PENN PICTURE TAIL PLATES

Started by Penn Chronology, December 19, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC49

Wow thanks Mike.
Would it make sense that this was maybe done on some of the older reels in the 50's ??
It would be interesting to me if you possibly new when this was done and if Penn did it themselves as I certainly didn't  ;)

Regards
Alan

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt would be interesting to me if you possibly new when this was done and if Penn did it themselves as I certainly didn't  Wink

It is an old machinist trick. I have seen on early Pflueger big game reels like the Atlapac. I always am surprised when I see on a Penn reel. Don't really know if they did it by hand or if it was molded in. I will ask. The people at Penn today sometimes surprise with their knowledge of old techniques. Can't hurt to ask.

Ron Jones

Jeweling can be done with several different tools. They even make tools specifically for the task. Pencils are traditional, but you go through a bunch of them.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 18, 2018, 07:20:01 AM
Jeweling can be done with several different tools. They even make tools specifically for the task. Pencils are traditional, but you go through a bunch of them.
The Man

I wouldn't even bother using pencils...

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 18, 2018, 12:12:16 PM
For jeweling I use these in a Dremel:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abrasive-Rubber-Polishing-Burr-Point-Grinding-Head-For-Metal-Dremel-Rotary-Tools/401612872952?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55149%26meid%3Da3af28c9aa844a3fbb790078a83e8936%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D401612872952&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Chris, thanks for showing, those should work out nicely.
Were you the first bringing the jeweling to us?...thanks for the tip might give those a try!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

I'm not sure I was the first Sal. But I think I posted something about it some while back :-\ I'm sure I used to have a memory :D

AC49

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 18, 2018, 06:34:04 AM
QuoteIt would be interesting to me if you possibly new when this was done and if Penn did it themselves as I certainly didn't  Wink

It is an old machinist trick. I have seen on early Pflueger big game reels like the Atlapac. I always am surprised when I see on a Penn reel. Don't really know if they did it by hand or if it was molded in. I will ask. The people at Penn today sometimes surprise with their knowledge of old techniques. Can't hurt to ask.

Thanks Mike.
I have seen them mostly on the old 49A Penn reels from the 1950's.
I appreciate your feedback and hopefully some more from the Penn folks.

Regards
AC49

AC49

Here is the sideplate of a Penn Senator 12/0 that recently had a clean up. Jeweling also visible.
Any news from the folks at Penn Mike ?

Regards
AC49

Penn Chronology

QuoteAny news from the folks at Penn Mike ?

Penn is in the QT mode. My world is breaking down. Do not know who will ultimately be at Penn and my publisher is basically underground. So at this time I have no answers. Maybe next year the dust will settle and we will have new people in the mix.

basto

I have a 3/0 tailplate with that pattern

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

broadway

I've got many reels with this "jeweling".  I just always though it came out of the mold a little rough so they used a polishing tool of some kind that created those swirls.
I does look cool when you crack one open and see it's holographic inside wall.  I don't believe I've ever seen it on a head plate but then again, I may have but can't remember one at the moment.
This would negate what I said about the rough texture after the mold so it needing polishing because I would think the head plate would need more smoothing with all the nooks and crannies. ???
Just another mystery to a Penn reel,
Dom

AC49

Quote from: broadway on December 13, 2018, 03:52:56 AM
I've got many reels with this "jeweling".  I just always though it came out of the mold a little rough so they used a polishing tool of some kind that created those swirls.
I does look cool when you crack one open and see it's holographic inside wall.  I don't believe I've ever seen it on a head plate but then again, I may have but can't remember one at the moment.
This would negate what I said about the rough texture after the mold so it needing polishing because I would think the head plate would need more smoothing with all the nooks and crannies. ???
Just another mystery to a Penn reel,
Dom

Dom you can see my pictures on the previous page showing the Penn 49A headplate with jeweling. As Mike said it holds the oil / grease better than a flat surface.

Thanks Mike we hope you have better luck with the Penn people soon  ;D

Regards
AC49

broadway

Interesting... surprised they would put all that work in to hold geese (...or grease, lol) or oil. Guess that's why they stopped it.
Thanks AC,
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on December 14, 2018, 07:03:14 PM
Interesting... surprised they would put all that work in to hold geese or oil. Guess that's why they stopped it.
Thanks AC,
Dom

Honk honk.   :D ::)Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Quote from: broadway on December 14, 2018, 07:03:14 PM
Interesting... surprised they would put all that work in to hold geese (...or grease, lol) or oil. Guess that's why they stopped it.
Thanks AC,
Dom
It makes sense that grease would stay put on that roughened surface, but did they ever use enough grease in the factory to cover all that real estate? The usual complaint is that manufacturers don't pack enough grease into their product at production time.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector