Rare Old D.A.M. Quick 221 Simple Tutorial, Breakdown, Cleaning, Service, Restoration

Started by foakes, January 02, 2015, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Mo,

You are absolutely right. I have see him post it repeatedly. I should have just followed the steps he posted. I got lazy and thought that the burnishing and polishing was just an extra step for the very detail oriented repair/refurbish. I think of many of the experts here as master craftsmen that far exceed my ability. But there is no better time than now during the stay at home order to practice all the techniques discussed on this forum and try to get good at them.

Fred,

Thank you again for your endless patience, for reposting that step by step process so anyone can follow it correctly.

Nick

foakes

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 09, 2020, 10:43:56 AM
Mo,

You are absolutely right. I have see him post it repeatedly. I should have just followed the steps he posted. I got lazy and thought that the burnishing and polishing was just an extra step for the very detail oriented repair/refurbish. I think of many of the experts here as master craftsmen that far exceed my ability. But there is no better time than now during the stay at home order to practice all the techniques discussed on this forum and try to get good at them.

Fred,

Thank you again for your endless patience, for reposting that step by step process so anyone can follow it correctly.

Nick

Yes, it is a funny thing on these old Quicks, Nick, and others --

The over-built strength of these under-valued DAM Quicks, manufactured tolerances, engineer's selection of softer and harder metals (steel, bronze, aluminum, and such), that have "zero" tolerance degradation over 50 or 60 years -- means that all these reels need -- even when abused -- is a thorough going through -- paying particular attention to details that would not matter with a typical 55 year old reel -- since most would not be worth restoring after over half a century.

All we are doing is removing a half Mil or less -- of built up tarnish on the metal mating surfaces -- until they work smooth and slick WITHOUT any lubes -- then when the modern synthetic oil and synthetic grease is applied -- they are actually better than when they were new.

As an example, I can take a brand new spool shaft & worm pinion gear out of the new parts bins from a half century ago -- and unless I remove the accumulated tarnish of time -- they will not operate at optimum.

I know that I sound like an old woman sometimes -- but this is where my personal craft has evolved over 40+ years, so far.  So all I am trying to do is offer advice that is not written in any books, or on any other websites, or even explained by the original excellent engineers -- because they are not with us today.

Basically -- these are useful and efficient shortcuts based on decades of experience -- and any time I discover a new or more efficient way -- I add that to the recipe.

The yardstick of success in restoring these old soldiers -- is to not only hear no friction noise -- but for the experienced reel mechanic to not feel any roughness or sluggishness, either. 

On Alan's website -- there are many of us who like to share these techniques -- freely and openly.  Guys like Sal, Tom, Bill, Mike, Daron, Festus, Alan, and a few dozen others.  In this day and age of toss-away reels and other products -- ours is a dying art that we are reviving for those who are interested.

The seemingly tiny details that are often overlooked by most reel techs -- make up 95% of the difference between a serviced reel -- and a solid and capable reel that has gone to the next level that few techs even know exists -- a reel that is ready for another half century of capable fishing.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ReelFishingProblems

I greatly appreciate the help and encouragement.

I tore the reel down again and cleaned off the grease and oil.

Below is everything laid out

I don't have a punch for the handle assembly (it should be here Sunday)

I used a nail for the spool shaft (and the pin went somewhere I haven't found yet, which led to ordering the punch)

foakes

Good, Nick --

If you burnish these marked parts with "0000" steel wool and Nevr-Dull where possible -- then clean the parts burnished again, dry, and reassemble with proper amount of lubes (not over-doing it) -- it will likely be perfect, or close to it.

Also do the South side of the oscillation brass connecting arm.

If you can't find the spool stop pin -- or if it is bent -- just PM me your mailing information -- and I will drop one in the mail -- N/C.  It is a 100041.

Glad you are getting that crank assembly taken apart.  As soon as you punch out the pin -- there are (7) parts that would benefit greatly by a proper cleaning and burnishing.  It is not necessary to remove the gear from the crank axle.  Just clean the gear, axle, and pin all at once -- better to leave it intact.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Great reminder, once again. I've burnished all internal cleaned parts, including most springs, from the beginning of my reel restoration/servicing hobby. It has become so natural and part of my process that don't even think twice about it. I noticed right away that any metal parts left to sit in lacquer thinner more than an hour came out with a thin film on them. Anything less than an hour still had old lube & film on them. I opted early on to let them soak overnight since I don't have to get reels out to clients. When the parts come out of the thinner jar they're wiped off with a non-greasy rag and immediately burnished with a wire brush, green scotch brite or 1000 grit paper, depending on their surface, to remove that thinner film. I haven't found the need to use a buffing wheel, yet, but it sure would improve the surface and maybe eliminate some paper burnishing. The moral of my story, though, is that burnishing has become so common place that I presume everyone knows about and does it. Shame on me for making assumptions, I know better.  ;D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ReelFishingProblems

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all your help.
I just got finished servicing my 330 properly this time.
It is an amazing world of difference. It is smooooth!

