Abu 5600 C4 HSC service question.

Started by Nicko_Cairns, January 20, 2015, 05:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko_Cairns

Hi guys,

I'm still new to servicing and I have two of these reels.

I've removed the side plate (the schematic on the Abu site just has numbers! not part names), part number 1117002 and there's a bearing inside, just wondering which way this bearing should come out? It seems pretty stuck.

Any upgrades I should do? I was going to put carbontex in the drag but it looks like it might already have them? Will see more closely in a minute when I remove the washers. Whiffle spool looks like a good idea, any others? Thanks.

Nicko_Cairns

Here's a picture of the side plate and bearing, also one of the bearings in the spool seems corroded and won't come out  the only thing I can think of is removing all the line from the spool then soaking in WD40 or bolt off or something? I've even tried pushing it from the other side of the spool...

Nicko_Cairns

Who doesn't love a photo of a corroded/stuck bearing!  :P

alantani

the anti-reverse bearing has to be carefully pressed out from a top/down direction.  the collar holding the ar bearing is peened in.  both the collar and the frame are easily damaged if not properly supported.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: alantani on January 20, 2015, 06:39:43 AM
the anti-reverse bearing has to be carefully pressed out from a top/down direction.  the collar holding the ar bearing is peened in.  both the collar and the frame are easily damaged if not properly supported.

Thank you Alan, can anyone help with advice for the spool bearing? Remove the line and soak on bolt off or similar perhaps?

mhc

Hi Nicko,
You don't need to remove the IAR bearing unless it is damaged/ slipping. If you are doing a general service there are a few ideas on flushing and coating with a light oil, reel-x, tsi321, etc in this post started by 'Pro Reel'

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10963.0

If it is damaged and needs replacing the following is link to a post started by 'slowly' that shows using sockets and a vice to remove and replace an IAR bearing.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1654.0

I don't have any tricks for the corroded spool bearing other than saturating with a penetrating oil as you have suggested then giving it a couple of sharp taps to try and break the 'seal'

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Nicko_Cairns

Thanks Michael, while trying to get the IAR bearing out, one of the rollers came out, so i hope they aren't expensive haha! Thank you for the links.

Lunker Larry

Might be a good idea to go through all the tutorials on this site and do a search to review some of the problems you might encounter and the processes and solutions the guys have come up with. Understanding how these things work is essential and makes your project a whole lot easier.
As Alan mentioned, you do not have to remove the ARB (aka clutch bearing) if there is no issue with it. If you've destroyed it, Mikes Reel Repair has them:  http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/reel-tuning-upgrades-misc-upgrades-c-47_51.html
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

the spool bearings will have to pounded out.  once you give it a whack, the bearing will likely be damaged and will have to be replaced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

For the spool bearing, I do something similar to http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1654.0 for the AR bearing.

I make sure the that spool is support with the smallest socket that will fit over the spool lip so the bearing, when whacked, fill fall though.  I used a punch that the OD is the same or close to the ID of the spool...then give it a whack or two and it usually comes right out after that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nicko_Cairns