Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Superhook

There have been one off  odd factory coloured Penn reels and quite a few production run colours of specific models mentioned in the Penn catalogs . It would be great to see as many as possible in one location . I do have some reels and have saved some photos only of reels that have passed by .

Aftermarket handle with drag . Photo only.

A couple of Green plated reels from Martha Henze/Egly Estate auction . The reel on the left is a production run model Level wind . The reel on the right is a #350  , one from a very small group made in the same colour green as the production green used on the #9 , #109 and #209.

The reel in the middle is a one off #349 in a green colour not seen before that the Penn employees presented to Martha

A Salesman's sample with a mix of colours . Appears to be an #85 model. Photo only.

Production run magenta/ pink-plum coloured #27

Photo only. All white #109F (F-freshwater stand)

Photo only . A bright red #26

Alto Mare

This is beautiful, simply amazing....

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere have been one off  odd factory coloured Penn reels and quite a few production run colours of specific models mentioned in the Penn catalogs . It would be great to see as many as possible in one location . I do have some reels and have saved some photos only of reels that have passed by .

This is an amazing set of reels. The color variations were a very popular thing to do by many different brands during the mid 1950's. The whole process started in the 1930's with the special requested colors by the reel rental businesses, by the 1950's many of the odd colors were tried in regular production. Penn introduced the green, gray and plum colors with their monofil reels that were introduced to coincide with the introduction of mono light lines.

Here are a couple of salesman samples of the Penn 85,

Maxed Out

Nice. I think penn was a little ahead of their time on the bright colors......especially that multi colored reel with aftermarket drag/crank.....A few years later and penn likely coulda sold millions during the psychedelic 60's...very cool stuff !!!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

vilters

beautiful reels! that 349 is awesome. I have the more common monofils in diff colors.

fIsHsTiiCkS

That green Monofils is amazing!!! This site is seriousy turning into a penn reel site!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

The reels all look great, but that 349 is amazing!!!, I must have missed it earlier....beautiful!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe reels all look great, but that 349 is amazing!!!, I must have missed it earlier....beautiful!

Sal, that 349 is a One Off, as far as I know the only one to ever exist. I am sure someone will prove me wrong on that someday. This particular reel was released from the Penn vaults for the 2003 Penn Estate auction after Martha Henze passed away. The green 349 was a presentation reel to Martha Henze from the workers. There are no more.

Alto Mare

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Unutt

The only thing I can contribute here.  Looks like a need one of the screws that holds the crank screw in place.

In person, the green is a little darker.  The flash kinda washed out the color a little.

A photographer I am not.
So many reels, so little time.

Penn Chronology

Well, this post absolutely needs this reel. I know it is posted in other threads but it belongs here also.

Not only a very special edition but also absolutely mint.

It does not get much better than this!!!

Thanks Dom..................!

Maxed Out

I agree Michael, that reel should be on every thread. It never gets old looking at it.... and my wife says it's Ok to look..... but don't touch !! lol
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Wow, somehow I missed this topic.   Thanks for opening my eyes to what's out there.  I'm with Sal, that 349 is the cats pajamas!
Geez, I sure wish I was around for that auction.  Fortunately for my bank account that I wasn't. ;)
Beautiful reels guys,
Dom
PS- Thanks for posting Big Red, she's in good company now.