Quantum Cabo 100 and 120

Started by Tailin strange, January 06, 2015, 06:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tailin strange

Has anyone had the chance to use these yet? What's your take on them so far? Looking to get 2 100s based on Alan's review of the Lethal 100. Should be an even better version of that. Debating on those or 2 20k saragosa SWs. What's the weight of the cabo 100s and 120s? I haven't been able to find that info.
Thanks

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tailin strange on January 06, 2015, 06:59:12 PM
Has anyone had the chance to use these yet? What's your take on them so far? Looking to get 2 100s based on Alan's review of the Lethal 100. Should be an even better version of that. Debating on those or 2 20k saragosa SWs. What's the weight of the cabo 100s and 120s? I haven't been able to find that info.
Thanks

Look at Alan's review of the Cabo. It is not an "even better version" but is a decent reel in it's own right.

It is impossible to make any kind of a recommendation unless we know your intended use for such large spinning reels. If you can share we would be glad to help as best we can. :)

Tailin strange

Alan doesn't have a review of the cabo 100 or 120. Completely different reel than the cabo 80 that he reviewed. Quantum is owned by zebeo and so it Finnor. The Finnor got a really high score and the cabo is supposed to be an even better version of the lethal. I would be using them for vertical jigging deep for grouper, snapper and tile fish. 400-600ft

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tailin strange on January 07, 2015, 12:54:19 AM
Alan doesn't have a review of the cabo 100 or 120. Completely different reel than the cabo 80 that he reviewed. Quantum is owned by zebeo and so it Finnor. The Finnor got a really high score and the cabo is supposed to be an even better version of the lethal. I would be using them for vertical jigging deep for grouper, snapper and tile fish. 400-600ft

Ah gotcha, yea they look decent.

I am a huge spinner fan for what they do well. I look forward to seeing how the bigger Cabos perform but would use 2 speed conventional reels for 600 feet every time. :)

Three se7ens

From Alan Hawks review of the saragosa, and reading between the lines(cabo 80 and lethal 100), Im betting the cabo will be a far more capable reel. 

Tailin strange

I prefer conventionals as well but some of the people I fish with prefer spinning. Those reels have a fairly slow gear ratio so it makes jigging deep manageable. Hoping the cabo is an even better version of the lethal. Hopefully they didn't over engineer it though and make it worse, which is always a possibility. Anyone know when Alan is getting his hands on them?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tailin strange on January 07, 2015, 03:01:35 AM
I prefer conventionals as well but some of the people I fish with prefer spinning. Those reels have a fairly slow gear ratio so it makes jigging deep manageable. Hoping the cabo is an even better version of the lethal. Hopefully they didn't over engineer it though and make it worse, which is always a possibility. Anyone know when Alan is getting his hands on them?

Hard to say. Reading the Alan Hawk tea leaves he just follows his bliss and if he thinks the bigger Cabos are worth sharing (and different enough from the review he's done already) he may give them a look or just throw them in the "lists" without further detail.

Porthos

Just finished reading Alan Hawk's review of the Quantum Cabo 100/120, and it ended up 1 point above the Fin Nor LT100.

Three se7ens

Im a little suprised it didnt score higher, but its still a quite capable reel.  Certainly a world class spinning reel, and Im still seriously thinking about getting one to go along with my Lethal 100.

Porthos

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 07, 2015, 11:23:49 PM
Im a little suprised it didnt score higher, but its still a quite capable reel.  Certainly a world class spinning reel, and Im still seriously thinking about getting one to go along with my Lethal 100.

If one already has a LT100, will the Cabo 100 offer that much more performance to justify the increase in cost? Possibly to the "right" person.

The Cabo 120's with their increased capacity and higher max drag would be a logic addition, IMHO.

If one does NOT have a LT100, then a matching set of a Cabo 100 and 120 makes good sense.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Porthos on March 07, 2015, 11:42:57 PM
Quote from: Three se7ens on March 07, 2015, 11:23:49 PM

If one already has a LT100, will the Cabo 100 offer that much more performance to justify the increase in cost? Possibly to the "right" person.

The Cabo 120's with their increased capacity and higher max drag would be a logic addition, IMHO.

If one does NOT have a LT100, then a matching set of a Cabo 100 and 120 makes good sense.

That would be what I would go with! When comparing reels price point has to be taken into consideration. The Cabo is almost 3x more.

Porthos

Alan Hawk posted on 08/09/2018 that the PTSE 100 and 120 are being discontinued.

Do I want to drop ~$500 total for one of each while they are still available? Hmm...

Shark Hunter

I knew that it would be coming. I have three of each.
I sent you a pm Wai.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I'm taking it to Florida 30 days from now.
Life is Good!

Wally15

Quote from: Porthos on August 12, 2018, 06:05:47 PM
Alan Hawk posted on 08/09/2018 that the PTSE 100 and 120 are being discontinued.

Do I want to drop ~$500 total for one of each while they are still available? Hmm...
Wai, I have a NIB PTSE 100 that I no longer plan to use. It's available if Daron wants to hang on to his.
Mike Pate
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor