Penn Senators : from the beginning

Started by Superhook, December 21, 2014, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DillyDally

Interesting, Tightlines...Though, I've never seen a Penn schematic that shows the oiler fitting as a user serviceable part. Nor have I seen one on anybody's parts list.  Would you just employ your removal theory, and cannibalize one from another handle? I'm very curious to see how that works for you, should you decide on that route. 

My other theory might still one day be proven viable...IF somebody comes across some other Penn handles so adorned from that period.  It looks like the same rivet that I've seen on SOME of the early "pear shaped" handle knobs.  So it stands to reason that if there was a shortage of oiler fittings once full production of reels resumed, that somebody might have made the decision to grab a box of those out of some corner, press them in, and get the reels out the door!  These little glimpses of small-time history really fascinate me.

Other than curiosity, it really makes no difference to me. I don't plan on changing it, and I'll be fishing with this reel, rather than making a museum piece out of it anyway. This reel has a nice feel to it, and I've always had a soft spot for anything produced in the 40s.  It sure was fun to put this together from the "bag of parts" condition that I bought it in!  Apparently, the previous owner had taken it apart DECADES ago, and had long forgotten how to put it back together.  I'm really amazed that it actually came to me with only a very few small parts missing.  The pinion gear had rusted onto the spool shaft though, and after weeks of trying nearly every break-free recipe I could find, I finally resorted to heating it red with a torch, and it finally let go.  No damage to anything!  I did also upgrade the drag with some thin carbontex washers...and added another set of metal washers to fill out the stack. It should be more drag than I'll ever need!

Anyway...Thanks for the welcome, Dom.  I feel like I'm in a room with an impressive collective set of knowledge.  Maybe like being at a WWII reunion, and listening in on all the experience, drama, and even on long-lost "common knowledge"!  I appreciate you all having me aboard!  Dale

Superhook

Ted's 1938 #6 Coloured catalog . L'house box . Log handle 9/0 reel with outer drag access and extras.

Small Penn bag with early address.

Oil tube in original box which fits into another box for shipping/protection.

Oceanreels

There you go. Never know what will pop up.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

mo65

I finally scored a decent 9/0 "from the beginning"...possibly a first year '36...but no later than a '38. Considering this dude is 80 years old I guess it's condition isn't really too bad. The handle nut is boogered, the tail plate bearing is well worn, and the rings have some brassing. All this must just be poor care and bad handling by previous owners, because inside it was spotless. I'm pretty sure this reel was never wet until I dunked it in a soapy sink. I'm leaving it all stock, even the 2 leather/1 red fiber 3-stack. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Superhook

Mo,

That's much better than anyone should expect to find. Great piece of Penn history.

Ray

Tightlines667

Beautiful reel there Mo!  I wish my early 9/0 was half as nice.  That will make a great shelfie.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Oceanreels

That's a lot better than decent. Nice early 9/0.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Benni3

thorhammer

sdlehr

Wow, Mo! Great find! The spool seems immaculate yet the ring on the outside right is brassing.... I smell a mystery here! What does the foot look like? How about the left side ring? It doesn't look like there is brassing on the handle in the place one's thumb usually rubs.... is that so? In what situation would this wear as it has? Hmmm. I like mysteries. This reel has a story to tell, we just don't know what it is yet.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on July 31, 2017, 04:30:33 PM
Wow, Mo! Great find! The spool seems immaculate yet the ring on the outside right is brassing.... I smell a mystery here! What does the foot look like? How about the left side ring? It doesn't look like there is brassing on the handle in the place one's thumb usually rubs.... is that so? In what situation would this wear as it has? Hmmm. I like mysteries. This reel has a story to tell, we just don't know what it is yet.

Sid

Thanks Sid, let me see if I can solve this. I think the mystery is just wear you folks near the coast aren't used to seeing. You guys see wear from use...here in the hills we see wear from being stored in a junk drawer. Or toted from flea market to flea market in a milk crate. I see lots of reels with great spools. Being completely covered in dry, unused line for 50+ years keeps chrome mint. The total opposite of wet line. What the pics don't show is that spool has a marking where the line edge was. The stand looks just like the rings. The only reason that front outside ring looks so brassy is some former owner thought a brillo pad would restore his reel...sheesh! This reel shipped from Tennessee...I can picture it spending the past 70 years in some ol' timers' dresser.  Being dragged by and bounced around on that tail side bearing explains why it has no chrome. Fast forward to an auction...where some picker decided he could get more out of it by stripping that old linen line...and scrubbing the reel clean. That's how I see this one's story. Thanks everyone for the interest! 8)

Maxed Out

Nice early example of a 1st generation 9/0 Mo.

The tail plate bearing cup seems to be the first thing to go, as far as the plating.

I believe the bearing was not plated as well as the other parts, but that's just my opinion.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Hi Mo, nice find, this is a really good post, I am learning all the time from you good people, I have Just brought a 9/0 & a 10/0, I wont see them in person, for a week or two, I have brought 2 114H reels with standup Penn rods, the last month, I stripped them down & cleaned them up, they both had roller bearings, My mate had a 114, that belonged to his father, I stripped it down on the weekend and restored it, it had brass bearings and the old 3 washer drag, that I have converted to cf, I still need some metal drag washers for it, I will do some resurch for them, as the postage from America is real costly, thank for all this good info, you people are teaching us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Shark Hunter

Great find on that reel Mo.
She is looker. ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

I was fooling around with the camera last night and I think I found an angle that shows a more true representation of my 9/0. I adjusted the focus point to the spool instead of auto-focus...this pic is how she really looks.
Now you can see the "rim" where the line protected the spool, the "plain" tail plate, and that bearing with all the "character". 8)