Discover Angling 2010-11-13 Kid's Fishing Day for the Bill Wilson Center

Started by Bryan Young, November 16, 2010, 06:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I was lucky to join the group from Discovering Angling.  The kids from the Bill Wilson Center are participating in a volunteer shelter program kids with great potential. 

The Marin Rod and Gun Club was graciously hosting the pier fishing event.  It's located on the San Francisco Bay with one of the longest private piers around (1/2 mile long).

We got lucky.  Was about 75 degrees with a light breeze in November.  T-shirt and shorts kind of weather for sure.

The crew final came and we unloaded the fishing rod outfits donated by our one and only Alan Tani.

Then we start setting up on th epier.

The kids show up and Mel gives a Pier orientation.

It was slow.

Then we got a couple of red rock crabs.  The kids were so happy to get the crabs, it started new excitement.

Then a couple of jack smelts

Then wham, hook up.  Line peeling out, rod handed off to the closest kid.

After a few minutes of battle, Bat Ray #1 on the deck.

A little lesson on these beautiful creatures, then back to the water for a swim.  Then lunch (while the bite was starting, but kids were getting hungery.  Burgers, dogs, and thanks to Mel's wife, Spam Musubis.  Yum, the best food while fishing.  During lunch, we had a chance to talk with the kids, and one kid said a phrase that will become Discover Angling's motto..."It wasn't as boring as we thought it would be."
After a short lunch, the kids wanted to get back to fishing (they are hooked), off we went.  Back on the pier.  We baited up the rods and back in the water.  About 15 minutes later, Hook up.  Line really peeling off for 30 seconds before the young lady picked up the rod. 

Line went sideways and got tangled on the pier.  Mel ran out while I was taking pictures to tell me that it's caught.

Should I say that that pier area was closed due to dry rot?  Yeah, two guys on the edge trying to untangle the line on the rotting pier.  I really though Mel was going in.  Mel got the line loose, and the young  lady continues the fight when we get the rod to a safe area.

Bat ray #2 is right under our feet.

And landed.

After another 30 minutes of fishing, the kids had to return, so we packed up and took some memories before the awards:

And here are the winners:
Third Place – Most improved caster

Second Place – 2nd largest bat ray

First Place – Largest Bat Ray

Take a kid fishing, it could change their life and outlook on life.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Alan,

Thank you for the donation of the rods, and prizes.  The kit for each kid was a great hit,and were surprised that there were prizes. 

Feedback from the kids was that they want to do it again.  Maybe a rock cod trip when season opens again.  Get them on some fish they can take home to the shelter and share with all other kids staying in the shelter.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D