Deckhand grips

Started by jmbnv, February 09, 2015, 08:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Quote from: BMITCH on February 10, 2015, 12:24:40 PM
Quote from: maxpowers on February 10, 2015, 07:55:36 AM
there is the  fuji plate type reel seat if you want to add a bit of security to you deckhand grip.  Some people just tape them on it seems to work fine.

Is this plate removable?? Can it be adjusted up and down the handle??

yes.  They originally was designed for deckhand style spinning rod.  Some people will wrapped and epoxied them on the grip while other will just taped them on with electrical tape.  Either way will work.  For conventional reel I would still use a reel clamp if one is available.  Oh the other nice thing is that you can fish those reels that does not have reel clamp like the avet sxj or some of the bigger baitcasters (lexa, revo) on your favorite light action deckhand grip rod.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 12, 2015, 12:42:28 AM
I have a couple of the rod puppies in my possession if anyone needs one. I just got home from buying a bunch of stuff from a guy getting out of the saltwater rod business. I spotted a couple in one of the plastic bins as I was quickly checking it out.

I might be down with buying these from you. What sizes and colors do you have? They came in 25, 28 and 31 mm, with the colors being Black, Silver and Gold. A picure of them would be great.

Newell Nut

Size is 31mm and that dimension is actually the OD and a Newell 220 will even fit the holes on the sliding washer.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 12, 2015, 12:42:28 AM
I have a couple of the rod puppies in my possession if anyone needs one. I just got home from buying a bunch of stuff from a guy getting out of the saltwater rod business. I spotted a couple in one of the plastic bins as I was quickly checking it out.
Dwight,
If they are on sale, can you pick them up for me and I'll paypal you the money plus shipping.  Thanks.

BTW, I especially need one for a Newell 220, 229, and now a 235.

Thanks,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

NNut, I could use the gold 31mm, if it's still available... PM me?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Newell Nut

Aiala and Bryan now have one cork puppy each. That is all folks.

SoCalAngler

Newell Nut

A commitment to buy beats a "might buy". Sorry if you are disappointed.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 13, 2015, 08:59:30 PM
A commitment to buy beats a "might buy". Sorry if you are disappointed.

How could anyone commit to buy when the seller doesn't state exactly what their selling? Really not a big deal but would anyone have commited when the you called the clamps "rod puppies" and did not list the size or color, I'm not a mind reader....lol

Anyway the blank size will determine more the size of the Cork Puppy needed than the just the reel size. The 31mm were for fatter blanks like the Ulua's and the 100J's, the 28mm for blanks like 6480's and 270-8H's and the 25mm for the thinner blanks like the 196-8 and alike.

I'm sure Bryan knows this but Alia get ready to change the mounting screws on what ever reel your going to use the Cork Puppy on because these wrap around the blank much further making the stock studs/screws too long.

Rivverrat

On my 2 deckhand rods I cut bicycle tubes to fit beneath the reel foot & clamp. If your carefull & use a sharp knife the tube wont show. But SoCal's idea with the shrink grip looks pretty darn good.

Newell Nut

The bicycle tube works good under my Tiburon rod clamps too, especially on a larger OD reel seat where the edge of the clamp hits the seat instead of the radius.

canoecaper

Bicycle tube is a panacea.  Cheap or probably free.  Makes brilliant casting thumbies.
Works well as a dry grip.  Useless when wet as hands slip everywhere.  Graphene may spell the end of them.
X shrink is good, especially the colours.  My favourite for old school beach casters and boat rod butts is cricket bat handle rubbers.
Roll them on like a condom.  Might need something like a long conical chair leg with a fixed brass collar to overlap the end of the butt.
This is what sports shops use.  My local guy gave me one.
Then, just roll them on and up and down until you are happy.  No glue, no heat gun.  Will perish eventually as they are rubber.  10 to 15 years.

About to order x 2 "Trigger Clamp For Deckhand Rods" from Charkbait.
I hope they will hold my 970 / 980s and give me a proper trigger grip for a decent distance, reel up.  150yards fishing on 0.45mm.  These 970s fly with ceramics.
Coasters are now much improved and OK but if you need a reel this heavy!

Answer to previous post.  Put grip on the whole butt reel section.  Then you can go long for lightish casting / uptiding or short for stand up length with bottom hand controlling the reel like the top surfcasters.  A high top hand would then enable you to flop out big , heavy whatevers.

I hate the Tiburon clamp.  It just makes a mess of my AFTCOs as it is far too curved.  Suggestions please.

Rgds.

Malcolm Hayward

Jim Fujitani

Some people that first try Cork Puppies get frustrated because the design of Cork Puppies wrap part way around the deckhand grip.  This changes the length requirements of the rod clamp bolts for the reels.  I bought and keep a set of nylon washers/spacers (cheap at Home Depot/Lowe's) that match the diameter of the rod clamp bolts of the different reels I may use on a trip.  This allows the ability to change out reels to different rods if needed.

DBCFR

I would like to revive this thread with some new information
On Cork puppy's
They spread the pressure of a rod clamp out over a greater surface area  on a cord or cork tape type of rod
Some rod blanks are thin and will crush under the pressures of a normal rod clamp
Cork puppy's save a lot of blanks and also make for a more solid reel mount.
They do not come with hardware so to use them you need to be resourceful in your mounting hardware chooses
But if you fish cord or cork tape handled fishing rods as most SoCal guys do they are the way to go...

Just my $0.02
45+ Years of fishing and rod building its been an adventure!