Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

oh.... I forgot about UV resistance.  The heavily pigmented resin would have more resistance to UV degradation.  There's probably not much UV radiation in a smoked-filled pool hall or around a poker table.  Sometimes we see chalky side plates but I don't know if that is from UV or some other sort of oxidation.  It seems like maroon side plates are more likely to look chalky, but maybe the chalk just shows up better.  I don't remember seeing a side plate that is really crazed and cracked throughout but you guys look at old reels and I just look at picturesT.  I don't remember seeing (pictures) of knobs that look like there is UV degradation either.

If the knobs are outsourced then what is the origin of the brightly colored resin in the aberrant side plates?  R&D?  Just somebody screwing around?  Using stuff swept up off the floor may have been euphemistic rather than literal.

I suspect, but do not know, that when the red special senators came out in the 1960's they were using more advanced resins.  There had been several decades of rampant petrochemical development by then.
-steve

George4741

I won this red LB60 on eBay.    Soon after my purchase the same seller listed another, almost identical red LB60.  So, there are more than one out there.  I believe mine was made in the 1990's and appears to be unused.  Too bad the box and papers weren't with it.   

Long Live the Long Beach,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

George, I hope this is what it appears to be, but to have two show up from the same guy would have me scratching both my head and the finish on the inside of the plates looking for paint. It wouldn't be the first time.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

George4741

Sid, when the seller listed another red LB60 soon after I won mine, I was very concerned that something sinister might be going on. :o  However, I now have it in my hot little hands and can confirm it is the reel deal.  The bidding for the second one was over this morning and I hope it went to one of our members.  Maybe he will chime in here.

George    
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

George's reel and the other one that was listed are the real deal.  It did go to a member here, though it wasn't me... that seller is a piece of garbage and I wouldn't buy a Rolls Royce from him if he was selling it for a dollar.  I offered him $75 for the reel before any bids were on it, he declined (which was totally understandable), then I see my offer and my name at the bottom of his listing in the question section.  When I called him out on it he said my offer was absurd as he got another offer for $200 (and mentioned the person who offered it- classless move) that he also declined.  I know the person who offered that so I thought it would be crappy to run his price up to where I knew he would go. Needless to say the reel didn't even fetch the $75 I offered because he listed it like a knucklehead and has a terrible demeanor. 
Happy you got a nice reel and a sweet deal, George. 
PS- I've been watching you pluck some pretty nice reels off ebay... maybe even a schultz and a Higgins here and there. ;)
Stay fishy my friends,
Dom

coastal_dan

Beauties!  Fun to watch these reels on ebay...who knows what they'll fetch.

Sellers on eBay have been getting under my skin a bit lately...super slow handling times (like 7-10 days  >:()  and shipping times of 1 week plus.  Three weeks to get something in todays age absurd...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

George4741

Quote from: broadway on June 21, 2017, 12:55:43 AM
I offered him $75 for the reel before any bids were on it, he declined (which was totally understandable), then I see my offer and my name at the bottom of his listing in the question section.  When I called him out on it he said my offer was absurd as he got another offer for $200 (and mentioned the person who offered it- classless move) that he also declined.  
So, the seller probably got about one fourth of what he was hoping for both reels.  Lucky for us, not so for him.

Quote from: broadway on June 21, 2017, 12:55:43 AM

PS- I've been watching you pluck some pretty nice reels off ebay... maybe even a schultz and a Higgins here and there. ;)
Stay fishy my friends,
Dom

Dom, you're good, very good. ;)  
George
viurem lliures o morirem

thorhammer

Sweet piece. Some of my buys lately have seemed a little slow but I'll say JDL and Jay at Fishgrain (both AT) continue to be fast and fair. 

Maxed Out

Now that is a score !!!

I doubt there are very many more red long beach reels out there or we'd have already seen them. I haven't ever seen one before, so congrats George on a rare find !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

I was the other bidder, the one that lost. I could see what was going on between Dominick and the other person who I know. That is why I backed off. I did not want to drive up the price for this seller. Glad to see it went at the low end. Seller was not too smart.

Penn Chronology

QuoteSee what you started George?
Good to see you just the same. Grin
Glad you guys got some unique reels from a not so unique seller.
It takes all kinds.
Money talks, Bullshit walks. Wink

So far George got the first red Long Beach and then Brian got the second red Long Beach. Who is going to get the third red Long Beach?

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on June 21, 2017, 05:29:55 AM
So far George got the first red Long Beach and then Brian got the second red Long Beach. Who is going to get the third red Long Beach?

Hey...hold on fellas...what about this LB on page three of this very thread?  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on June 21, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
  Hey...hold on fellas...what about this LB on page three of this very thread?  8)

That was posted by Brian Purrone. Was he the seller in the auctions mentioned above? I missed them.
Edit:Nope, can't be Brian, not after the way the seller was referred to above. I had forgotten that.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat was posted by Brian Purrone. Was he the seller in the auctions mentioned above? I missed them.
Edit:Nope, can't be Brian, not after the way the seller was referred to above. I had forgotten that.
Sid

Brian was the buyer of the second Red LB.

Oceanreels

The red Penn Long Beach on page 3 is still in my collection. I just got notified that the one I got yesterday will ship today. From looking at the catalogs they don't indicate a Stainless Steel spool until No.38B, don't have a 37B. What year is the Number 38 catalog?  If someone has the No. 37 catalog could you see what spool they indicate the reel has?
Thanks for the help, Brian

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/