Rod Suggestion

Started by DFT, February 06, 2015, 02:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Yeah, you need to go big when dropper looping in rocky conditions. Those fish will try to take you to the rocks and break you off. You need to have tight drags and get them away from the bottom in the first few cranks. 80# is the goto under those conditions. Sometimes you need to go with 100!

I got my 45.5# YT on 50# and my son got his 45# YT on 40# but they came on fly line at Cedros.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

I like 25# for those.... ;D  I was planning on using 40# for YT on Alan's trip last year but Jimmer did not have gear and he used mine.  I made Alan drink scotch the night before we drove to SD he forgot his bag of loaner reels,  I used my spiral wrapped rod w/MX 2speed, my favorite YT/albacore rig.  To tell the truth I would have used it after the first fish or two.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DFT

It makes sense MarkT.  The MK 16 is next on my list.  Good fishing Keta.

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2015, 05:50:38 PM
Mark, we were getting rocked fishing for large YT in the Santa Roselea, Baja Sur area and we ended up fishing 80#.  Something even larger almost spooled me and bent a heavy 5/0 Owner Gorilla hook.

finally someone that understand why we use 60# and 80# mono leaders (or main line) in 3/0 and 4/0 sized reels while fishing in sea of cortez, I really dont see me fishing 20#, 25# or even 30# like some guys in the pasific sea, inshore YT and big cabrillas (leopard grouper) would break that poundage lines easily.

I supose the fish that bent that heavy 5/0 owner hook was a gulf grouper
The Baja Guy