alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial AR-15 Question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 21, 2020, 04:11:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AR-15 Question  (Read 140016 times)
AlasKen

Kenneth "Crystal Dawn" Eagle River, AK

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »

I have really enjoyed the discussion.  I am late 50's and live in Alaska.  Open and concealed carry without CCW is legal and frankly a constitutional right but that is another conversation.  Stand your ground state.  High level of military and hunters.  And a large number of curmudgeonly old guys like me that just want to be left alone.  I hope I never have to find out if I am still the man I thought I was in the youth.  With that said my wife and I are ready to defend ourselves if we have to.  The day I got married I told my wife I would never sneak home and try and slip in bed without fully waking her in advance.  I would not try and scare her, ever.  If someone is sneaking in late at night they are not friendly.  Trained our kids and even as teenagers expressed the fact that it was better to call if you are late and not try and slip in.  Luckily I have never had an incident but my uncle shot and killed someone in his house attacking him.  Kind of close to home.  Personally my wife prefers a 38 revolver.  I like a short barreled 12 gauge with pistol grip.  That is also my bear gun when hiking.   

Back to the original question on 80% receiver.  I know nothing about polymer receivers but I have purchased three of these 80% with a jig as well as a 1911 80 %.  I think these are some of the better ones on the market and have talked with a number of successful builders using these.  I went 80% for the ease of shipping.  I also like to build things and put my own stamp of things.  Probably why I built my own boat, upgrade my own reals, and remodel my own house.  Just seems natural.  I have not started the 1911 yet but it looks purty.  Makes an interesting paperweight.  This gives me something to do during the 20 hours of dark in the winter.  I have no interest or connection with Tactical Machining other than as a customer.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/learn/80-lower-receiver.html

In closing I hate to say it but I feel pretty strongly that the chances are we will end up knowing someone that was involved in a terror incident before we die.  I just hope I am prepared if it is me.  Ken

David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »

I grew up in a house with 10 people and a locked and loaded firearm in every closet.  Different times.
Now on. My nightstand is one of them fancy gun safes with a .357 dbl action revolver and three speed loaders.
2-12ga 2-3/4" 00 shells, the shotgun leans up in the corner of the room.  The rest of my collection resides in a big brownell safe in the garage.
  I just got my first AR's, haven't even fired them yet but really looking forward to it.
mley1

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »

An unloaded, unreachable firearm is nothing more than a paperweight. Self defense with any firearm only works if you can get to it in time, and it's loaded ready to rock. I'll take a loaded .22 I can get to before any gun in a safe. Then, once you get your weapon, you MUST be ready to do violence on another human being. The violence you give must be great enough to stop the threat. It will happen fast. The fight or flight reaction will determine whether you live or die.  Defense, survival, is a mindset. Your firearms are merely tools.

Good luck fishing,

Marty
mley1

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 11:24:28 AM »

Oh, to the OP, I avoid polymer AR15's. I like metal. However, the Glock pistols I've carried were excellent. And they have polymer frames.

Good luck fishing,

Marty
anglingarchitect
Firearms Group

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2016, 02:56:24 PM »

Regular Alumn lowers are not that expensive.The reason people want them is the are not registered, like complete lowers, but I think the Second is safe for a while now.
spc7669

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »

Coming in a little late, but have carried a gun, including the AR, professionally for a long time. Not a fan. I found it to be one of the most finicky firearms I ever shot and had more stoppages than ANY firearm I ever handled. They can be made into top notch guns, but it requires a willingness to upgrade and experiment with parts. If you are a gun guy and want to customize, sally forth. If you want reliable from the jump, buy an 870 or an AK.

My current lineup is the Glock 17 and 26 with the model 43 forthcoming along with an 870 with a short barrel.

I own an AR, but it has an upgraded bolt, buffer, trigger, and other stuff. I shoot it on occasion, but my confidence lies with the others.

Whatever you go with, shoot it, a lot.
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »

Unless it is a piston gun, ,the bolt needs some juice to keep it going. Like you said, some upgrading.
My AR-10's have never let me down.
My go to home Defense Gun right now is an 8 shot Persuader.

Life is Good!
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »

I go for ultimate reliability,
Winchester 24 and Ruger GP-100. If I need more than that, A Savage 110 30-06 comes in handy, as does a UGM-109.
Ron

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: