Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I want it!!!!!
I've seen that color on a color chip sample but never on a reel.  Who's reel is that?
Wow,
Dom

Dominick

That is definitely blue.  I thought it might be the lighting or the camera, but look at the green on box.  That is definitely blue.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on December 12, 2018, 08:36:05 PM
Very cool! A 113S? Looks blue to me.

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 12, 2018, 09:57:31 PM
Nice!...Mo, did you make him an offer? :)

Quote from: broadway on December 13, 2018, 03:54:17 AM
  Who's reel is that?

I believe it's that same blue/green/turquoise shade they used on the coloramic Peer reels from the mid 50s. I don't know the owner...I just happened onto the post and began to drool...don't even know if it is for sale. I'd say she's well out of my reach anyway.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

This 113S came up on the Vintage Penn Reels Facebook page. I researched the vintage of it by determining the box labeling. 113S, in my opinion is a 1955 reel. The 4/0 sold for $25.00 in 1955 unless you wanted it with the "S" option, which is the solid one piece spool. it was not a regular issue in 1955. Buying the reel with the one piece spool in 1955 adds about $2.50 to the price of the reel, hence the $27.50 price tag on the box label. The color of the side plates is very close to the teal green being used on the green level wind 109, 9 & 209 series in 1955. I have to put the reel into a end of day category.

Penn did have a special order color chart. Here are the color chips that were found at Penn.

I am color blind, with a green deficiency, so I have a very hard time determining whether something is a particular color. I depend on my wife for that..................<:O(

There is a Green 4/0 in the Penn Plant display cabinet. A very different green than this reel and also without specific history. The people in the plant only knew that it was in that cabinet for a long time.

TongassFisher

I've been trying to buy colored Penn reels to collect and put up as decoration in our house and it has been a real challenge.

I thought I was high rolling on EBay with a bid that went uncomfortably high IMO as it came down to the wire. I ended up never becoming the highest bidder and the winning bid within 10 seconds of the auction ending, went double what I had bid in the last min.

These reels are so cool but probably not in my cards. Darn!

Here is my one colored reel.
501-F1-A14-CB01-484-E-BECF-E947-A9075-B9-F" border="0
FF311094-A668-47-F2-BEB1-EC446-B5-D9-EDC" border="0
7-E238-BA8-877-A-4-F2-F-BF43-0-C1863-F5-A7-FD" border="0

My holy grail reel because they look so cool is the Monofil 27 in the red/rose color! Maybe one day!

1badf350

Trever I thought you also had a grey monofil?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

TongassFisher

I bought one and when I started cleaning it I noticed a crack the entire length of the spool so it was nicely taken back by the person I bought it from.

I want to be like Mo65, the guy has all sorts of cool reels that he scores on EBay for cheap. Then restores them and posts pics. I'm always drooling over his finds!

broadway

Trevor,
    You have to come with guns when it comes to Penn "colored" reels.  My only suggestion is to bid higher or find something else to collect... not trying to be a d*#k, but the fact is that's just how it is.
Best of luck next time,
Dom

Swami805

Don't give up Trevor. Nice about the rose colored 27's is they don't photograph that well. I got this one fo$30 because the seller didn't light it well and it looked brown. Haven't cleaned it, looks like it was never really fished. Maybe I'll find a rose spool to match . Just keep looking
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

Green 155 Beachmaster. No part numbers

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Penn Chronology

QuoteGreen 155 Beachmaster. No part numbers

Colored Monofils are cool but a Green 155 is a whole new level of old colored reels. Chris, you have entered a new zone of Penn collecting. Fantastic find!!!

Alto Mare

Wow! you are finding some nice treasures Chris...what a reel!
That knob looks familiar, I remember seeing one like it not long ago, just a little larger. :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 09, 2019, 12:17:48 PM
Wow! you are finding some nice treasures Chris...what a reel!
That knob looks familiar, I remember seeing one like it not long ago, just a little larger. :)

Sal

I have a Long Beach 67 or 68 with a wooden knob, hard to understand why they kept making wood grasps after they switched mostly to catalin.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

Thank you guys very much! This is a different color green than we are used to seeing on the later monofills and Peer reels. I could be wrong but I feel like this is the same green used on the green 4/0 in the penn headquarters. Mike or anybody can you confirm?
-Chris

Alto Mare

I believe you are correct Chris.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.