changes that were long overdue.......

Started by alantani, October 26, 2010, 06:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

spread out a little, guys.  the majority of the board is now open.  bryan young has been very helpful and recruited a few moderators.  i'm hoping that new posts can go to their closest board and old questions now in the welcome board about specific reels can now be moved. after nearly 2 years, the welcome board has gotten a little overloaded.  there is alot of good information there, but it's impossible to find.  hence the change.  so here are some general guidelines........

registration - there is no requirement to register just to read what's here.  think of this place as a library.  c'mom in, copy and paste what you need and you're all set!  people just have to register to post.  the concern is more to keep out spammers and bots.  i ban dozens of spammers a week.  these guys really are a bunch of idiots!  beyond that, it does not matter to me.  we do not need to drum up numbers to prove to sponsors that we are worth the advertising dollars because there is no advertising.  the big advantage of registering is that you can drop in, click on "unread posts" and get caught up quick. 

boards and topics - i would like the board to remain a "tech" site only.  there are many sites where people can discuss local fishing issues.  fishing pretty much sucks everywhere and we all know that already.  engines and electronics can likewise be addressed elsewhere because that would be like the blind leading the blind.  hey, we're good at fishing reels.  let's stay with what we know.  but i guess if someone wants to start a rod board, i'm good with that as long that person is willing to maintain it. 

other links - i am happy to see people post links to their products as long as they are fishing reel related.  remember, the site has no sponsorship, so there is no need to promote one product over another, or exclude one product over another. 

standards for behavior - i have a 12 year old daughter.  i have asked the moderators to immediately delete anything that would be inappropriate for her to read.  thanks!  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mr t

verry cool.

I like the standards part; I have a 10 year old son and sometimes he comes up over my sholder and says "uhh dad, what did that guy mean when he said that?"

Roger

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

kamuwela

im all in with you alan. i have two young daughters too and promise to do all i can for your site
                                             aloha kamu

Martianfish

Put me down as one of your library readers.  It's already fixed a major problem for me and has given me some other ideas for maintaining my gear.

Bucktail

Nice!  In a very short time, this site has become the place to go for info on reel repair.
Just a jig-a-lo

Norcal Pescador

Thanks, Alan and Bryan, for taking this big step. Let's all keep the good thing going!  8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Hey A.T. Crew,

I hope I'm not the only bachelor here, but if I am... that just means more for me  ;)  As some of you have already noticed I have a mind that's just a wee bit on the dirty side, but I promise to do my best.  If I say something that isn't quite appropriate I will apologize, but remember when you didn't have kids... sometimes we don't even realize kids are present or listening (in this case reading).  I slip with the four-lettered words all the time with my niece and nephew.  So, I will keep it as clean as my Senators, however they even get dirty sometimes ;)
Dom

Jim

Ibseeker

Very well said, Alan. That's a Welcome post I can understand. I was a little confused at first glance at the Welcome thread...seems more like a general discussion. However after reading this post I'll take my reel related questions to the appropriate place, well that's the plan anyway. Let's see how I do. ;)

This forum looks like a great resource. I appreciate what you've done here.

Thank you Alan,

Chuck

wetboat

Hi Alan,

I have just recently got reaqainted with fishing again. That bug bit and I responded. With my girlfriends encourgement I picked up a nice little fishing boat and heard about coastside. That club has been very encoureging and has been a delight to see people being so supportive to one another. I also discovered you and all the reel advice you have passed along. Not just passing on but doing it in a manner that a friend does for a friend. I have also seen how charitable you are and giving back is pretty cool too.

So with all the thanks being said I look forward to meeting you and having somer of my Dads old reels brought back to date and some of my current stuff geting the 100,000 mile check up

Best New Year to you, Wetboat.

alantani

keith came by with a bottle of bourbon today (beware of greeks bearing gifts!  ;D ) and we talked briefly about the website.  have you seen the new rebuild posts coming in?  you know, we're getting 10,000 hits and 1,000 individual visitors every day!  the more i think about it, the more convinced i am that no advertising and no sponsorship is the right way to go.  right now, we own this website.  i don't ever want the website to start owning us.  guys, thanks for making this place what it is. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Where's the like button? (for you facebookers)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keith K

flip

Quote from: alantani on February 28, 2011, 02:34:03 AM
keith came by with a bottle of bourbon today (beware of greeks bearing gifts!  ;D ) and we talked briefly about the website.  have you seen the new rebuild posts coming in?  you know, we're getting 10,000 hits and 1,000 individual visitors every day!  the more i think about it, the more convinced i am that no advertising and no sponsorship is the right way to go.  right now, we own this website.  i don't ever want the website to start owning us.  guys, thanks for making this place what it is. 

Yep, that's whats good about this place.
and the shared knowledge, and the members, and...
btw Alan, thanks for starting it it all!