second generation penn gear sleeves (updated february 2015)

Started by alantani, February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

first up, the gen II 6/0 gear sleeve kit, $40 with domestic shipping included.

here is the kit.  it's a second generation 114/114h/115 gear sleeve with a thin metal washer, a thin carbon fiber washer, a stainless steel dog from keta, and a 2x8mm retaining pin.  the gear sleeve is $30, the washer/dog kit is $7, and figure $3 for domestic shipping.  for shipping overseas, figure $8 or something close.  

on the gen II gear sleeves, the flat faces are cut all the way down to the ratchet gear.  there is still plenty of support for the main gear.  

now what we can do is add a thin metal washer.  this will keep fuzz from the carbon fiber drag washers from getting into the teeth of the gear.

this metal washer will also now fully support a super thin carbon fiber drag washer.  both of these washers were designed and cut by bryan young.

here's what the full assembly looks like with the main gear in place.  

normally, i would throw a #6-114 drag washer under the main gear.  this has always worked fine, but i wanted to change things up a little.  you can see the increase in surface area with the larger drag washer.  

next up is the 4/0 gen II gear sleeve kit.   this fits the penn senator 113h and the 320 and 330 gt series reels, as well as some of the progears.  it's $25 for the gen II gear sleeve, plus $7 for the washer/dog kit, and $3 for domestic shipping.

just like the 6/0 gear sleeve, the 98-320 gen II has flat faces cut all the way down to the ratchet gear.  

the metal washer sits flush against the ratchet gear and provides cover for the stainless steel dog.

bryan cut both washer from super thin material.

now you have a full size, fully supported, greased carbon fiber drag washer under the main gear.

you can see the difference in size between the standard carbon fiber drag washer and the gen II set up.

if this looks familiar, it's because you've seen this system in newell reels.  it was likely abandoned by carl newell because of the extra cost and because the improvement in drag performance was not that great, but we have the advantage of greased carbon fiber that carl newell did not have.  honestly, though, if you compared reels with the original stock penn fiber washers, sal's delron washer, a greased smoothdrag carbontex carbon fiber washer or a gen II metal/carbon fiber washer system, i doubt that you would be able to tell much of a difference.  

the reason i like this gen II system the best is because it gives you the maximum amount of drag surface area with a minimum investment.  really, the only extra cost is a $2 metal washer.  would i gut a reel that already had upgrades to go with a gen II system?  no.  but if you have a reel and are considering these upgrades anyway, you can go with a gen II system for really only an extra $2.  

for the squidder, coarse thread jigmaster, and fine thread jigmaster gear sleeves, a complete gen II kit is not available.  a coarse thread gear sleeve was cut, but not all the down to the base as needed.  you will see gen II kits for smaller reels in future runs.  for now, if you want to try a kit in a 4/0, 6/0 penn or 9/0 penn, send me a pm.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

I love how it came out Alan.  A lot of talking and discussions, and to see the pieces come together is amazing.  Thank uou for fun of creating what was discovered by Carl Newell and apply it to Penn Reels.  Can't want to try it out in my own reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jigmaster501

When will the gen 2 sleeves be available for jigmasters, squidders, etc?????

A few week, months?

That is a really nice system there.

BMITCH

Alan,Bryan. I have first gen. 113h and 114h sleeves. Would I be able to file down the flats?? And if so are you carrying the washers(cf & SS) separately ??
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

You should be able to do this Bob but be careful.  BTW, your new toys are on the way.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 15, 2015, 05:04:03 PM
When will the gen 2 sleeves be available for jigmasters, squidders, etc?????

I have 2 for the 500 now but there were minor issues with them.  The "problem" was easily fixed but I'm not sure Alan is selling the first run.  I put one in a 501 and the other in a 210.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Lee, as always your of great help. One of the reasons I like getting on here so much. Thanks buddy.

Bob

Bryan Young

Hi Bob, It will be possible or you to file down the sides flat.  All I can tell you is that I cannot do it very nicely.  Unfortunatley, I don't have any of the thin carbon fiber washers.  Alan has all of them for the 113H and 114H kits.  Funny, now that I think of it, I didn't even make extra metal washers for myself, and I need to get it from him.  lol

I'd better run off some extra washers for myself in the next order.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I hate when I don't have parts I make when I need them too. 

Mark Twain

BMITCH

Bryan, if you would make these washers available I would really appreciate it. Let me know, as I'm willing to chance fouling up a sleeve or two in order to have this set up. I've been gripping for years about the carbon fibers coming onto the sleeve teeth. This is the answer. Let me know.

Bob

LTM

Quote from: BMITCH on February 15, 2015, 05:29:40 PM
Alan,Bryan. I have first gen. 113h and 114h sleeves. Would I be able to file down the flats?? And if so are you carrying the washers(cf & SS) separately ??
Good question Bob,

I was thinking of using some of my knife sharpening stones (which I plane flat on a large diamond stone) to get this done.

Leo

PS. I too will need Bryan's parts to complete. Bryan, please make extra's for those of us who will attempt to modify the gen I parts.

alantani

i've used the the cutting wheel of a dremel and i think it is the best.  if anyone wants to make the conversion from gen I to gen II, let me know and i can send out just the metal washers and thin carbon fiber washers.  i also have stainless steel dogs. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shiftee

Got my gen 2 kit in along with Bryan's 7+1 system. Alan and Bryan are modest men. On the other hand, 42.5lbs of drag on a 114HLW is not. Thanks guys!