A Winter Project

Started by Penn Chronology, January 09, 2015, 03:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

That's a fantastic reel Mike...I'd never sell it either.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat's a fantastic reel Mike...I'd never sell it either.  Cool---Stellar, Mike!

Thanks Guys. It was fun to revisit, I did not realize so much time had past since we did this together. So much has changed. This is a great place.

Ron Jones

That is quite the reel.
With all that drag, there aren't many fish that can be caught with stand up gear that you couldn't handle with that thing.
Well done.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat is quite the reel.
With all that drag, there aren't many fish that can be caught with stand up gear that you couldn't handle with that thing.
Well done.
The Man

I did a test with it today. The weakest link is me. 50 pound class tackle and a forty pound weight.

Maxed Out

Nice job on the tank Mike. Those custom inserts from Adam are unbeatable.

You should also test it with the spool 3/4 full, which would better replicate real life scenario. An almost empty spool will always give higher drag #'s.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Right there is the photo of the month...great shot Mike!! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteNice job on the tank Mike. Those custom inserts from Adam are unbeatable.

You should also test it with the spool 3/4 full, which would better replicate real life scenario. An almost empty spool will always give higher drag #'s.
Agreed, but I felt this was good enough since the reel is goiing to be a shelf queen. I just needed to know it was strong and it is. Stronger than me.

QuoteRight there is the photo of the month...great shot Mike!! Cool

The final photo was my last ditch pull. The weight won but the reel and line held.

Gfish

Coooool!
Both photos are great, but I give an edge to the 1st one, with your mouth open.
I have an Accurate Jigmaster Magnum(113H guts/spool shafts). I retired it for 2 reasons even though it's a bit beat-up: A classic reel that isn't that common. And, I found-out from Ted that there are Pro Gear Jigmaster size reels with 113H guts and a better engineered gear-side plate to frame fit/attachment.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have an Accurate Jigmaster Magnum(113H guts/spool shafts). I retired it for 2 reasons even though it's a bit beat-up: A classic reel that isn't that common. And, I found-out from Ted that there are Pro Gear Jigmaster size reels with 113H guts and a better engineered gear-side plate to frame fit/attachment.

The new updated reels on today's markets have left me in the dust. It seems that improvements happen faster than you can build a reel.