Rare Old D.A.M. Quick 221 Simple Tutorial, Breakdown, Cleaning, Service, Restoration

Started by foakes, January 02, 2015, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

And my .02 cents if I may, I've got one of Fred's 221 build series and what a tremendous reel, just the right size for most of the freshwater fishing I do down here in south Florida, bass, Peacock bass, panfish, exotics finesse, power,  it just feels good in hand, spooled with a 4 or 6 weight line on a 6-7' rod its a serious ultra light combination, now my go to reel, I need to acquire a few more spare spools but they are non existent ( hope Fred reads this post )  ....

Paul

CH

Quote from: SilverRidge on June 16, 2017, 03:45:05 PM
........................221 build series ........................  spooled with a 4 or 6 weight line on a 6-7' rod its a serious ultra light combination......................

220 series Quicks on 6-7ft. rods .....I call that a light action at best.  110 size or smaller on 5 1/2 ft. or smaller UL rods, spooled with no more than 4 lb., is in my mind what's considered true ultralight.

A 220 series is more in line with modern 3000 series reels the way I see it. I commonly use this size with 8 lb on a 6 1/2 - 7ft light action  or medium light action rod for channel  catfish, walleye, steelhead, medium size pike, largemouth bass and such.

Try a 110 or microlite on a 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 ft. UL rod with 2-4 lb test for a true UL fishing experience. And be ready for some super fun fishing. Make sure you have that drag tweaked right and running smooth. I've caught some very large fish in both salt and fresh water using these rigs. And it's always a rush.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Rancanfish

I love when I get slammed by a big fish when using a small reel.  You really have to play them carefully.  Nothing more fun than having to back-reel to keep from breaking off.  Keep in mind I am not advocating playing them to death. We have to respect Mother Nature and her creatures.

I have a 110n that's waiting for a trip to Fred's.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

handyandy

Fred reading through all these post about 220/221 reels do you know if the earlier 238 metal spools fit on the 220/221? I'm tempted to buy one if this is the case as an extra spool for my 221 I went through a while back. I made some carbon fiber drags for my 221 and greased them man what difference it made one of my favorite all purpose reels now.

foakes

Yes,

It will work, Andy.

The spindle/arbor needs to be switched also -- due to the size difference in the spool axles.

Some of the early 238 spools may be metal -- just checked a bin full of 238's -- all are plastic -- but they do switch over with some parts modification.

Haven't had the time to check further -- and won't for a few days, but the spacer/under spool washers may also need to have their numbers adjusted also -- to dial in the proper line lay when in retrieving mode.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

thanks for the reply ed there is a 238 spool and arbor NOS on ebay but can't quiet tell if it's metal or not. Looks like it might be but I haven't gotten a response back from the seller yet.

mo65

I started tearing down a 221 to restore it and have found a few hiccups. The first photo shows the spool with drag washers trapped inside. What's with that metal disc?(the spoked section that looks like part of the spool) It's molded into the plastic spool...holding the drag washers hostage. I'm guessing these drags aren't removable?
   The second pic shows the spool's drag ratchet. This piece was dry as a bone...no lube...and it's condition is the proof. It seems to work fine, but sho is ugly! Should this be replaced? Fred...do you have this piece?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Got everything you need, Mike --

Just get a little flat blade screwdriver under the edge of the 8 tooth drag retainer -- and it will just pop out.

Goes back in place easily enough.

You will find a drag stack with resistex hard washers -- which are very effective & nickel coated brass alloy.

CF can be substituted -- but must be cut to size.

Let me know what you need after you get the stack loose.

There is a lot of rust and crud to clean up on this one -- but no hill for a mountain climber like you.

Looks like the under gear clicker may be stuck -- if it tore up the click wheel that badly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on July 14, 2017, 06:48:44 PM
Let me know what you need after you get the stack loose.

Hee hee...maybe I should have just pried on that retainer...it popped right off. Well, you know, 50 year old plastic makes me nervous. If that stack is correct I'll leave it alone...I like the resistex in my 270 Super. I included a close up of that clicker. It appears fine...looks like the ratchet took all the wear. It did work fine before I disassembled, but that doesn't mean it wasn't stuck at some point.

foakes

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Thanks Fred, you da man! You are so right about these Quicks, they are so well built. I can't get over the size of the pinion bearing...it's a beast! I have a feeling I'll be fishing this reel. 8)

happyhooker

Fred helped me with that same question on the drag stack & the serrated washer "keeper".  Was glad I got it off & cleaned up; note the serrated washer only goes back on with the "lip" edge up.

handyandy

I replaced the resistax in mine with some CF I filed down love the reel drag as smooth as silk. You won't be disappointed going to CF in that reel.

festus

Excuse me for revisiting this older very useful thread.

There is a couple of things I haven't attempted to try to service on a D.A.M. Quick reel.

One task I removing and servicing the worm gear and bearing.

My question is, what is the name of this tool used to remove the snap ring?  

Crow

snap ring pliers       some are made for "external" rings, and some for "internal" rings.....and some will do 'both", by switching the fulcrum point
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !