Coloured Penn Reels

Started by Superhook, December 20, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 09, 2019, 02:28:04 PM
I could be wrong but I feel like this is the same green used on the green 4/0 in the penn headquarters. Mike or anybody can you confirm?
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 09, 2019, 02:40:41 PM
I believe you are correct Chris.

Sal
x2, I saw it in person as well, at the same time Sal did, actually! I think Martha Henze had a green reel that sold in the big auction in the early 2000s, that was another Senator, I think, but I think the same color.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

It's possible, Chris but, to tell that would take a look at the insides of both of the reels side plates (tony you wanna crack that thing open for us ;D.)  The one in the factory doesn't look like it's seen much sunlight and is very shiny is why I say that. They both are a dark "hunter green."
No matter what I say SCORE!
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteThank you guys very much! This is a different color green than we are used to seeing on the later monofills and Peer reels. I could be wrong but I feel like this is the same green used on the green 4/0 in the penn headquarters. Mike or anybody can you confirm?

This color looks to be very early. Long before the Monofils. I feel this reel is one of the special order reels that were being used for the rental businesses at the California Piers. Sort of like the green used on this late 1930's Sea Ford.

1badf350

This one fits in this thread. Ted bring yours over too
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

You're reely getting some great stuff, Chris !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Great fine I really like that one,,,, ;) is it called rare or medium rare,,,, ;D

oc1

ReelFishingProblems

Somebody please tell me Stay-in-Place madness has finally hit me.

I have an XN Squidder that looked like it had the same bolt patterns as the Monofil 26 plates (I know I'm not the first to discover this) but would it be sheer stupidity and/or madness to build a mini little rank using the extremely awesome looking green plates of a Monofil? Thinking gold Squidder frame, but is there a spool that will fit that frame but made for bushings?

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have an XN Squidder that looked like it had the same bolt patterns as the Monofil 26 plates (I know I'm not the first to discover this) but would it be sheer stupidity and/or madness to build a mini little rank using the extremely awesome looking green plates of a Monofil? Thinking gold Squidder frame, but is there a spool that will fit that frame but made for bushings?

I would think a 29M-100 (Surfmaster 100) spool would fit.

ReelFishingProblems

I would think a 29M-100 (Surfmaster 100) spool would fit.

I may have to grab one to play around with. Thank you for the suggestion

First step is to restore to original beauty with new chrome parts, then maybe just play around to see what's in the realm of possible.

Nick

mo65

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 19, 2020, 11:56:04 AM
Thinking gold Squidder frame, but is there a spool that will fit that frame but made for bushings?

That frame is the extra narrow Squidder...you'll need the P16 Squidder frame and the Surfmaster 100 spool.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat frame is the extra narrow Squidder...you'll need the P16 Squidder frame and the Surfmaster 100 spool.

What spool would you use with the XN frame?

ReelFishingProblems

If i use the Monofil  plates with a new frame I would stick with the P16 frame. I just pulled the XN frame from my XN Squidder that was readily accessible in the house to see what it could look like.
Now I'm thinking I will look for as close to perfect as possible 65 stand and spacer bars.

I used my restless energy to sharpen all my kitchen knives... feeling a little calmer now

mo65

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 24, 2020, 09:41:33 AM
If i use the Monofil  plates with a new frame I would stick with the P16 frame. I just pulled the XN frame from my XN Squidder that was readily accessible in the house to see what it could look like.

Sorry Nick, I see now what you meant, blame it on the bourbon. :D

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: mo65 on April 24, 2020, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 24, 2020, 09:41:33 AM

Sorry Nick, I see now what you meant, blame it on the bourbon. :D

I'll drink to that
Woodford Reserve at noon, Elijah Craig at dinner