changes that were long overdue.......

Started by alantani, October 26, 2010, 06:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day Alan,
I saw this article today and couldn't help but think of your site.
It's about the rise of niche social networks and how this couple now makes a comfortable living from their hobby/passion.
http://www.slate.com/id/2298584/pagenum/all/
Now, granted, the site's about knitting, but it appears to be a community of like-minded people, who help each other out - much like ours.
I know it's a bit out of context, so feel free to delete if of no interest.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

not a problem.  my wife was asking about the traffic here and was wondering about advertising........

the answer is still no.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

I agree Alan - good call.
'Twas the member contribution part that I thought might give you more free time to 'service our needs'!
Have a good weekend, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on July 08, 2011, 05:59:48 AM
not a problem.  my wife was asking about the traffic here and was wondering about advertising........

the answer is still no.

We appreciate it Alan, thank you! You're the best!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

I have to say this, though I don't know if this is the right place, I'm in a lot of forums across several broad interests, fishing, boating, hot rodding / modifying chevys in general and specifically trucks, and this is the "nicest" cleanest, politest, and the one where people are most willing to share experience and viewpoints on how to do something.  You can post a question and get a useable answer, and not feel intimidated, or feel stupid.  I really like the "my 12yr old daughter test".... part.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Norcal Pescador

Your comments are in the right place.
We all appreciate the great attitudes shown here and maybe it's due in part to the extremely focused subject matter discussed here and the maturity of the members. But I believe the greatest influences are the standards set by Alan and the hard work that he and Bryan put in to screening applicants, monitoring and banning idiots.
As a moderator, my job has been relatively easy thanks to the members, the other moderators, Bryan and Alan.
Stay focused and keep up the good work all! 8) 8)

My 2 cents.  Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Hey Rob,

Don't dismiss the time you and the other moderators put into this site.  Bryan and Alan may run the show, but you guys are instrumental in the quality of this Fantastic site!  So, thanks to all you guys who help to better this site, pass on your knowledge, and participate in any positive manner. Now... GO FISHIN'!
Dom

Bryan Young

What did I miss???  First time on...wow, 72 new member requests just today.  I bet that all but 3 will be spammers...how do you spam a spammer???

I must say that it's a team effort to keep this board operating like it has, and as we continue.  My mahalos to all the Mods.  

To tell you the truth, was Alan and I discussed opening up all sub-forums, we knew we needed moderators, but who?  Unfortunately, Alan and I have not had the luxury to meet any of the moderators, so the selection process was not one with personal touches.  It was somewhat scientific.  The cadidates were initially selected by...the number of posts.  Then, Alan and I read each individual's responese on an on-going selection process to see if their responses is naturally in line with the personality of this site while focusing on the DIY reel maintenance/repair/upgrade.  Then the PMs went out and hoped for the best, and that is what we got, the BEST.

So, this reminds me of a saying that is stick in my head...It's not what I do, but who I empower to do.

Lastly, a large part of the success of this forum is it's members.  To date, since the forum openned up in December 2008, I've never had to banned or suspend an existing member for their conduct (I'm talking about the spammers that somehow got through), and maybe 3 language warnings.  That's an excellent record.  Thank you to you all.  
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Taily

I was going to ask that very question Bryan - that is had there actually been anyone banned for untoward behaviour, as I don't remember reading anything that could have been construed as that sort of thing anywhere here ever!

I feel that it is a mark of respect to yourselves (the mods) and of course to Alan, that keeps this place both free to use and free of the rubbish that often invades other boards. That is also a big hats-off to all of the other members too!

I must admit I love the place and the great work you all do keeping it as such!

Regards,

Dave ;D
Nunc est bibendum....

wallacewt

its nice to be nice to nice people,  isnt that nice  :D :D :D :D

Alto Mare

Great line as usual Wallace, very nicely said ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

my youngest daughter registered here.  i had to kick her out.....   ;D

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on July 09, 2011, 02:17:28 AMmy youngest daughter registered here.  i had to kick her out.....   ;D
Really?  Was she trying to spy on you or is she interested in getting into reels inbetween her other joys of life?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FishinFlyer

Alan,

You're a legend, and I appreciate being able to be a member here!  The info on this website is fantastic, glad to have found it...hopefully I can be a worthy contributor!

Thanks,

Jon in Houston

alantani