113h Drag, 7-stack or 113hx

Started by Rocket Dog, August 27, 2020, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Dog

I'm building a new 4/0 and wanted get some impute on the 7-stack vs the 113hx or even the 5-stack. I have NOS 4:1 Newell gears and SS gear sleeve, DD, Tib narrow frame, ect. Live in SoCal, so  it'll be used from everything. Just wanted to know how smooth each are and amount of drag they get in the real world. I now the 113HX more than just the drag, but still  want to know if anyone has both and what they prefer. It also seems that the 113hx is the strongest followed by the 7 and 5.

Thanks

alantani

what line weight are you going to fish and how much drag do you want?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rocket Dog

Hi Alan, I have 80lbs braid, so.... if I want to break stuff, well 80, but most likely 60lbs. It's always a fine line.  ;)

RowdyW

Dog, if you are using 60# line then the 5 stack would work fine. For 80# line I would go for either the 7+1 or hex. The 7+1 uses original Penn HT- 100 cf washers which are easier to find if replacement should become neccessary. One thing you will find is that as you increase the drag surface area the drag adjustment becomes more touchy by ramping up faster. As far as smoothness they are all smooth especially if you coat them with Cal's. For regular use I prefer the original 5 stack & for heavy use I prefer the 7+1 setup. None of the choices are the wrong choice.          Rudy

Rocket Dog

Quote from: RowdyW on August 28, 2020, 12:25:54 AM
Dog, if you are using 60# line then the 5 stack would work fine. For 80# line I would go for either the 7+1 or hex. The 7+1 uses original Penn HT- 100 cf washers which are easier to find if replacement should become neccessary. One thing you will find is that as you increase the drag surface area the drag adjustment becomes more touchy by ramping up faster. As far as smoothness they are all smooth especially if you coat them with Cal's. For regular use I prefer the original 5 stack & for heavy use I prefer the 7+1 setup. None of the choices are the wrong choice.          Rudy

Thanks, I was able to find that posted on a different thread, but was hard to tell if 1/4 a adjustments where increasing the drag by +2, +4, +5. Your point on the accessibility of the ht-100 was also on my mind, but how often do they need replacement? I think I have only replaced  1 or 2 in the last few years, though never the enter stack.

alantani

Quote from: RowdyW on August 28, 2020, 12:25:54 AM
Dog, if you are using 60# line then the 5 stack would work fine. Rudy

this......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

I think I would go with the 7+1, just a couple $ more and should last a very long time and the metals are nice and flat. Those newell gears a nice, with the other SS stuff you could you're set
Do what you can with that you have where you are