but consider the 320 for any fish you would use 50# line.  As a side note I will be taking a 320 on the upcoming 8 day on the SOA.

Another factor to look at is the fishing pole.  When pulling 15# of drag the rod tip should be at a 45* angle to rod butt.  Any more angle you risk breaking the rod, any less you lose sensitivity of the rod. 

I know parts are a problem for you, I do believe mysticparts.com can ship international (but I could be wrong) so stock up on the levelwind parts to keep the reel running.  In a pinch the levelwind can be removed from the reel and you still have a solid 4/0 class reel.

Bill

thorhammer

Mystic stopped shipping internationally. The 320 is quite a bit larger than the 200. I have used and still do 310, 320, 330, 345 extensively. Great reels within their specified operating ranges. Any green on one is due to someone totally ignoring a freshwater rinse at minimum. As much as I take things apart and service them, I'll say I don't recall ever taking a gti down for service, let alone an issue- freshwater rinse and they operate today like they did when I bought them in the 90's and 2000's.Hundreds of hours on them variously trolling, livebaiting, and bottom fishing and the only thing I've ever replaced is a shift lever that came unscrewed. Compared to modern reels? I have Squalls and Warfares as well, and some may argue but functionally comparable. As stated, 320 as well as 330 can accept the 4/O size power handles if desired due to same sleeve size. I should prolly grease the drags one day...

John

Brewcrafter

Barishi - I will second everything above.  If you are going to pre-service/maintain then either reel should do a passable job.  I have a 320LC and it is my "go-to" lead core trolling reel for fresh water.  Solid internals and easy to maintain.  If I were using it for salt I would be doing as Bill advises with standard "post trip rinse" and "annual" service.  Again, I know you are in a different country and that will most definitely changes things, but I would say on an "apples:apples" if you purchase and treat the two reels the same, that you will not be disappointed in either case, but I would go with the Penn with no hesitation. - john

Barishi

Thank you all for the replies. I'm planning to use mine for casting, so I think I'll do what Alan did to the 321 at the start of this thread.

BradH

Quote from: Barishi on September 13, 2022, 04:19:28 PMHow will the 320GTI compare to the Triton TR200s?

I own and fish both.  The TRs are smaller and more compact, and have a very small handle and short handle arm.  I've swapped them out with Tekota handles and maybe from an older Speedmaster for a better feel.  The gear sleeve seems small but if it's the same as the Tekota it should be fine.  The 320s feel more powerful and I tend to reach for them more.  Also have a better stock handle.  Both are fairly easy to service.  Maybe look at a 310 if you want an in between size.  Also good reels.