PENN PICTURE TAIL PLATES

Started by Penn Chronology, December 19, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I just try to find them in good condition John. I know its not that rare, but for 25 bucks in good condition, I am willing to spend. I was just happy how this one looks. The parts look un numbered.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Daron,

The reel is a Baymaster and the box is a 1958 Delmar box with catalog, which is a fun collectible. First thing to do is separate the reel from the box, now you have two collectibles instead of one. Then you need to find a special Delmar. Either one with nutty colors or a heavily mottled one to go with that great box. $25 was a steal for those two collectibles and adding the catalog to the box and reel makes your steal a felony rather than a misdemeanor ;D

Shark Hunter

I'm pretty happy with these two Mike.
A Seagate and a Bayhead 300 yard version.
The Seagate has the same scene as my 1942 Long Beach, but the Bayhead is really nice.
I will go ahead and say it. I don't have your book yet. Shame on me. I figured it would make me look for reels I don't need. Its really working out. :D
I think I will ask for it as a Christmas present.
I'm really happy with these two. I need to make a display case for these old reels. It amazes me that they are this old and still in great shape.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Cool reels Daron.  I like that tailplate picture w/the tall ship.  Same as on the first year Anglesea.  I love that green handle knob with the large counterweight.  Looks to me like you are going to need to build a pretty large case if you aim to display your collection.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

Very nice reels. I find the 300 yard models are harder to find, especially, 300 yard Sea Gates. That tall ships tail plate can fit many reels.

I looked at my Anglesea and it is the same as John's. I do not believe there is a set rule about which tail plate goes with what reel unless size or build style becomes the deciding factor.  They can be crossed easily. A Bay Head, Anglesea, Bridge City, Sea Hawk or Sea Ford can all interchange tail plates with each other sometimes.

Daron, if you get addicted to buying old Penn reels that you do not need, your life will change forever. You will start becoming illogical, buying more fishing tackle than you can possibly use and building cabinets to display all these old, useless pieces of hardware.

So, what are you waiting for? ;D

BTW, if you want a copy of my book, email me at < mcass1@optonline.net >

Shark Hunter

This old Bayhead went bidless for a couple weeks. I offered the seller $35. Its the 250 yard version.
The spool looks a little crusty, but I think it will clean up.
I started removing the old linen line and decided to put it back on. This reel looks pretty good for its age.
The wood knob is in good shape too. Should I leave it like it is Mike? Is the spool German silver?
Life is Good!

Superhook

Daron,

The spool should be chrome over brass .

Regards the anti reverse , it could be choked with old dry grease and/or the dog spring is missing .  Same parts as the 250yd LB if you need them.( Buy a cheap clunker for the internals...if you want.)

The handle is original. I like the graphics. Good score.

Ray

Shark Hunter

Thanks Ray,
I have a few parts laying around. I bought the 1942 Long Beach from this same seller. He asked me why this reel wouldn't sell. I had offered him $50 for it before.
Its amazing what you can troll up. I just didn't know if a reel this old still had the chromed brass spool.
I know just what to do to bring it back, and then put that old line back on it.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Daron,

The Bayhead is not as desirable as some other vintage Penn reels in its standard colors. I think it is because it is fairly easy to find and collectors always like hard to find better. The interesting thing about Bayhead reels is they were a platform for strange colors. Because they were a low priced full featured reel, the rental houses and the party boat owners liked to use them as rentals. They came in a strange white box:
and sometimes the reel could get very different:

There was no telling how the reel may pop up, odd colored versions are rare; but, not impossible:

I always liked the Bayhead, it may be easier to find than a Bay Side; but, it is still a great early reel.

I think cleaning it to its best appearance and putting the white linen line back on the reel is a perfect display piece. Every early Penn display should have a Bay Head reel in it.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

broadway

Aiala,
  With all due respect, I understand that the reel has been listed for a while, but can you please wait for the auctions to end before steering people to the link?
It would be appreciated by we collectors who may or may not be interested in it.
Mike, that Bayhead has me drooling!
Daron, for a "non-collector" of these vintage reels you're doing pretty well. ;)
Thank you,
Dom

Aiala

Quote from: broadway on August 18, 2015, 07:28:20 PM
Aiala,
  With all due respect, I understand that the reel has been listed for a while, but can you please wait for the auctions to end before steering people to the link?
It would be appreciated by we collectors who may or may not be interested in it.
Mike, that Bayhead has me drooling!
Daron, for a "non-collector" of these vintage reels you're doing pretty well. ;)
Thank you,
Dom

My apologies, Dom. Didn't occur to me that y'all already knew about it. Won't do that again.  :-[

~A~

Tightlines667

Quote from: broadway on August 18, 2015, 07:28:20 PM

;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Aiala

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 19, 2014, 07:07:40 AM
OOPS,, I added the 1939 Sea Hawk picture twice. I should have put the Silver Beach Model 97 picture the second time.

Here it is......

I think this is the same tail plate picture, except mine is on a vintage Penn 99... is that normal?

Trying to decide whether I should hang on to it or not...  ???

~A~

thorhammer

If you let it walk, you not be "accumulating"  ;)