PENN PICTURE TAIL PLATES

Started by Penn Chronology, December 19, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 25, 2016, 02:29:04 AM
I watched every episode of the original Star Trek, my only problem is since the stroke I have CRS.  ;D  Joe

Live long and prosper, Joe! 

Umm... what's "CRS"?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

RowdyW

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm going on the hunt for a 113 4/0 (black plates) for my collection.  Does anyone have pictures of the earliest version of the side plates?  Also, was there a version that had the feature of changing the drags from the outside like the 113H?
Thanks
Jeff

Time to go back to Earth.

Hello Jeff,

Just recently got these pics of a 114H in basic black with the external drag replacement feature and the basic tail plate.

RowdyW

Hi Mike, I've seen about four black 114-H reels including mine and they all had the the external access drags.They were made for such a short time that I don't think that they were made with the enclosed drags.    Rudy

broadway

You're right Rudy. They also made the maroon 114h with external access but I believe that was scrubbed after the anniversary reels or there abouts, probably similar time that the 113h changed over.
I have 6 black 114h's but the only left handed (factory) I've ever seen or heard of.
Anyone else have a factory 114h lefty. I'm sure there are more so keep your eyes peeled.😳
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

I have a few of the 114H with external access. The boat on the non handle side as well.
This one has a unique looking handle. Amber green.
Life is Good!

broadway

That is a unique handle...Looks like a Halloween gourd.
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on January 26, 2016, 01:51:41 AM
That is a unique handle...Looks like a Halloween gourd.
Dom

Yes, I like those handles too Dom.  I bet Daron has a drawer full of them just waiting for the next build. ;) ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have 6 black 114h's but the only left handed (factory) I've ever seen or heard of.

Hello Dom,

These reels have no history. They are very hard to find (as far as I know). I finally found one at a show last weekend.

You have six of them, that is great! How did you wind up with so many and do you know anything about their history? According to the books and Trade show info, they should not exist with the Black Side plates.

***[ Check out the Black 114H thread in the History and Antiques Section ]

sdlehr

I spent some time this afternoon taking pictures of all my Penns with picture tail plates. I think I have a few that aren't yet displayed here. They're all on Senators.

This first is a dark maroon 113h

It also comes in the standard red 113h

This is a 113 - a lot like Basto's reel in post #15 of this thread, except his is a marlin, this is a sailfish :)

This is on a 114

Another 113 - this may be the same as two pictures back, I'd have to pull out the reels again to be sure.

And another 114

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

I think I found I really rare one. I have never seen this engraving on a 250 yard reel. This is usually on the small 1942 Sea Hawk (150 yard) with the undercut rims: but, here is it on a 1937 250 yard Sea Hawk. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to buy it.

Bill B

Interesting find Mike.....is the green color the bakelite of paint?   Never seen that color green before.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

I think it's the lighting Bill.
-steve

broadway

Is that the one (3 pillared '37) that went for around $60 on a bin on eBay?
I had the opportunity but couldn't add another Seahawk to the collection.  I didn't notice the tailplate being only on the 150 yd'er or things may have been different... that's why you're he authority on Penn reels. Nice eye!
Steve is correct, it's just the light. I thought the same at first.  Check the advanced feature on eBay for more photos.
Thanks for pointing that out, mike!
Dom