Help with Ambassadeur Royal Plus 85-0

Started by reelman76, October 24, 2010, 01:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelman76

I recently disassembled, cleaned, and began assembling an Ambassadeur Royal Plus reel. I assembled the right side of the reel without any issues, but am having trouble with the left side. The magnet assembly and control has me befuddled.  I should have taken pictures when I took it apart.  The schematic is not much help, especially since the one I have is for an 85-1 not 85-0.  Does anyone have any helpful tips for assembling the left portion of one of these rare reels?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Mike

alantani

mike, i'm sorry, but i've never had one of those apart.  anyone else????????
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewer

i believe i too have done one of these reels. it had me over a barrel. i however got it (the spring) to fit correctly. sorry i can't recall what i did. all i can suggest is rethink the proccess of how your trying to make it work. meaning it was a royal xxxxx (pain in the butt)!
"stay thirsty my friends"

Pro Reel

I've also done one. I wish I could tell you step by step how it goes, but i would have to be looking at one to remember exactly where it went. I sugest that you go to the forums at mikesreelrepair.com. Someone there may have one and might be able to post some pictures for you.

reelman76

Alan, Brewer, and Pro Reel thank you for your responses. I know there are not many of these reels around anymore, so getting my hands on another one as a Cajun blueprint isn't going as well either.  I will take your advice, Pro and check in the forum at Mike's. And Brewer, you couldn't have put it any better. Over-engineering, anyone?

reelman76

Ok, I finally was able to get this pain in the butt reel back together thanks to a suggestion by Pro Reel to try mikesreelrepair forum.  There I was able to get help from a gentleman in South Africa named Fritz who has been working on Ambassadeurs for 30+ years.  The trick is to build the magnet assembly separately, then install the complete magnet housing onto the frame.  There also was a piece of metal that was originally glued to the magnet ####'y that had debonded that threw me for a loop, but Fritz talked me through that too.  So a big sincere thank you to all involved for your help.

Mike