PENN PICTURE TAIL PLATES

Started by Penn Chronology, December 19, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteI wonder if this one will become a collector piece because the artist put the A in SENATOR back to front.
The upstroke is always the thin one.

I wish I could tell you that is rare but it is not. I have a first gen 10/O and a first gen 12/O and they are both the same as yours. I believe that is the normal way all the early molds were.

basto

These are correct.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoy your posts and am very grateful for them.
best regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

George4741

The tailplate on a Seagate:  

Mike, since the Seagate is essentially a Long Beach 60, do some of those reels also have this tailplate?
George

viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe tailplate on a Seagate: 

Mike, since the Seagate is essentially a Long Beach 60, do some of those reels also have this tailplate?
George

The Sea Gate is one of those reels that can have a few different tail plates. It is a transitional reel in terms of having differences that do not affect performance. You will find some with waffle type clicker button, some with hexagon shaped buttons and some with the standard Hershey kiss button. The same goes for the pictures or type of design on the tail plate. What Penn had on the parts shelf that fit, could wind up on a Sea Gate. It was a reel that was initially offered to satisfy commercial accounts who's criteria was full featured functionality at the lowest price possible. Sea Gates are pretty much a mix and match hybrid of the Long Beach. I find them an interesting reel because of the many differences that are wearing the same logo in such a short model life span.

Dominick

Mike, All,  I like the subject although I am having a hard time getting the details on the reels clear.  So here is my contribution.  This is like the Sunday cartoons "Find the Differences in the Pictures."  They look the same but there are subtle differences.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, All,  I like the subject although I am having a hard time getting the details on the reels clear.  So here is my contribution.  This is like the Sunday cartoons "Find the Differences in the Pictures."  They look the same but there are subtle differences.  Dominick

Yes, there are differences from plate to plate. Not all the mold cavities were the same, even on the same model. You will find things on many reels that will make you think your eyes are out of focus, happen to me all the time. Your photo could show even bigger differences because you are comparing the pictures  from two different models. Back in the 1930's and 1940's, these mold cavities were probably hand engraved, I say probably because I cannot document that yet. So subtle differences is the norm rather than the oddity.

Superhook

Ted wanted to share this unusual brown and black speckled tail plate as well as the usual black graphics seen on a 1940's Long Beach. NB the graphics is not on the speckled plate.

Penn Chronology

It is interesting to study the original lettering and molded in designs. It is an example of hand work. If these parts molds would have been CNC created, every one would be exactly the same.

Maxed Out

Well I was waiting for someone else to notice the defect in the brown plate, but to no avail. Not sure if it was a test mold or what, but the lettering on the standard black plate is much bolder than the lettering on the brown plate..........and another reason this thin lettered design likely never went into production was they Mis-spelled "Phila" :o. Last time I checked Phiia isn't even a word.  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 10, 2015, 03:11:45 AM
Well I was waiting for someone else to notice the defect in the brown plate, but to no avail. Not sure if it was a test mold or what, but the lettering on the standard black plate is much bolder than the lettering on the brown plate..........and another reason this thin lettered plate never went into production was they Mis-spelled "Phila" :o. Last time I checked Phiia isn't even a word.  ;D

OOOOO....

WELL...

WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT

I see it now :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Unbelievable! I would have never caught that.
Don't drop that reel, it might be worth quite a bit.
Amazing...
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWell I was waiting for someone else to notice the defect in the brown plate, but to no avail. Not sure if it was a test mold or what, but the lettering on the standard black plate is much bolder than the lettering on the brown plate..........and another reason this thin lettered design likely never went into production was they Mis-spelled "Phila" Shocked. Last time I checked Phiia isn't even a word.  Grin

Oh No! Not again! This is another one of the those End of Day reels. Ted, please stop finding all these Abbey Normal reels ??? ??? ??? ???

day0ne

I have a question about some 113H left plates. I have one with fish, waves and a fishing boat. I have several with a fish and waves, no boat, and a bunch with just the fish, no waves, no boat. Does anyone know the approx. age and/or the rarity of the different plates? Thanks
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have a question about some 113H left plates. I have one with fish, waves and a fishing boat. I have several with a fish and waves, no boat, and a bunch with just the fish, bo waves, no boat. Does anyone know the approx. age and/or the rarity of the different plates? Thanks

I believe the ones with the fish and boat scene are the earliest 113's. Then the design changed to a fish with water, probably around the 1960's and around the 1980's it became just a fish. My dating is approximate. As far as value, the type of tail plate picture is only part of what makes up value and a very small part. The very early pre-WW II 113's can reach values up to $400 to $500 depending on the condition of the reel and the box it is in. Most 113's, used and out of the box but in clean and normally operating condition will bring about $50 to $75, no matter what design is on the tail plate. IMHO

Shark Hunter

I have a 113H and a 114H with the Boat. These are the only ones I have with that scene.
Life is Good!