Penn 112h double dog bridges

Started by jigmaster501, January 11, 2015, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Black Pearl on August 11, 2018, 06:58:30 PM
I might just make the sideplates for 112H. We shall see....

Alan: What is the time frame that your looking at for this to go into reduction?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 11, 2018, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Black Pearl on August 11, 2018, 06:58:30 PM
I might just make the sideplates for 112H. We shall see....

Alan: What is the time frame that your looking at for this to go into reduction?

I will need both side rings and left sideplate.
Then, I will check with my guy on that.

mikeysm

Use the original dog on one side and just have one on the bridge. Allot less to modify in the end.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on August 12, 2018, 12:12:37 AM
Use the original dog on one side and just have one on the bridge. Allot less to modify in the end.

Mike

You could, but it would be a heck of a lot more work installing the bridge. Having the dogs pre-set on the bridge is always a better option, instead of having them lose.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 12, 2018, 02:53:14 AM
Quote from: mikeysm on August 12, 2018, 12:12:37 AM

Mike

You could, but it would be a heck of a lot more work installing the bridge. Having the dogs pre-set on the bridge is always a better option, instead of having them lose.

Agreed!..........................joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mikeysm

If you have one dog to deal with you can move it out of the way so no extra work needed. If people have to modify their plates they won't use it.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on August 12, 2018, 01:59:09 PM
If you have one dog to deal with you can move it out of the way so no extra work needed. If people have to modify their plates they won't use it.

Mike
If that the case , why even bother then, they could just get a ss sleeve and a ss dog from Lee and call it a day.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Is there any examples of a broken ss dog or bridge in a 112h?? Not worn out but broken. A 112h will probably take twice the amount of drag available & still not break. The way I see it the double dogs just decrease the backlash in the handle if set them up to alternate. JMO

Reel 224

Double dog bridge is one of the things we can do to the 112H so we can. If for any reason someone doesn't want to do that then he or she just passes.

Joe

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on August 12, 2018, 02:56:15 PM
Is there any examples of a broken ss dog or bridge in a 112h?? Not worn out but broken. A 112h will probably take twice the amount of drag available & still not break. The way I see it the double dogs just decrease the backlash in the handle if set them up to alternate. JMO
Yes you are correct on the backlash, but it is also good to have the second dog for backup and strength, especially with the upgraded gears and drag washers available to us today, that produce way more drag.
Seven years ago this guy had this idea to do this:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.msg19705#msg19705
I believe it was and is still a great idea, even better for larger reels.

I must not be the only one that believes so , because it spread like wild fire and still going strong today.

The good thing about this is that we have both options, so as  Joe just mentioned, it's out there for anyone to chose what they would like on their reels.
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I haven't noticed anyone twisting anyone's arm.

Sal

Gfish

Alternating dogs--better, with one as a back-up dog--better'er. You never know fer sure at my level of experience if the spring's gonna stay put on either of the dogs, once I've played with it.
Test failure's ok, but not failure out on the water. Have dremel, will modify, but could be a b____h, if you screw up your only plate.

Assembly of the reel and installation of double-dogs(on the bridge plate screws, not drop-in) is fun, but could be pretty frustrating if yer not used to Penn head-plate assembly.

Based mainly on what I've read here, I think single dogs in good working order should be enough anti-reverse.  A bakelite side-plate cracking 'cause a AR pressure pushin on the bridge-plate screw, anyone ever experience that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jigmaster501

Dan-J

farmer56

farmer 56 here  ....   i want  three   .....    pay  in  advance  pay  later  don't  care   ...   what  ever  you  want  to  do  ...  i  would  vote  for  alternating  dogs  ....   carving  side  plate  or  not   makes  no  diff.    .....   but  drop  in  is  nice ...  dennis

Black Pearl

This item is a go. You will need to take some meat off from inside of the right sideplate to make it works.

If you use Tom's new sideplate, please check with Tom on that. I know that Sal sent this 112H DD bridge to Tom to see if he can make it as a drop in with his 112H sideplate.

Since this item is not going to be stamped out, it is machine cutting. Therefore, the cost is much higher.

The cost is $54.99 each including shipping. Only 80 pieces will be available. The item will be ready in 50 days. I will require payment first on this item.

If you would like to order this, please send email to sales@prochallenger.com and let me know if the order will be shipped within FL because there is 7% sale tax will be added.