Penn 9/0 115L drag upgrades

Started by TreyGTR, January 02, 2015, 11:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I know it's a bit confusing. The under gear washer is a 114, the 5 CF drag washers are the same as a 114H but on Mystics parts list they are listed as 6-115. On Mystics parts list the full set of fibers & metals is listed as 114HSP. A 114 is different then a 114h, one is a Senator & one is a Special Senator. The 114H & the 115 use the same drag stack because they use the same main gear. The 114 uses a smaller main gear so one of it's drag washers can be used as an under gear washer for the 114H or 115 or you can use a 4-114H hard fiber washer. So open it up and see what you have. If the drag washers are thick & there are only 3 of them then you have asbestos brakes which are run dry and which aren't to good for your health. CF drags are coated with a thin layer of Cals Drag Grease. 

Recoil Rob

OK, that makes sense, thanks. I'll report back after surgery...
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

Recoil Rob

OK, I opened her up and there are 5 carbon fiber washers with all the steel ones in between, so I'm just going to grease them with Cal's and go.

I don't think the main gear will come out the sideplate hole so can I assume the fiber washer under the main gear cannot be accessed without taking off the sideplate?

thanks, Rob
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

I hope that you are a least taking out the 8 sideplate screwsw so you can at least see if the insides need some grease. And then you can pull the spool out & grease the left plate insides. Also remove & grease the left plate screws.    Rudy

Recoil Rob

Will do later tonight.

BTW, after greasing the CF washers with Cal's is it normal for low end drag to increase? Seems like I have 20-25 lbs with the star backed all the way off.
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

No, if everything is assembled correctly you might have a couple of lbs. of drag at most. Do you have that stepped washer with the felt in there.  I get rid of them and set the top hat right on the last keyed washer. If you need more height on the top hat you can add an extra thin keyed washer to the top of the stack. Also I don't use a thin belleville washer between the star & handle.

Recoil Rob

On top of the last CF washer are 2 steel washers keyed to the shaft. Then the felt washer, the 2 piece top hat assembly (flanged washer and sleeve) then a very thick bent washer (not a belleville, more like a washer that was bent over a rod), star, belleville and handle.
   - Errol Flynn

Recoil Rob

Here's what I have before the star/belleville handle...see attached. First pic is two steel on top of last CF, then felt and then the top hat/curved washer assembly.
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

The top hat looks like it is sitting to high. Try removing the extra top keyed washer that should lower your initial drag setting. If that's not enough then remove the wavy washer from between the star & handle.

RowdyW

Wait a minute it looks like the felt washer & it's stepped metal washer is sticking out of the plate. The felt washer is supposed to slip over the flange of the stepped washer it goes with. Turn the stepped washer over then the spacer, then the wavy washer, then the star. If you are using that felt washer & stepped washer they are supposed to be down inside the plate & not showing above it, just flush.

Recoil Rob

Of course you are correct! I put the felt washer and stepped washer together correctly and all is well. While I was at it I took the sideplate off to see what it looked like and, while not too bad, it was 29 year old grease so I stripped everything down, threw the big parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, coated everything in blue grease and put it back together. Feels good, except for the blue under my nails.

Thanks very much for your help, greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Rob
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

I'm glad it finally all worked out. Now give that reel a real workout & send us some photos of what you catch.         Rudy

Recoil Rob

Maybe not so fast, This has been bothering me so I made some drawings, take a look and tell me what you think??

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28495.0
   - Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

I replace that top washer with the felt on all my 9/0's with a top hat washer from the 114h.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Recoil Rob

What exactly is a top hat washer? Got a picture of one?
   - Errol Flynn