custom stainless steel shimano arms (updated january 2015)

Started by alantani, January 20, 2015, 07:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the line of shimano graphite reels has long been a favorite of mine.  they are can also be among the most expensive to "upgrade."  in addition to the standard bearing service, the inside of the reel is totally dry and needs a light coat of grease.  all of the single speed reels need greased carbon fiber drag washers upgrades.  and most of all, the handles need to be replaced.   i have stainless steel arms for all of the graphite shimano reels, some of which will fit other shimano reels.  the larger arms are $10 each, the counterbalanced arms are $13 each.  these arms will resist corrosion but they will bend if badly torqued.  i normally put 5/0 grips on the tld 20/30II arms and the tld 20/25 arms.  the counterbalanced arms get the 3/0 grips.  here is what the full line up looks like. 

first up is the arm for the two speed tld 20/30.  as you see it, the cost would be $43 for the arm and 5/0 grip.  this will also fit the tld 50 II, but i generally recommended using the stock arm.  the hole size for the drive shaft is 9.35mm x 9.35mm and it accomodates a standard tld/tiagra shifter.  the hole for the handle grip is 5/16ths of an inch in diameter, so it will only accomodate my own counterbored spindle.  the overall length from the center of the drive shaft to the center of the spindle is 3.125 inches (almost 80mm).    it's twice the size of the old original stock tld 20/30II arm. 

second is the arm for the single speed tld 20/25.  as you see it, the cost would be $43 for the arm and 5/0 grip.  the hole for the drive shaft is 7.10mm x 7.10mm to accommodate a 7x7mm drive shaft stud.  the hole for the handle grip is also 5/16ths of an inch in diameter, so you are again stuck with one of my counterbored 5/0 grips.  the overall length from the center of the drive shaft to the center of the spindle is 2.875 inches (73mm).  what, maybe three times the size of the stock grip?

third up is the arm for the tld 5, 10 and 15, the star drag tld series and the charter specials.  as you see it, the cost would be $40 for the arm and 3/0 grip. this is a counterbalance, two position handle arm that allows for a 56mm or 65mm throw.  the hole for the drive shaft is 5mm x 8mm, meaning it will fit any of 8mm shimano drive shafts where the flats are ground down 5mm.  the outside dimensions are the same as the stock shimano arm.  the hole for the handle grip is 3/16ths of an inch in diameter so it will accommodate a large variety of custom grips, including the 3/0 grip that is shown. 

and last is the arm for the triton tr100 and tr200.  as you see it, the cost would be $40 for the arm and 3/0 grip.  it has the same inside and outside dimensions as the tld arm, but is thinner.  it will accomodate a 7.25mm drive shaft where the flats are ground down to 4mm.  the hole for the handle grip is 3/16ths of an inch in diameter so it will accommodate a large variety of custom grips, including the 3/0 grip that is shown. 

i would typically rig the tld 20/30II and 20/25 arms with my 5/0 delron grips, and set up the counterbalanced arms with one of my 3/0 delron grips.  to order these, let me know what sizes/types of arms you want, grips if needed, the quantity, your shipping info and email address and i will ship them out with a paypal request. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

QuoteHi Alan,
I would like to have one of your power handles installed on my Trinidad 30.  Would you give me information as to the cost of getting one installed?  Thanks Alan.

you have a choice between the 30 and the 5/0.  it depends on how hard you are going to lean on this reel.  i can send you a tld 15 arm and the grip of your choice, but you may as well keep the stock arm and drill out the old grip.  i do that alot.  if you are ok doing the drilling, i can ship the grip down to you.  just need an address.  if you want to ship the arm up to me, i can install it for free, takes me 3 minutes.  thanks!!!!  alan

Alto Mare

Alan, after testing  many reels, i'm noticing that the counterbalanced handles work best on smaller reels up to the Jigmasters. Could you make some of those that will fit the Jigmasters? I would like them to be 2" from the center of the handle screw to the edge, 4" overall.
Thanks! Sal....that's a very good price on those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

that likely could not happen for a very long time.  i'm sitting on way too much inventory right now.  once i start moving some of this stuff, it might be an option, but not now......   :-\

Alto Mare

And I thought I had some pull around here ::) :-\Then I realized I was just dreaming ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i wrote out $8k in checks in the last week to pay for parts orders.   :-\

Alto Mare

Alan, i was just playing around. I believe by now we all know that you don't do what you do for money, if you did and depended on it, we wouldn't be here.
I understand. Thanks for always being there for us.

Sal

alantani

gstours

Thanks alan for doing what you are doing,  we dont meen to complain.....But!  I have gotten some of your sst blanks and they are the best.  fery good finish,very goodtapped holes, very good accurate cutting , very good price,   Very good  and very good.    Your da best!!!!!! very good service too!!!!! your products are veryreasonable.......    and my talk is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gst.

Rjnelson1184

Which of these handles would work on the tld Star 20/40s? Thanks!

alantani

the tld 15 arm.  let me know if i can tempt you with one!

rjones

I am fixing up a garage sale speedmaster IV for my son, and am wondering which of these handles would be best suited.

Rob

alantani

the tld 5/10/15 handle assembly.  send a pm with your address if i can tempt you with one!

Frank

Hi Alan,

I will take a TLD 10 counterbalanced handle. I don't need one of the larger angled knobs. Something straight or round would be great if possible.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

alantani

both of my grips are larger and offset.  the hole for the handle grip is 3/16ths of an inch, so it will accommodate plenty of aftermarket grips!   i can send just the arm if you wish.  then all you need do is pick a grip.  smoothdrag.com has a bunch.  take a look there.  amazon has them as well!