Beauty of Simplicity

Started by Newell Nut, January 09, 2015, 07:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Had a neat request for a black on black rod and I suggested a shark tooth to make it a little more interesting and it really turned out better than expected. I like it for all of my personal rods in the future.
Couldn't help but think of Daron through out the process of inlaying the shark tooth.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Tightlines667

Clean, crisp, and classy.  That rod turned out great Dwight.  Good job.  That shark tooth inlay is pretty cool.  What kind of shark is it?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

I bought 100 shark teeth off ebay from a guy in Hawaii and he listed a bunch of different shark species in the lot. I just picked what fit right. About 25 good candidates from the bag. Some of the teeth don't lay flat enough and it would take too many coats of epoxy to smooth out the finish. I keep coating until the surface is completely round and smooth. This one only took 3 applications.

Alto Mare

That looks cool Dwight, next time get your own teeth big guy ;) ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Sal

I have a beautiful reel to go and get my own teeth but I don't have the time. This rod business is getting out of control. I hired a helper and tried to get one guy to email Jon Vadney a couple days ago and he said he would wait for me to catch up.

Swamped :-\

BMITCH

Nice work Dwight. Really beautiful rod.
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

One at a time Dwight, it will get done. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Dwight, that rod is a real beauty.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Solid Work Dwight! Glad it reminds you of me! ;)
Life is Good!

redsetta

Quote...that rod is a real beauty
100% - some proper work there!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Newell Nut

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive comments.

Jon Vadney

I would fish the hell out of that.  Great job man.

Jon Vadney

Also Dwight, an easy way I would think to do an epoxy ramp with a tooth inlay like that would be to take some rod bond, mix in a TON of black powder pigment, make your epoxy ramp, and then ever-so-gently, press the tooth into the rod bond.  Once it sets up, it should only take one coat of finish over it to make it smooth since the tooth is depressed into the rod bond. 

This is pure hypothesis and may, or may not work.  Just throwing ideas at the wall to see if they stick (generally my ideas perform similar to the act of kicking water uphill, so....yeah haha).

Newell Nut

Thanks Jon, I appreciate the at a boy and the tips. I will have to experiment with your idea. A blessing in a way is the 100 rod rebuild order that I keep chipping away at for the party boat. I have a free reign as long as I maintain the boat color scheme on the blanks and they are all marbled and as you know every one is slightly different. The blessing is that I can't really mess one up so I can experiment with stuff.
As you may have noticed my style is quite different from yours. I don't have the patience for those pretty weaves so I will try to send those customers to you.