30# ProGear 280/psw809h - bait
40# Daiwa Lexa 400/psw809h - Poppers, stick baits and Megabaits
40# Avet JX 6/3/Seeker 6470 - bait, Yoyo, flat fall jigs
40# Daiwa salt40II/psw760h - bait
40# Shimano Torium 20/psw809xhj - Surface iron
50# Avet JX Raptor/psw700xh - Yoyo and bait for wahoo
50# Avet HX Raptor/phd700x2h - Yoyo and bombs
60-80# Okuma Makaira 16Sea/phd7003xh - never used

On my trip I used 30# the most for bait, YFT weren't that big last year.

Something wrong here, I don't see the word Penn anywhere. :D Dominick

I have been thinking of adding a couple of the new Fathom leverdrags to the lineup... The 25n and 40n.

I use a Penn 525 Mag for 20# and have GS535 and GS545 as backups for 25# and 30# and a YTS for 40#.  The 525 has a Torque handle and the other two GS's have Daiwa SL handles.  The YTS is pretty much max'd out. They didn't make the cut. If I needed another 25# I'd have gone with a Torium 16 and a PG545 for 30#. The Penn 525 mag is my favorite for 20# backed up by an Avet SX and a couple of ProGears (255 & 501). No call for 20# rigs on a 10 day.

There were no 501's on the boat.  There might've been a 4/0 or 6/0 but they probably stayed in the rack.  There were a couple of 113hn in play as well as Fathom and Torque 25n 2-spd.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

No Newells either on the list. I take Newells and Penns on every trip and they get along quite well together and never get into a fight except with fish. ;D

MarkT

There might have been a 533 on board for Wahoo.  I traded my G220, 229 and 332 for nib ProGear 255, 251 and 545. I figure I came out on top.

Most reels on board were Avets and Shimano Talicas and Trinidad. Plenty of Okumas fo the heavier rigs.

Jon Vadney

To the comments about using a penn 4/0 or Newell or penn 501 or whatever else, I say this: if you hooked a fish at the upper echelon of the grade you would target with that particular line class (80# or 90# YFT on 40, 50#bft on 30#, etc) would you feel more comfortable with the reels listed above or with a small, tricked out 2speed?  Ask yourself that question and let the answer guide you to what reels you choose. 

MarkT

When I caught the BFT in my avatar last spring, there were people hooked up on single speed reels. Most didn't land the fish.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: MarkT on January 05, 2015, 03:11:21 AM
When I caught the BFT in my avatar last spring, there were people hooked up on single speed reels. Most didn't land the fish.

When it comes to single vs 2 speed. The advantage of the 2 speed is the ability to switch from high to low gear. Low gear being the one that helps get the fish in and high if that cow guns it for the boat. I usually run a 4:1 on my bait reels and find it a SOLID balance between high/low gears. Haven't lost one from not feeling like I had enough power.

I know all of you know everything I just said but I'm saying that cuz if they were losing those fish on single speeds, then I would have to say they weren't using proper single speeds for that kind of fishing. With that said I'm looking into the Fathom 25n, 40n and some avets as I do think anything about 50# should have a 2 speed.

As always just my 2 cents  ;D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on January 05, 2015, 12:01:49 AM
she's going to tell you to get a new hobby.  don't be surprised when you get a set of knitting needles for you birthday!

Hahaha oh Alan the "needing a new hobby" conversation has just started to begin  :-\ ;)

Jon Vadney

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 05, 2015, 05:23:30 AM
Quote from: MarkT on January 05, 2015, 03:11:21 AM

When it comes to single vs 2 speed. The advantage of the 2 speed is the ability to switch from high to low gear. Low gear being the one that helps get the fish in and high if that cow guns it for the boat. I usually run a 4:1 on my bait reels and find it a SOLID balance between high/low gears. Haven't lost one from not feeling like I had enough power.

I know all of you know everything I just said but I'm saying that cuz if they were losing those fish on single speeds, then I would have to say they weren't using proper single speeds for that kind of fishing. With that said I'm looking into the Fathom 25n, 40n and some avets as I do think anything about 50# should have a 2 speed.

As always just my 2 cents  ;D

It has more to do with having the strength at the end of the battle to still be "on your game" and not overly fatigued.  Additionally, with low gear, you can just lay the rod on the rail and grind the fish in without having to pump (waste energy).  It's not that the 2 speed lands the fish for you, it's just that it allows you to gain line at the beginning of the fight easily and grind when the fish is vertical.  40# bait and up, 2speed all the way for me. 

fIsHsTiiCkS

Gotta hit those free weight every once in a while, won't be so tired ;). Just kidding man. Completely understand! Guess I got to use to the pump method! Definitely love me some 2 speeds though

Alto Mare

Technology moves on and the two speed is a great design, I've seen it myself, but I don't believe that a 2" spool with two speed is better than a 6" spool, able to retrieving over 40" per crank when fighting monsters  :-\.
Not arguing or disagreeing, just mentioning that a single speed has caught fish in the past, more than today. We just need to eat our wheaties  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 05, 2015, 05:54:31 AM
Gotta hit those free weight every once in a while, won't be so tired ;). Just kidding man. Completely understand! Guess I got to use to the pump method! Definitely love me some 2 speeds though

I dont like to lift weights.  They're heavy.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2015, 05:59:41 AM
Technology moves on and the two speed is a great design, I've seen it myself, but I don't believe that a 2" spool with two speed is better than a 6" spool, able to retrieving over 40" per crank when fighting monsters  :-\.
Not arguing or disagreeing, just mentioning that a single speed has caught fish in the past, more than today. We just need to eat our wheaties  ;D.
Haha, For fun, I'd be willing to bet that over the years more fish >100# have been landed on multi-speed reels than on single speed (speaking strictly to rod and reel angling).  Think about the major sport-fishing ports where they are routinely landing fish over 100 pounds....they have been using 2 speeds since the late 60's early 70's at least.  I'll agree that more fish have been landed on single speeds (by a longshot....not even close.....not in the same league....not even the same f***ing sport [pulp fiction quote]), but I believe that there have been more trophy saltwater fish landed on 2 speeds than single.  

But to speak directly to what you're saying, you'd rather fight a 130# bluefin tuna on a single speed 4/0 with 40# line than a Makaira 10 with 40#?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Jon Vadney on January 05, 2015, 08:04:06 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 05, 2015, 05:54:31 AM

I dont like to lift weights.  They're heavy.

Haha well said  :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jon Vadney on January 05, 2015, 08:11:18 AM

But to speak directly to what you're saying, you'd rather fight a 130# bluefin tuna on a single speed 4/0 with 40# line than a Makaira 10 with 40#?

No, not at all. A two speed is an excellent design.
To me, it would be nice to bring in a fish over 1,000 lbs one day while holding a 14/0, that would make it for me. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2015, 09:52:03 AM
Quote from: Jon Vadney on January 05, 2015, 08:11:18 AM

No, not at all. A two speed is an excellent design.
To me, it would be nice to bring in a fish over 1,000 lbs one day while holding a 14/0, that would make it for me. ;D

If you ever decide to take on that challenge, seriously, I will build you a rod for it free of charge and go with you to watch you do it.