Quantum Cabo 100 and 120

Started by Tailin strange, January 06, 2015, 06:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: Wally15 on August 12, 2018, 06:56:50 PM
Wai, I have a NIB PTSE 100 that I no longer plan to use. It's available if Daron wants to hang on to his.
Mike Pate

Mike,

Ah...temptation, temptation, temptation...what's your asking price?

Wai

Pierce

Before they run out, I plan to grab a Cabo PTSe 120.  Hope the parts will still be around for 3-4 years then I can retire the reel lol.......

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Pierce

Is the 120 PTSE same as Rhino Black Cat Extreme 4105?

Porthos

Externally, it matches the Fin Nor OF9500a: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/ofs16.html

Internally, can't tell until it's opened up.

IMHO, here are the four options in descending order of preference:

• If it's the Quantum Cabo 120 you really want, then chase one down on eBay. If you are patient, you can score a new one for under $200.
  • The next step down is the Quantum Boca 120. Alan Hawk rates it 7 points lower than the Cabo 100/120 (when it was on the same listing). From the schematics, the spool shaft is the same part # of the Cabo
  • Fin Nor 9500 OFS9500
  • Fin Nor 9500a OFS9500a

The Black Cat? Who supplies spare parts for it?

Pierce

I understand that, but unfortunately I don't live in US so 90% of Cabo in e-bay don't ship to my country and 10% who do,  charge a huge amount for shipping cost.

I do want a Cabo 120 PTSE but can't seem to get my hand on one before they totally gone (discontinue).  So finally found one site in Europe who do ship to my country with minimal cost, they have all three reels (Cabo120PTSE, Fin Nor Offshore 10500 & Black Cat Extreme ).  Parts wise I hope can be source from Zebco Europe.

Porthos,
You are right, internally no one know if Black Cat Extreme is the same as Fin Nor Offshore.

I am after a reel for surf, casting distance not important, only need power and line capacity that why I only consider these three reels.

CapeFish

Why not look at other knowns e.g. the Daiwa BG or Shimano Spheros or Saragossa? The BG is well priced and a strong reel

Pierce

No doubt that all BG, Spheros and Saragosa are all value for money reels (owned a Spheros 20,000 few year back, weight wise almost the same as my mention reels).

But for me, drag power & line capacity are both categories I am mostly looking into which BG, SPH & Gosa lacking.  That why I lean towards the others in the market.  In Alan's review, both Cabo & Fin Nor Offshore score high in drag power and line capacity.

Porthos

The Fin Nor OFS9500a is available on www.amazon.de.

https://www.amazon.de/Fin-Nor-OFS6500A-BX3-Parent-Offshore-Spinning/dp/B01LY7YAJB/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=fin%2Bnor%2Bofs9500&qid=1553699246&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0&th=1&psc=1

Looks to be 10 EUR less than the Black Cat 4105 (when buying either from Amazon).

The handle side plate of the OFS9500a appears "easy" to remove according to Alan Hawk. If the Black Cat is the same reel then do the same and you can compare to Alan Hawk's photos.

Better yet, take photos of the Black Cat and share here!

Shark Hunter

I have Several Cabo's 100 and 120's as well as the Boca's.
The Cabo puts out 60lbs of drag. Externally, they look very Different.
Life is Good!

Porthos

Daron,

When did you start picking up the Boca's (assuming the 100's and 120's)?

How do they compare to the Cabo's? I'm assuming you picked up on when rearranging "cabo," you get "boca"; unsure if that's Quantum's intention...

Wai

Shark Hunter

I haven't torn into one, but I will soon. Other than color, they look and feel like the same reel at $100 less. ;)
Life is Good!

Pierce

Shark Hunter,

Cat look same as Offshore, not Cabo or Boca.

Porthos

Brunei...now it makes more sense. When you mentioned "Europe," thought it may have been not-in-the-EU.