Rare Old D.A.M. Quick 221 Simple Tutorial, Breakdown, Cleaning, Service, Restoration

Started by foakes, January 02, 2015, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Pictured is an old D.A.M. Quick 221 spinning reel from about 1969.

D.A.M. stands for Deutsche Angelerate Manufaktur (German Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Co.).

This particular reel is fairly rare -- since it is the 221 version of the little 220.  Few were made.

That means it is a high speed geared model (5:1 instead of 3:1).  The differences are of course the gears, and the handle crank is longer for more torque.  There is a tiny red "S" on the right side lower body.

The handle is fully reversible from a right to a left version -- the handle folds down, and the bail will reverse when being stored to take the constant pressure off of the bail spring.

These are made from aircraft grade aluminum bodies and rotors.  The gears consist of a solid high grade steel for the worm drive -- along with a phosphor cut bronze main gear.  There is an oversize ball bearing.  All components are very strong and overbuilt for performance and longevity.  This becomes evident as one overhauls this 45 year old reel with the original old brown grease from the factory still in place.  It is a lot of fun for me to restore these old reels back to original.  I do use modern oils and greases -- and that makes a big improvement over the old type lubricants.  Many people think these old Quicks are not worth restoring or using -- since the old brown grease turns to beeswax -- and the reel becomes stiff and nearly inoperable.

However, just the opposite is true.  

These are great little trout, bass, or striper reels for rivers, lakes, and streams.

This is a reel for a member of the Alan Tani Website.

We start with the reel --

Got a few to do in the smaller sizes --

Starting to disassemble completely prior to cleaning with mineral Spirits, Simple Green, Purple ZEP Degreaser, steel wool --

Old brown dried up grease --

Removing crank handle by punching out pin --

Mostly disassembled except for worm gear and bearing --

Removing main bearing snap ring --

Temporarily attach hex rotor nut on worm gear drive shaft , if bearing is stuck in body -- for leverage --

Pound out drive shaft using soft faced hammer and blocks of wood --

Cleaned and ready to reassemble --
Basically to keep it simple -- think of the reel as just 4 components -- body, rotating head with bail and trip assembly, crank handle assembly, and spool with drag assembly -- assemble these units separately -- then attach them together.

Drive axle, main gear, anti-reverse lever --

Reseating crank handle pin --

Complete rotor assembly with bail, and complete spool with drag --

Attaching anti-reverse lever --

Crank nut going on drive axle --

Installing bearing and worm drive --

Installing bearing shield, spring washer, and snap ring --

Re-seating worm drive into main bearing --

Attaching rotor assembly to body assembly using drive plate, spring washer, and hex nut --

Easy method to burnish and polish inside of worm drive or various bushings using a drill, bit, and "0000" steel wool wound around the bit --

Polishing and burnishing brass bushings --

Done --

Better than new --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

You sure know your stuff Fred. Make it look so easy. Had a couple of these in the '70s that I used for bass fishing before I discovered baitcasters. They were a step up from my Mitchell 309 and 409 reels that they replaced. Unfortunately I lost them when the in laws farm house, that they were stored in, burnt down in a fire.

Happy New Year, and keep them coming in 2015  ;)

Regards,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Fred, very good idea using a drill bit and steel wool, I also use steel wool to clean those, but never thought about wrapping it on a drill bit.
Very good tip, I just want to mention that on my reels I only use Stainless steel wool, that steel wool could make a mess if not cleaned properly, the small pieces get everywhere.
Here is what I've been using:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-434-Wool-Roll-1-lb-Reel-Fine-/310225176985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483adc8999

Thanks for sharing Fred.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Hi Terry --

If you ever decide to do a couple of old Quicks -- just pick them up, and I should be able to help you with advice and/or any parts.  Or I also have nearly any Quick you might want.

Jon -- DAM made some larger conventional multiplier reels in recent years for ocean trolling -- some with lever drags.  But, I am not familiar with them.  Looked into becoming a dealer and service center for them about 15 years ago.  Glad I did not do it -- the company was in flux from moving most of their production from Germany to Asia -- and they wanted a minimum order of $10,000 to start.  That might have been OK if I felt there was company support and promotion here in the States -- but there wasn't, and still isn't.

Sal -- you are right about the steel wool.   The SS wool looks like a good idea.  I used to use brass wool,  but it was too pricey.  I do some furniture projects requiring multiple coats of lacquer and steel wool rubbing in between coats -- followed by a hand rubbed final application of Rottenstone & Peanut Oil.  So I have 0000 on hand.  It needs to be blown off with air -- then a quick 2 minute routine in the Ultrasonic takes care of any bits left behind.  May try the SS, if I can get it in 0000, or smaller grade.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

Quote from: theswimmer on January 02, 2015, 12:15:45 PM
Fred did DAM ever make a surfcasting size reel?

There are much larger ones that would work perfectly well. Having Grand Meister Foakes about he probably has every part you would ever need :).

Thanks for the fine post. I always wanted one of these as a kid for troutin' and messing about. Pair one of those with an old Fenwick (or vintage bamboo rod) and you would be a stylin' OG. :)

Zimbass

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Tightlines667

Good info on the use of steel wool.  I've used similar methods to polish.  Sight have to look into buying some of that stainless.  Guess, I have just been meticulous about cleaning the parts after using plain 0000 wool.  BTW I just tried my ultrasonic cleaner out on 2 reels, and I like it so far.  Like the way it cleans small bearings, and the clutch mech on shimano spinners.  Wonder how it will handle Tiagra 130s.  Maybe I'll find out tomorrow.  Fred I bet you could just about do one of those reels in your sleep.  Well done. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Great work! I love the old spinners for bait fishing with trout! I'm looking for a DAM 110, after seeing these posts, to finish a nice trout bait setup

Lunker Larry

Bought this reel in 1973. Used it to fish for Coho Salmon, sea run Steelhead, Dolley Varden and Cut Throat trout and anything else that showed up. It was an outstanding reel and stood up to everything. Back in the day the plastic insert that aligned the bail fell out. Being on the Queen Charlotte Islands and of course, no internet or any idea on how to order parts, I filled it in with solder and it has been that way ever since. Came across the reel in my pile this year and decided to clean it up. Built like a tank. Can you still get parts for these? I'd like to replace the solder fix with the proper part. You can see what I'm talking about in the second picture.

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

foakes

Hi Larry --

Yes, it is a small black plastic part called a cover cap -- part# 100-112.

You should be able to re-melt the solder out of the bail -- and just install this cap.

I can send you this part if you pm me your mailing address --

If you need a new bail (doubtful) -- I can do that also.

Just depends on if your solder re-heating job comes out clean or not.

These bail wires were designed to have a little movement in that area so they would not bind up as easily.  This part just covers that hole so it is a little more protected and pleasing to the eye.

Let me know -- glad to help, if possible.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lunker Larry

outstanding. thanks Fred. I see you just happen to have a couple laying around  :D
The bail is still good.
Very much appreciate.
PM sent

Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

foakes

In the mail, Larry --

Sent (2) in case one gets messed up during installation attempt after removing the solder.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Again, many thanks Fred and very much appreciated. I'll post a pic (if it works  ???)

Lunker Larry

Thanks to Fred this old reel looks as good as......well, as good as it gets when you think of what it went through back in the days. At least it has all its parts and I am very happy and grateful. Might even take the old girl out on a field trip this summer ;D
Solder came out pretty easily with a torch and with my dremel. Popped right in. Too easy.
Thanks again to Fred for graciously helping me out.
Here's the fix and I also included a shot of my little workshop just because.