Chonoligical History of Penn Reels---Book Sale

Started by Penn Chronology, January 26, 2015, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

If anyone is interested in purchasing my book about the first 25 years of Penn History, please just PM me. I will send you my address.

It is available from a few sources but I also want to make it available here, at the lowest price I can sell it at. Please PM me and I will send you my address. If you send a check or money order for $55.00, I will send a signed soft cover copy out anywhere in the continental United States.

I have ordered a number of copies to sell on my own. These will be coming directly from me. I will sign, date and / or personalize or inscribe whatever you may want on the first blank page of the book. If you like. Otherwise they will simply be signed and dated.

Please have patience if the PM is sent to me on the weekend. I am away from my computer on Saturday and Sunday.

Thank You

Tightlines667

I got mine for Christmas, and am enjoying it imensely.  Its one of those books I am readimg jyst a bit at a time, cause I don't want to be finished reading it yet.  An autographed copy would be great.  Almost makes me wish I would've waited.  Thank you for the wonderful work, and for making this available to members!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI got mine for Christmas, and am enjoying it imensely.  Its one of those books I am readimg jyst a bit at a time, cause I don't want to be finished reading it yet.  An autographed copy would be great.  Almost makes me wish I would've waited.  Thank you for the wonderful work, and for making this available to members!

PM me, I will send you my address, then you can send me the book I will sign and date it and / or inscribe it in any way you want and send it back to you.

If you put it in a bubble envelope and send it Media mail, it will only cost you $3.65 to mail it. I will mail it back at my cost.

Mike C.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteA must have for any Pennatic...Penn Fanatic.

PENNATIC :o :o :o!!!

What a great word!!

broadway

Thanks for making our books "special", Mike!
I just wanna say tell those who don't own this book yet that you won't find a more comprehensive book on Penn reels than this one, and should jump on this opportunity.
I have purchased a bunch of reels on Ebay recently that I would've normally passed up due to thinking it was a "Franken-reel."  You'll be able to better identify pre-war, one-offs, trade reels, and many other strange reels you would've never known existed. It's also come in very handy in dating (as best as possible) reels in my existing collection. I don't have a horse in this race and I've never communicated with Mike anywhere other than right here on AT.com, but I do know that we have a ton of "Pennatics" (that word is a keeper, Bry!) here and want you to know this book is a reel easy read for guys/gals like us.
I'm not looking for a pat on the back from Mike, I'm just calling it how I see it.
Enjoy,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm not looking for a pat on the back from Mike, I'm just calling it how I see it.

Well Dom, you may not be looking for a pat on the back from me, but, you have one anyway. Thank you very much for the great review.

Zimbass

You would be a true Pennatic if you mounted that book on a Plinth, Bryan  ;D
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

foakes

Got mine today --

Started to date some reels --

First was an old Anglsea, 250 yard, waffle clicker, great free spool after 77 years.

Appears to be 1938 or 1939.

This has what appears to be a resin or bakelite knob in black with tiny orange flecks.

This is going to be one of my most useful books ever from a historical/educational standpoint.

Thank you Mike!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis has what appears to be a resin or bakelite knob in black with tiny orange flecks.

Fred,

I believe that knob is made from Hard Rubber. There same type rubber that Bowling Balls used to be made from.

Glad you like the book.

Thanks for the kudos :)

foakes

No, Thank You, Mike --

When knowledge is shared, like you and Alan, and others here do so unselfishly -- everyone gains.

Throughout human history -- we will never know how much useful knowledge has been lost -- just because folks are unable or unwilling to share what they have learned.

We all have been given various talents.  And as we develop these skills and bits of knowledge -- we should find a way to mentor or teach others who have similar interests.

With your Chronological Penn Reel History book -- I feel like a Striper slashing through a school of Shad -- devouring every little tidbit of information.  This account, outlining the significance of Penn in the early years -- is fascinating.  Just something as mundane as the manufacturing process of tumbled chrome vs. polished chrome -- gives us a new perspective on the reasoning behind certain details.

Even my wife, who is a teacher and E Lit Major glanced at the book, and commented how well it was written in a conversational form -- much like visiting with someone in your living room -- and so well organized and easy to read.

Two additional things:

Anyone interested in Fishing Tackle -- who does not have this book, is like a carpenter showing up to a job site without his tools.  He can see where a house is supposed to be -- but cannot build it.

Mike has made this book as inexpensive as possible -- and it will be a staple of knowledge to those interested.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

WOW,

I am blushing, glad to see you are getting so much out of it. My writing style is conversational because I am totally untrained. Your wife has impressed me, being the first person to have picked up on that. I write like I talk, only when I write I can go back over it and edit, so it comes out better.
               My wife tells me I have "Foot in Mouth Disease".

I do not want to take all the writing credits, the publisher and the President of ORCA both have PHD's and helped with the editing. The publisher is a University Professor in Ohio.
So, I had help and they had their work cut out for them in turning my work into a imperfect but publishable work.

Thanks Again Fred

And yes, I believe the handle knob you have is Hard Rubber. Here is a Penn Surf Angler Trade Reel aka Penn 15 with a hard rubber handle knob similar to yours:

Basically, in the early years, Penn had wood (machined) handle knobs or hard rubber (molded) handle knobs. Eventually molded knobs won out because they were less costly to manufacture:

Off hand, I cannot remember if this letter is in my book, it may be. It kind of sums up why Penn eventually moved to all molded knobs.

broadway

That's a cool bit of knowledge.  I walk by 11 Mercer St. daily. it's so cool to see all these reel shops and manufacturers in NYC... goes to show, it's always been the best place in the world! ;D
I have a 1939 Sea Hawk with the molded handle, but I like those colorful wooden handles best.
Thanks
Dom

alantani

this just arrived.  mike, thanks a million!!!!!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!