1st time out

Started by Crow, February 20, 2020, 08:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Not sure if this is the right thread to use, but I need a few "tips'. While I have been out (in a private boat) to fish the "close in" rigs, here off Dauphin Island, I've never been on a "commercial charter". 6 of us, in the "snowbird fishing club", have set up a charter for next Tuesday to fish the "farther out rigs", and artificial reefs. 6-7 hours (depending on weather conditions), in 100-130 feet of water. Questions I have...that the "skipper" hasn't already answered, are:
  Is it "usual" to tip the Skipper ? Or is his "fee" sufficiant ? (6 guys, 6-7 hours, $1200)

How much is a customary tip for the deck hand? He's cleaning the fish...baby sitting a bunch of "old timers", and *probably* stuck listening to all our jokes and stories!

I do regret that I won't be able to fish with any of my own tackle....but I understand the reasons why the skipper wants to use "his" stuff.

I should add that the poor "deck hand " will have to deal with "Gary"...who always holds his spinning reel upside down, and reels "backwards, as well as "Wayne", who's hooksets have thrown a 1 pound whiting over 20 feet (we stepped it off !) behind him, into the dunes !

Any tips will be greatly appreciated !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Crow

Well, our trip never came to pass :'(. Rough water / storms cancelled it out...and the predictions are for more of the same, for the next week, to ten days........and that's about the end of our time, down here. So, I guess we''ll try again, next year ;).
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Crow,
Sorry man, I hate scheduling those and get cancelled,  same story here in MI too, we got called at 5 am in the morning.

Tip = deck hands I would giver them something range, 10% to 20%, yours is an expensive charter, so I am not sure if $300 tip is proper.

Did you ever look into the walk on boats out of Destin?

I will give you a jingle in a few!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

Well, we are going to try a charter, again, tomorrow !  last year, the "virus worries" kept us from it, but, this year, all of us are "vaxed", "boosted", and eager to get out there ! Different dude than we had talked with, in '20, so we'll see ! He has a pretty good reputation, here on the island, and that makes me feel good. I'm anxious to fish with some "experience", rather than stumble around "in the dark"....hope for a learning experience, as well as some fun !

Gfish

Cool! "Gary's" and "Wayne's" can be fun to fish with. It's guy's you don't know, that get too frustrated out there, that are a PITA. Something about the onset of motion sickness that does that to some people.
Report?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Yeah! A "quick' report! Canceled on account of wind ! :-\. "Hopefully", we will be able to get out there....sometime :D

Brewcrafter

Crow - Sorry you keep getting blown out - I'm looking forward to a fish report!  Back to your original question, I don't know how it works there on the "right coast" but if it were me - tip.  And if I'm happy - tip well.  The relationship goes both ways, and while you are critiquing the boatman (as you should, you are paying for this!) if the boatman has been doing this for any amount of time he is critiquing you as well (do I really want these folks back?).  And sure, while you might have "Gary and Wayne" in your group, I would have to think a good positive attitude and the willingness to listen makes up for much of that.  Same thing with the gear - a boat operator wants you to have success (it's pretty much (right or wrong) how their operation is judged.  But i would have to think (only guessing here) that once you develop that relationship to where the Captain is comfortable with you and - more importantly - your expectations - then they might be cool with you bringing your own gear on board, after all it is your trip. And they will look forward to holding a spot for you (and "Gary and "Wayne") every year. - john

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on February 16, 2022, 05:52:32 PM
Yeah! A "quick' report! Canceled on account of wind ! :-\. "Hopefully", we will be able to get out there....sometime :D

Get em next time!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

Should retitle this as the story of 6 stupid snowbirds !  We made our "trip" on Feb. 18th, and were supposed to meet at the dock at 6:00AM, got a call from the "Captain" at 6:30...."too foggy!, come back at 8:00, I'll only charge you half, and we will only go for 4 hours." Cost was to be $200, for 6 hours (times the 6 of us, of course). Walked back to the dock, for the 8:00 meet, and at 8:30, he arrived and started backing the boat in. We boarded, and he said "It's really getting too rough out there (3'-4' waves, clear sky, and about 15 mph winds) to go out to the artificial reef, so will just go to the closest rig, and fish for sheephead. About 5 minutes away from the dock...BANG...he hit a BIG wave, two of us really hurt our backs (no cushions, and we were sitting on coolers, or the deck), one other apparently jarred his kindneys, as he "peed red" for a week, and the "mate" (she was the best thing about the trip !!), fell down (she was standing, holding on to the Bimini top braces), and really gashed her leg! We patched her up, and headed back into the bay, where we fished for a while...maybe an hour...with no luck. Then , back to the dock, and we fished around the pilings, for a while. Again...no fish! The tackle he had was "good stuff", but in terrible shape, and we had lots of issues, with that.Anyway, we were "on the water" for just a bit less than 3 hours....no fish....my back is STILL screwed up....Don's only bothered him for two weeks(he is the lucky one, I guess!)...I think the "mate" probably had to have some stitches....and all that "only" cost us a $100 per head ! What really gets me, is I saw "red flags" ,several times....his tardiness...condition of his tackle....His "driving"...., and I was still stupid enough to go !
     The campground keeps a "list" of "charter boats",either those here, on the island, or nearby....that's where we got this guy's contact info...and after we talked to the campground staff, they contacted the guy, and told him he was "off the list", and they were going to report him to the island "Better Business" group. He has had "issues" before...but mostly "no fish" complaints, so he remained "on the list", but after our "tour", they pulled the plug on him! The "BBB" also list him on their "not recommended" page, and reported him to the local "charter association".....so maybe some others will be spared a "bad time" !
      About a week later, 3 of our group went on a 4 hour...with a different captain...had a great time , and caught some fish. Don and I were too "stove up" to do ANY boating, and Gary said "I ain't NEVER going , again!"
     It's that time of year when us "snowbirds" start heading north...a couple of our group have already "flown', so, HOPEFULLY, next season, I can get hooked up with a charter that "works"....and we can convince Gary not to let a bad experience ruin things for him....!

Swami805

What a bummer of a trip, I've had a few of those and it's never fun. Hopefully your next one is better
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

I've had one trip where it was prolly too rough out on Half Moon Bay(SF Bay Area)several years ago. The Captain told us "guy's it's gonna be real sloppy out there". Most guy's, like me, prolly had bruises on their legs/thighs. Couldn't eat lunch 'till an hour after we got back, but I held 'er down out there. We all got wet on the trip out. Four Greenhorns started decorating the head with barf within 1/2 hr. of leaving the dock. I passed out ginger candy to 'em, but it came right back-up. One guy wanted to mutiny and force the Captain to head back. Since he was talkin to me, I turned it into a joke that only I thought was funny; "yeah come on, let's threaten to keel-haul Captain Bligh!"

But, we caught fish. I got the only Lingcod. And it really was a fun experience in different kind of way. The Captain, deckhand(amazing job filleting our fish in those conditions) and I shared some laughs back at the dock. "Boy ah hate complainers!" A unique learning experience.

Next time Crow, it can only get better...

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!