Penn 9/0 115L drag upgrades

Started by TreyGTR, January 02, 2015, 11:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on January 03, 2015, 06:02:35 PM

fourth, if, and only if, you round off the top of the gear sleeve, think about replacing the gear sleeve and dog with stainless steel.    

The gearsleeve is always the first thing I replace.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shiftee

Quote from: Keta on January 07, 2015, 04:49:33 PM
Quote from: alantani on January 03, 2015, 06:02:35 PM

fourth, if, and only if, you round off the top of the gear sleeve, think about replacing the gear sleeve and dog with stainless steel.    

The gearsleeve is always the first thing I replace.

Now now, it's not helpful to the students when the professors don't agree.  ;D
I just put in an order with scott's

14-114 Spring, Dog Spring (114HLW)
8-115 Spring, Tension Spring (Thick) (Belleville) (114HLW)
8-114 Spring, Tension Spring (Belleville) (114HLW)
6-114HSP Kit, Drag Washers, Drag Washer Kit HT-100� with Metals (10 pcs) (114HLW)
18-114H Spring Disc (114HLW)
15-114HSS Dog, Stainless Steel (Custom) (114HLW)
12-114SS   12-114SS Yoke, Pinion Yoke (Stainless Steel, CUSTOM) (114HLW)

plus the main gear and pinion from Pro Challenger. I was going to order the sleeve but after considering the condition of the stock sleeve I skipped upgrading it to stainless to save $32. I did start thinking about it and wonder if stainless dogs on a brass gear sleeve will be an issue? So what's the consensus?  Stainless gear sleeve upgrade or save the money and burn the stock one up first?

Bryan Young

Personally, if you are going to stay with the brass gear sleeve, I would stick with the brass dog.  The combination will last longer together because SS is much harder than brass, the SS dog will damage the brass gear sleeve prematurely.  I have seen this on several 113H reels...and would presume that it would be the same result for the 115L.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Cole,
Every Professor has his own way of teaching the class. ;D
I look at it like this. You went all out on parts to hot rod your reel. After all that investment, I would be pretty upset if the brass sleeve rounded off reeling in a big one! Its just the way I roll. All or nothing. ;)
Life is Good!

TreyGTR

What line setups do y'all perfer? Braid to mono? Mono all the way? I was thinking 500 yards of hollow braid spliced with mono. Not sure on the line strength. Any preferences?

fIsHsTiiCkS

I'll remain silent, as I will just have you spending more money shiftee ;D

ChileRelleno

Trey you've received some great advice so far.
Even the most basic mods with greased HT-100s and SS gear, yoke & dog and an over sized crank, will really make a world of difference.

8' Scalloped Hammer on a 6/0

11.5' Great Hammer on a 12/0

Daron,
give me plenty of notice when you decide to schedule a sharking trip to CSB.
If you want to split a beach house or something I'd be in for that, better than a hotel for 3-4 days.
But I need time to adjust the budget & save some dollars.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

If I Do CSB this year. It will be for a full two weeks with all the family. Not sure if I can swing it yet.
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 08, 2015, 02:35:04 AM
If I Do CSB this year. It will be for a full two weeks with all the family. Not sure if I can swing it yet.
Hit that SOB over the outfield wall & go to CSB.
I've heard great things about it & want to myself too.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

:D I'm probably talking a Four Grand Trip.
We can still hit Pensacola in the fall. You know that's where the Monsters Live! ;)
Life is Good!

TreyGTR

I've been to CSB a few times. It's really nice there and great fishing. Going again in early June but staying at Indian Pass about 10 min from there. If anyone makes it down there this year check out Indian Pass for shark fishing.

Recoil Rob

Lazarus Thread!
Reviving this for some info.

Back in 1990 I purchased a new 9/0 to do some standup tuna fishing. I loaded the stock reel with some 80#, put it on a Pen Slammer rod and had a great time on 4 separate trips through 1992. Since then the setup has been sitting in the rafters.

I'll be using it this summer again so I pulled it down from the rafters and I did a good job of "winterizing" no corrosion , drag still works, etc. I'm going to go the cheap route here and give a a cleaning and greasing,  but would a reel purchased in 1990 have carbon fibers in it already or should I get the 5 stack of HT-100 #6-114 drag washer to go under the main gear Alan recommended to be ready? If it already has CF washers will it be a 5 with the 6-114 or will that still need to be installed?

thanks,

Rob
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

6-114 washers are to small. You need 6-115 (5) washers. You probably have the old style asbestos washers (3) in there unless someone changed them. Open it up before you order the parts. If you have the old style setup you will also need one more eared and one more keyed washer, or just order the full set of CF and metals (6-114HSP).     Rudy

Recoil Rob

OK, now I'm confused.

Alan wrote "second, and while you have it apart, make sure you have carbon fiber drags.  if not, order a set and also get a #6-114 drag washer to go under the main gear,  before installing the drag washers, add a light coat of cal's grease to the drags and put your reel back together."

Then you wrote "6-114 washers are to small. You need 6-115 (5) washers"

Then you wrote "just order the full set of CF and metals (6-114HSP)"

So which is it 6-114 or 6-115 I need?
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn