Don't Toss That Old Reel Aside! -- Basic Penn Tutorial -- Clean & Service

Started by foakes, December 21, 2014, 12:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Ultra sonic side plates came out great. I will have to invest in one soon.

foakes

Hi Keith --

Yes, on both the Simple Green & Purple Degreaser -- it is half water and half solution.

This can be experimented with to suit your applications -- but this is what I have found works the best for me.

And the mixture is recycled -- generally get 12 to 20 cleanings out pf a batch.  Just use an old double boiler collander set of pans.  And I think you could also filter the solution to get much more.  I generally just get rid of it after 20 reels -- and chalk it up to operational expense.  I use large mouth plastic containers -- but glass works better since the sonic waves are transmitted better through glass then metal -- thus a better cleaning job.

The key is a good solution, and a solid, professional piece of equipment with SS & no heating element to go haywire.  The ultrasonic action generates a little heat anyway.  Mine has a 6 minute timer on it.  Just right to disassemble the next reel -- or for a cup pf coffee.

Also, the Simple Green brand of purple degreaser does not work nearly as well as the ZEP.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Allen00

I looks awesome I just purchased a Penn no.149 for $20.00 it's in pretty good shape I'm trying to find schematics on it any suggestions would be very helpful

RowdyW

A suggestion, stay on one part of the forum when you have a question. Asking the same question in 4 or 5 places will not get you a quicker answer. All posts are available to be read by all members.

Allen00

theswimmer

Quote from: Allen00 on December 06, 2015, 04:08:35 AM
Sorry I'm new to this please give me time and I'll learn ty

Allen,
Mysticparts.com has your schematic on line......
Best,
Jonathan

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

josa1

Hi Fred,

Great job on the reel.  It's special to take something from the refuse heap and return it to useful, beautiful condition.

I really like your cleaning station, seems to do a great job in a very limited amount of time.

and to you....Best!

josa1

ez2cdave

Quote from: El Pescador on December 21, 2014, 05:14:59 PM
And BTW Fred,

I was just online reading the local police blotter, and they have posted an All Points Bulletin for... catch this!!!

47 Missing Plastic Serving trays from the local Taco Bell!!!

Do you have any info. that might help in the investigation!!!! ;D ;D :P

Wayne

Wayne,

So, did they ever catch the "Tray Bandito" ?    LOL !

Tight Lines !

milne

An old thread, But,
    Just need to say that your post Fred was brilliant for a newbie like me, very informative and easy to follow.
   Thank you for your time in putting this up.

Col