second generation penn gear sleeves (updated february 2015)

Started by alantani, February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Very Ingenious Bryan! You knocked this one out of the park Buddy!
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I'm thinking of putting a Delrin Washer on the SS Washer Not CF.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 28, 2015, 10:07:37 PM
The purpose of cutting the flats all the way down is so that we and add another drag surface into the drag stack as once done by the great Carl Newell.  Therefor, instead of having a 5 stack drag system, you would now have a true 6 stack drag system. 
Carl was a genius, but I don't believe he did too good on that one, he probably would have changed it if he was still with us.
The washer under the gear should act as a bearing and not as an additional drag.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

In the laws of physics, what does it matter is you create a drag surface above or below the gear?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

First off, I'm not knocking your gear sleeve, I'm simply comparing a carbon fiber washer for under the gear with an Acetal washer. I have my personal tests and I'm definitely sure that the Acetal washer makes the reel much smoother without loosing drag numbers.
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 01, 2015, 01:47:08 AM
In the laws of physics, what does it matter is you create a drag surface above or below the gear?
It matters very much.
The carbon fiber washer when used under the gear interferes with the gear from doing its job on spinning as smooth as possible, weather under stress or not.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

I'm gonna try to be the peacemaker and say that both systems have there applications. Personally I'm glad we have the choice.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LTM

What about an Acetal/Delrin top washer for smoothness and the keyed/carbon fiber under gear washer as a "COMBO"?

Leo

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: LTM on March 01, 2015, 03:08:29 PM
What about an Acetal/Delrin top washer for smoothness and the keyed/carbon fiber under gear washer as a "COMBO"?

Leo

I have to say this, Im not sure the acetal washer ON TOP has much effect on smoothness.

Keta

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 03, 2015, 03:26:10 PM
I have to say this, Im not sure the acetal washer ON TOP has much effect on smoothness.

What I see is the star turns easier.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 03, 2015, 03:26:10 PM

I am. From my tests I noticed that the Acetal on top has just as much effect as the one at the bottom.
Sal

Newell Nut

I have an original P322 4 stack with Bryan's 5 stack added to it and it is smooth as silk and I refuse to tamper with it. BUT on my 540 3.2 and my 631 3 workhorses I put the delrin under the gear and they got smoother and I did not lose any drag strength. I put Delrin on the top of the stack in my Conflict 8000 and it got smoother and that reel did some serious screaming on king macs in January. I will do more delrin when I get time to tinker. I am a believer in Delrin and thanks to Sal for sending me a sample to tinker with and I bought more and have shared with others. Will it work on your reel? I don't know but it works for me.

pyros46290

i had the idea of the 'full length flats' on the gear sleeve in my head for a while. glad to see they are now available for something. i have a couple well used brass gear sleeves for jigmaster that i think i want to take a stab at cutting the flats all the way down to the end. i have a drill press, some carbide bits and moveable vise to basically make it work like a mill. i think i will practice on my old haggered brass, and if it goes well enough, and ive had a few beers, ill try it on the SS sleeve.

i have a feeling i will run into an issue with the overall height of the stack contacting the side plate. if i remove the wavy washer from the top of the stack do you think it will fit? or will i need to remove material from the inside of the right side plate?

alantani

if you want some of the super thin metal and carbon fiber washers to play with, let me know. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

next up is the 4/0 gen II gear sleeve kit.   this fits the penn senator 113h and the 320 and 330 gt series reels, as well as some of the progears.  it's $25 for the gen II gear sleeve, plus $7 for the washer/dog kit, and $3 for domestic shipping.

would this upgrades be too much (or not needed) for a 320gti ?
do you guys think I can get a bit more drags and more important that more drag will be able to be used on the graphite body

or the 320gt is just good enough with new set of Ht-100 drags with cals grease?

The Baja Guy

alantani

Quote from: steelfish on May 19, 2015, 08:14:48 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

next up is the 4/0 gen II gear sleeve kit.   this fits the penn senator 113h and the 320 and 330 gt series reels, as well as some of the progears.  it's $25 for the gen II gear sleeve, plus $7 for the washer/dog kit, and $3 for domestic shipping.

would this upgrades be too much (or not needed) for a 320gti ?
do you guys think I can get a bit more drags and more important that more drag will be able to be used on the graphite body

or the 320gt is just good enough with new set of Ht-100 drags with cals grease?

honestly, not needed.  i'd put a carbontex drag under the main gear, grease all the washers with cal's grease and call it done. quick and simple. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!