Can't wait to fish this reel.

Nick

mo65

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 13, 2020, 08:21:27 PM
I just got finished servicing my 330 properly this time.
It is an amazing world of difference. It is smooooth!

Bravo! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

Hi team,
I've gotten around to cleaning up a parts bucket 221. It's the only reel I have left un-serviced at the moment, might be time to find some more... I have just noticed the line roller is rusted on solid, any hints on how to get it off with completely stuffing it or the bail wire? Have already tried soaking in gasoline, then vinegar. It is not budging!

Cheers,
Andrew

Midway Tommy

If it were mine I would remove it from the rotor & bail arm and let it soak in penetrating oil for a couple of days, and then cover the line guide/roller with a piece of leather and try to gently work it back and forth a few times with a small pliers. The leather should keep the roller from getting scratched. If it still doesn't come loose I'd soak it some more & try again. It should eventually break loose. You need to be persistent, yet gentle. Once removed you can clean it up well so it works as it should.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Hi Andrew —

I use a jar filled with straight Lacquer Thinner — with the ultrasonic cleaner.

No heat — 16 minutes — let it stay in the lacquer thinner overnight — then hit it again for 16 minutes in the morning.

Should come right off.

These often times become rusted if not serviced or if used in the salt.

Tommy is right, of course — his method should work also.

In the meantime, I have a package of (2) DQ 331's ready to post tomorrow morning — which is a trade for the Penn Spinners you sent me.  I'll slice open the package — and send you a new bail, tungsten-carbon line guide, a lock washer, and an acorn nut.

Then you can report on the progress getting the line guide off the old bail later — and have a back-up.  In the meantime, you will have a new bail assembly with no burrs — or chance of cutting your line.

N/C.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

Quote from: foakes on August 19, 2021, 04:09:41 AM
Hi Andrew —

I use a jar filled with straight Lacquer Thinner — with the ultrasonic cleaner.

No heat — 16 minutes — let it stay in the lacquer thinner overnight — then hit it again for 16 minutes in the morning.

Should come right off.

These often times become rusted if not serviced or if used in the salt.

Tommy is right, of course — his method should work also.

In the meantime, I have a package of (2) DQ 331's ready to post tomorrow morning — which is a trade for the Penn Spinners you sent me.  I'll slice open the package — and send you a new bail, tungsten-carbon line guide, a lock washer, and an acorn nut.

Then you can report on the progress getting the line guide off the old bail later — and have a back-up.  In the meantime, you will have a new bail assembly with no burrs — or chance of cutting your line.

N/C.

Best, Fred

Fred,
You are a life-saver! I've got the old one soaking in penetrating oil, still won't budge (tried wrapping in leather then gripping with pliers). I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, if more penetrating oil doesn't work then will give it a nudge with some heat and see if that works.

This is off the same reel on page 6 of this thread that had the spool stuck on, with a completely rusted out spool shaft. Has had a hard life in the salt for certain!

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

The new 221 bail parts are already on their way to Australia, Andrew —

Along with a couple of DQ 331's and a surprise extra reel I think you may enjoy fishing.

Went out day before yesterday (Thursday).  Let me know when it arrives safely — kind of a large box.

I have tracking — but think that only works until it passes the edges of the US border — then tracking goes black.

Best Regards, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

Quote from: foakes on August 21, 2021, 03:05:35 PM
The new 221 bail parts are already on their way to Australia, Andrew —

Along with a couple of DQ 331's and a surprise extra reel I think you may enjoy fishing.

Went out day before yesterday (Thursday).  Let me know when it arrives safely — kind of a large box.

I have tracking — but think that only works until it passes the edges of the US border — then tracking goes black.

Best Regards, Fred

Oooh a mystery reel, that is exciting! Thank you again Fred, you are a great help to a lot of people in the fishing community!

Regarding the tracking number, would you mind PM'ing it through? I think last time you sent something I was able to track it on my side through Australia Post.

Cheers,
Andrew