custom stainless steel penn arms (updated january 2015)

Started by alantani, January 20, 2015, 02:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i have five penn arms cut in stainless steel.  the advantage is corrosion resistance.  the disadvantage is that these arms will bend.  going left to right - first, a copy of the two position 6/0 senator arm, second is a copy of the two position 4/0 senator arm, third is a copy of the old penn international 30 arm, fourth is a cop of the three position jigmaster power handle arm, and fifth is a two position jigmaster prototype arm made for the old accurate boss reels.  i have 300-500 arms in inventory at any given time.  they are all $10 each. bear in mind that the international arm will require a $3 handle nut collar and screw set that will be extra.  the hole for the handle grip on the international arm is 5/16ths of an inch and it fits my grips that have the counterbore (so now you know what that size came from!!!!)  all the rest of the arms have a hole for the grip that measures 3/16ths of an inch and will easily accommodate any number of other aftermarket grips (http://smoothdrag.com/handles.html).  

here is the 6/0 senator arm with a 5/0 grip, compared to the stock 6/0 power handle.  this handle arm fits on the black and red side plate 6/0's, as well as the 9/0 senator

here are the 4/0 senator arm and the international 30 arm, compared to the stock 4/0 power handle.  both stainless steel arms fit on a 4/0 113h senator gear sleeve.

and here is the jigmaster arm and accurate boss arm, compared to a jigmaster power handle.  

i would typically rig the 4/0 and 6/0 arms with my 5/0 delron grips, and set up the jigmaster/accurate arms with one of my 3/0 delron grips.  to order these, let me know what sizes/types of arms you want, grips if needed, the quantity, your shipping info and email address and i will ship them out with a paypal request.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

These will bend? Should they not be stronger than the stock brass over chrome handles

alantani

these will bend if you really bear down on them.  there are different grades of stainless.  the one we chose was compromise of corrosion resistance, hardness, cost and ease of machining.  you can see that the 6/0 arm is pretty thick, as is the international 30 arm.  if you use the short throw position for the jigmaster arm and fish it reasonably, you will never have a problem.  the two position 4/0 senator arm might be a problem in the long position under ALOT of pressure, otherwise it will be fine. 

crackerman

What grade stainless is it? They could possibly be heat treated to bring the hardness/ stiffness back up. (if I buy one in the near future, I will give it a shot with my garage methods)

I would be nice if that 4/0 arm was as thick as the 30. I have long arms and a long throw is more comfortable, plus leverage helps.
I was disturbed at how much flex a stock 4/0 power handle has when really cranking braid onto the reel. I noticed the diawa 400h handle is significantly thicker and has much less flex.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Heat treating involves hours at very high temperatures and a cool down rate.  I hear it's a science to heat treat metals.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on January 20, 2015, 02:36:13 PM
Heat treating SS is not easy.

I bet nothing will happen to those handles above, to me they're strong enough, except the one on the far right.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Ron Jones

Just so anyone who is interested knows, I have caught all kinds of fish, yellowtail to halibut, with the handle on the right with no problems. It is my favorite handle of all time and I am certain I will get more from Alan until he runs out. No better size for a 180/146/100.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 20, 2015, 04:45:54 PMBut some can easly get it done

Yup, I have the tools now (stole the wife's ceramics kiln) but no real interest.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

garking84

Three se7ens

Quote from: Keta on January 24, 2015, 07:25:18 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 20, 2015, 04:45:54 PMBut some can easly get it done

Yup, I have the tools now (stole the wife's ceramics kiln) but no real interest.

Don't forget that the 300 series stainless steels can't be heat treated.  They can only be work hardened.  The 400 series can be heat treated, as well as the precipitation hardening stainless steels like 17-4.

Alto Mare

I don't know much about steel, but learning quite a bit from you guys. Yes I do know about the 300 and 400 series, this information was also given here almost three years ago, at the time that Alan C. was offering custom parts.
All of Alan's heat treated parts are 400 series, he's source are determining if the 301 would be good enough for some other parts.
I like heat treated pats when available, jack and yokes on the Jigmasters have no flexing.
I would also rather have heat treated gears, pinion and main gear, I do not mind if the gears are a little noisier.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I too have learned that 300 series Stainless comes in different hardnesses as well.  I'm not sure how it compares with 400 Series or 17-4 or 18-8 or any others.  But this is what I have found, and some 300 series will probably function just fine for many of our applications for years.  Look how long many of the brass/bronze parts used in Penn Reels have lasted?

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D