wishing to change all roller guides for normal boat guides, worth it?

Started by steelfish, February 04, 2015, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey guys,

I have this trolling rod since 7 years ago, its a all roller guides, 6" quantum blue runner gold trolling rod, I only used 3 times then I started to use braid line and found better rod options than this one, it just doesnt look good braid and roller guides and also it also doesnt work as good as with mono line, anyway.

since I really like the size 6" and the Heady duty black (130lb) special to work as "panga rod" I was thinking to take the rollers out and put some normal SS guides on it to start using it again as my HD rod.

I dont plan to go with fancy guides of $60-$100 price, I will be happy with some $30-$40 guides and also planning to do the job myself (in my small town here in Mexico nobody is good enough to do the job as you guys) and I dont want to send the rod to a big city and pay big money for that, if I really need to do that then I better sold the rod for cheap and find another short rod in the future.

Im really all cover with my actual reels and rods so, this is more like a personal project as my first parcial "rod build job".. but if you really think it really doesnt worth the hassle then I will stop here before taking the knife on the guides.

non of my reels have mono line so, this rod is been always getting dust on the basement.

all alloy butt cap for fighting belt.

all alloy rod seat with double ring, as well as a nice long top handle

all roller guides.

your comments?
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Roller guides should work perfectly well with braided lines.  are your rollers clean and properly lubricated?

One issue that you will find when switching to rings is that the striper guide (the first guide the line sees after leaving the reel) may be much lower to the rod blank and you may need to move the guide closer to the reel seat to stop the line from hitting the grip or blank.  I'm not sure you want to do this.

I'd first check to see if the rollers are properly turning before giving up on the rollers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

well the other reason for changing the guides is to be able to cast a heavy jig with my trolling reel (fathom or penn 320gt) quickly just changing the lure on the same rod.

normally on a panga boat since they are small you only carry two rods, one for trolling and one for bait or casting lures... if you can get away with one reel/rod combo that's golden.

I always took 2 combos with me, tho.
The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

Big question is will you fish braid or mono. The Braid line will cut the SS guides. Braid ready guides will cost you a few bucks. If you are going to use mono and want to go budget you can use the Pac Bay TW (twisted wire) guides that are chrome plated SS and heavy duty too.

steelfish

hell, you guys are right, this rod looks too clean and with good quality components to change them for cheap guides, I better clean those rollers and use it one more time with braid lines, after that try decide to keep it or sell it and get a proper panga rod with braid ready rings.
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

I've casted with rods with roller guides before.  In fact two of my favorite rods have roller guides that I regularly use to toss jigs and live bait.  Although they are Aftco Lites, they work great.  Never a problem...and I only fish with braided lines.

Aftco also has roller guides for this purpose as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

Guides getting cut by spectra doesn't really happen anymore. Any decent hard-chromed guides are fine with today's spectra. Panga's can be hard on rods and ring's certainly are easier to maintain. I troll with the same rod I yoyo with. I use 50# mono over 65-80# spectra and just change the lure as needed from a yoyo iron to a Rapala Magnum XRap.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

If the rollers are working or if you can get them working I would not change them.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

If you must have different guides I'd look into trading this rod for another.  BTW, I've changed guides on a few of my rods rods and although it's a pain I will do it again.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Thanks guys for your comments I really appreciate that

I actually just finished to clean the roller guides, I took them out, used few spray shots of corrosion X and let them sit for a while with the oil, later I put them again on the rod and now they spin super free.

I will train myself to cast with this rod with heavy jigs and short distances..
I really like the short size and the flexible tip.

I think I will keep it like that and take it more often to the water.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on February 05, 2015, 05:52:57 AM
If you must have different guided I'd look into trading this rod for another. 

Im really all covered on rods for trolling, casting, jigging, etc., so I was more interested to take it as a project but after double thinking I will keep it like that
The Baja Guy