Penn Senators : from the beginning

Started by Superhook, December 21, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

12/0 with factory wooden log handle and stand has the wide bolt spacing for the big rod clamp circa 1939.

Superhook

This is an early 2nd generation 12/0 . It has the early logo, the Rosewood torpedo handle knob , drilled 3 piece spool. The big difference to a first gen is the position of the handle & free spool lever.

Maxed Out

Now that's a handle. Must be a really high quality wood to still look that good 75 years later.

I watched one with the log handle auction for very reasonable price one day and I didn't bid because I thought it was someones homemade franken-handle. Ignorance is bliss only if you stay ignorant, now I know better  :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Superhook

Hello Ted,

Yes the wooden log handle is a surprise . I have seen about half a dozen over the years. Definitely factory and only seen on 10/0 and 12/0's ....so far.

The Rosewood and semi-transparent catlin torpedo handles were fitted to some 250 yds. reels of 39/40 era too.

Ray

Alto Mare

Mike and Ray, you guys are like a great New Year's Eve Firework Show, when you think it's over it'll start all over again with some extra bang  ;D

Love it!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

Sal,

Mike's got a killer 4/0 that i hope he will post and then we can move along into the 40's and 50's Senators. Glad you enjoy the reels and it's a pleasure to share.

Ray

Penn Chronology

OK Ray, Here is the 1938 Senator 113---4/O in its original Lighthouse box. These early Senators are built from German Silver rather than brass, but i think I mentioned that on another post.

Only the 1938 reel used this handle, in 1939 Penn changed to the Torpedo handle knob, so these handle styles are fairly rare and valuable. Combine that with the original box and we can have a pretty good auction............ :)

The first 4/O logo is also different than what most Senator users are accustomed to seeing. This logo was used for a few years before it changed to a more modern style.

The condition of the spool on this particular reel looks like it never had line on it but I can not prove that.

This is the first Senator 4/O picture plate and notice the waffle style clicker button is used on this reel. No other Senator will use this style clicker button.

A true first year Senator 4/O will have no markings on the bottom of the stand.

OK Superhook, that should do it. Now you can move to the 1940's and 1950's  :)

Alto Mare

Beautiful reel Mike and the front of that box is in great shape....very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

That sure is a nice 4/0 Mike.....I'm sure you must have several more senators that we'd all enjoy seeing.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Islandgypsy

So Michael, when is the "1958-Present" book coming out with all the trick mods?  Beautiful classic senators you have there.    GB

Penn Chronology

QuoteSo Michael, when is the "1958-Present" book coming out with all the trick mods?  Beautiful classic senators you have there

I wish I knew. It is a long way off.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat sure is a nice 4/0 Mike.....I'm sure you must have several more senators that we'd all enjoy seeing.

I really wish I had more space because I would have more reels in my collection but unfortunately I have had to sell many. One of the ways I have been able to stay close to reels that I have sold is to try to sell my best ones to close friends. Here is one of those beauty's that I have to let go;

This is a New Old Stock 1949 Penn 114. What makes this particular reel very special is 1949 is the last year Penn used the Light House box and the first year of the new generation build style. So the 1949 model is a first and a last, which makes it a talking piece. Notice the original Penn Hang Tag is still with this reel;

Here is an example showing how Penn did a price change addition to the box label. Penn always reused old labels by simply add a sticker to the label with the new price.

I sold this reel about 7 years ago and have never come across another one this nice but I did make sure it went to a very good home............. ;)

Alto Mare

Here is another interesting reel from Ted ( Max Doubt)

broadway

That reel didn't look anything like that before Ted polished her up... now that's preservation and a one of a kind if I'm not mistaken.
Ted has one of, if not the most comprehensive 9/0 collection known to man. A keen eye and time is necessary in amassing a collection like that now a days.
Beautiful job on that baby,
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, if Ray has only seen a half dozen of these handles and only on the 10/0 and 12/0, you know it's got to be rare ;).