Cool Boat Rod

Started by Newell Nut, February 03, 2015, 01:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

When I am done the Pastime will have the coolest rods of any party boat. The boat rod design is my personal creation so I have plenty of test rods for ideas to perfect my talents  which is very fortunate and the owners like them all. Today is a new idea with a peacock feather inlay and it turned out nice and learned a trick or two along the way. Thanks to Jon with some tutorial links and then full speed ahead. No matter how much you read you just have to get your hands into it to figure things out.

JoePlo

Looks really neat. Would like to see a pic of entire rod.

Newell Nut

I think it very unethical to copy Jon's marble style so I created my own style. Here are some pics of another boat rod but still maintaining the Pastime Princess Color Scheme. When I am done they will have 100 nice rods and every one uniquely different in pattern. What I do is put the PacBay TW SS guides and tips on all of them and most need a new fore grip and reel seat, the butt grips are usually okay but occasionally have to replace one. Very little money in this project so I have to control cost and time. The nice thing is that I have a play ground to test ideas. All rods are getting a base marble coat and after that sets I put a clear coat on top for a little extra protection for the rods.

Steve-O

Nice rod. Definitely right about getting down to it versus reading about it. Things happen during the build....like micro air bubbles....grrr...but a little heat will get them gone...yay!

What class is it? Looks stout enough for AJ's.

Keta

Nice, my rods are tools, yours are getting close to art.  When I have the time I'm working on another rod for kokanee, most of my time lately has been consumed designing and building a suspension seats for "small" boats.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Dwight, nice work. It's always nice being able to experiment with different ideas and techniques. You have a great base to work from doing 100 rods. I could only wish I would have these talents. Good job and thanks for posting.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Steve-O on February 03, 2015, 02:29:18 PM
Nice rod. Definitely right about getting down to it versus reading about it. Things happen during the build....like micro air bubbles....grrr...but a little heat will get them gone...yay!

What class is it? Looks stout enough for AJ's.

As far as the class the lightest label I have seen on a old rod is 15-40 on the light side but these rods a huge collection of flea market, yard sale junk really but the blanks are stout enough for any AJ or cobia that we hook up. The rods looked horrible when I started and if I paid $75 to fish and a mate handed me one of those I would be pissed. Through out this process I have watched customer's personalities change on the boat as the blue rods started to show. In the beginning all the early shows would walk around and grab a blue pole for their rod for the day. No only  a few crappy rods remain and all that I am doing is turning a sow's ear into a silk purse. It is still the same blank. I do give them all a good test bend before I start stripping them and I have broken a bunch of them and they will be tomato stakes and never see action again.

Lee,
As we get into our mature years we need to keep our minds and hands busy doing something. Good luck with the boat seats.

Keta

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 03, 2015, 03:05:40 PM
Good luck with the boat seats.

Thank you, this started off with a friend complaining about having a sore back.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

CooldadE

Nice ! I have a set of those same guides, a blank and all the fixins to complete a rod . I just need to set aside some time to start / complete...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bryan Young

I love your marbling Dwight...reminds me of the ocean.

BYW, Jon's marbling is very common in the industry of individuals that do marbling.  Besides, every single marbling is different even on the same rod.  Knowing Jon, he would not be offended, but probably feel privileged that someone though enough of his marbling to learn from it and make it on one's rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Steve-O

Nice work, Dwight!  Would love to see the anglers scrambling around for the "good" rods. Having decent gear on a paid trip ups the confidence level quite a bit. I've been on charters with great gear and you look at the captain and mate(s) and they know you know because they're fishermen as well.

Flip the coin over and I've had the junk rods with slipping reel seats....that is the worst....GRRRrrrrr! Reeling up an Alaskan Barn Door halibut from 300', while every handle crank gets a reel going left-right, left-right, flip-flop, flip-flop. Bit my tongue and kept cranking. no fun there. Felt like the reel was going to abandon ship any minute.

Good onya for not only repairing and culling the junk but making the rods WAAAAAY better than before. Hopefully the captain is reciprocating with pocket money and free trips.

broschro

looks Awesome Dwight.drop me line and let me know when you are going fishing.

Newell Nut

This whole week looks like a blowout. Hopefully next Tuesday.