second generation penn gear sleeves (updated february 2015)

Started by alantani, February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Quote from: pyros46290 on March 30, 2015, 03:45:32 PM
i had the idea of the 'full length flats' on the gear sleeve in my head for a while. glad to see they are now available for something. i have a couple well used brass gear sleeves for jigmaster that i think i want to take a stab at cutting the flats all the way down to the end. i have a drill press, some carbide bits and moveable vise to basically make it work like a mill. i think i will practice on my old haggered brass, and if it goes well enough, and ive had a few beers, ill try it on the SS sleeve.

i have a feeling i will run into an issue with the overall height of the stack contacting the side plate. if i remove the wavy washer from the top of the stack do you think it will fit? or will i need to remove material from the inside of the right side plate?

A drill press wont have the spindle rigidity a milling machine would, but as long as you take light cuts it wont matter much.  A cutting oil will help, just make sure the carbide is sharp.  Stainless work hardens, so you want a shallow depth of cut, but dont baby it too much on the feed rate. 

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on May 20, 2015, 03:27:51 AM
Quote from: steelfish on May 19, 2015, 08:14:48 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 09, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

next up is the 4/0 gen II gear sleeve kit.   this fits the penn senator 113h and the 320 and 330 gt series reels, as well as some of the progears.  it's $25 for the gen II gear sleeve, plus $7 for the washer/dog kit, and $3 for domestic shipping.

would this upgrades be too much (or not needed) for a 320gti ?
do you guys think I can get a bit more drags and more important that more drag will be able to be used on the graphite body

or the 320gt is just good enough with new set of Ht-100 drags with cals grease?

honestly, not needed.  i'd put a carbontex drag under the main gear, grease all the washers with cal's grease and call it done. quick and simple.  

Well thats the way it is right Now.. so I will call it done and Take another reel to upgrade, Thanks Alan
The Baja Guy

Sledge

alantani

yes, they are, in coarse thread only!  i should have fine thread gear sleeves in a week.  send a pm and i'll get one shipped out to you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Sledge

Thanks Alan!  I should have been specific, I was referring to the STM (Super Thin Metal)  washer.  But they go together, and I was also wondering what to do about the SS sleeve since you seemed to be having trouble sourcing a supplier.  Does this mean those troubles are over?

Hoochrip

Quote from: alantani on June 30, 2015, 06:00:31 PM
yes, they are, in coarse thread only!  i should have fine thread gear sleeves in a week.  send a pm and i'll get one shipped out to you. 
Do you have the second generation fine thread sleeves and what would they cost and are the any washers needed in addition to these needed. I was going to get Bryan's 5 stack drags for a 505, and have ss Newell gear.
Thanks,

mikeysm

Sparky979

Are the second generation gear sleeves compatible with the soon to be available 113H double dog plates?

alantani

not sure.  there might be a change in the base.  check with alan chui.  he might also be offering these parts as a complete set. 

broschro

alantani

got a bunch, but the washers under the gear will not work because of the smaller gear.  send me a pm with your address and we'll figure out what will work. 

Sharkin904

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Sharkin904 on March 14, 2016, 05:48:00 PM
Any Sleeves for a 12, 14, or 16's available?
Tom has those in stainless.
He has his own spot here. Cortez Conversions.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13225.0
If you want just brass ones. I have some.
Life is Good!

mo65

I'm going to try this under gear set on a project I'm starting. The way I'm seeing this...regardless of the fiber disc material(carbontex, delrin, or Penn's stock washer) having that keyed washer against the ratchet can be nothing but good. Any shredding of material is eliminated.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~