Sealine 600h project: double dogs and more

Started by Three se7ens, January 26, 2015, 04:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MFB

Nice work, any plans to make a kit for the 900H? I would be keen on one.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

gstours

Thanks for the great pictures of your work.  A couple of years ago this type of thing was out of the question. No its a super good kit that any joe homeowner can install and have a upgraded reel at a low cost.  Keep up the good work.   Having access to those machines is priceless and there is no limit what you can do!    Just use your imagination!!!!!

Three se7ens

Progress has been a bit slow lately, but its coming together.  Insert kit is ready for testing, I just need to finish painting the frame. 

A few people have asked about the 900H/910, and I have kits for those in the works too, but its going to be a while on those.  Im having qc issues on the inserts, so I wont place a big order until its sorted.

Ill have a few 600H kits available in about a week.  I have all the parts, I just need to fit them and put together the kits. 

fIsHsTiiCkS

Any updates? I love watching the work you have done to this!

Tightlines667

This is a great thread!

Reading through it again makes me want to buy a 900H for the parts I have.

Thats the problem with this site, it makes me want to buy stuff I don't really need.  Kinda like collecting, it provides enjoyment if if you don't get to use all of your gear.  Clearly we have many fishermen on the site that actually use all their reels. 

More cost effective then a 9/0, and a solid reel.  I'd like to see a 900H or one of the larger senators after a year's heavy use catching big fish, just to see what wears.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

thorhammer

what are you going to paint with? I have a 400 that could use a little love; same old story, I pay attention to the Penns but i have a few daiwas and they really have strong features.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I would love to find a place that cerakotes. That would really bring the life back into these old daiwas and provide some nice color options.

Three se7ens

Cerakote was my initial plan, but its not available in the color I want.  I have an industrial epoxy I use on some of the other parts I make, and Ive been curious how well it would hold up to the abuse of salt water fishing.  So thats my plan now.  Its been hanging on my painting rack in the shop for a few weeks now waiting on paint, but Ive been too tied up with orders and work to do anything with it. 

Three se7ens

The topic of rounding off the gear sleeve where the handle attaches has come up multiple times, and I think Daiwa already has an excellent solution to this issue, which can be found in the Sealine 910 rockcod special.  The 910 has a longer brass gear sleeve, and a stainless insert(key #60 gear metal cap) with a much larger area for the handle to attach.  The stainless part threads onto the longer gear sleeve, and transmits the force of the handle to the the gear sleeve over a large area.  The 910 gear sleeve is a direct replacement for the 900H and 600H gear sleeves, although the set plate(bridge) is different between the 600h and 900H.  You will need the gear metal cap, handle screw, and the gear sleeve.  If you are buying new, you need to buy the whole set plate, since the gear sleeve isnt available separately.

The 910 gear sleeve is on the left, and the 600H on the right in my pics.

I have handles available for both the 600H/900H gear sleeve, and the 910 gear sleeve. 

http://www.daiwa.com/Documents/PartsDiagram/910.pdf

LTM

Thanx for the update Adam,

Since this 910 sleeve is longer; I take it that the handle sits out a little more. Can you tell me how much longer/farther will the handle stick out?

Thanx,

Leo

jonnou

I missed this thread. Im into it now though. I have been fishing hard (400-500m drops) with a 600h for over 12 months now.The gearing is just right for this and the drags are up to the task.I will be fishing this reel for many years. Also have a 900h. I have upgraded drags on both and was surprised that the max Drag on both 600 and 900 came up almost the same. I think the insert would help the 900h more IMHO

Three se7ens

Back together and nearly done.  Just need to get a knob and put some line on it.  Im planning on straight 60 lb mono.

Three se7ens

Im really liking the gloss black on this reel.

Alto Mare

That looks good Adam, did you paint that reel?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 03, 2015, 01:03:02 AM
That looks good Adam, did you paint that reel?

I did, but its not just any paint.  Its a high grade industrial epoxy thats tougher and harder than any powdercoat Ive seen.  I wanted to see how well it holds up relative to cerakote, which my pg545 will be getting.